CRITICAL: Active Security Issue (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This time it is true the Department of Homeland Security in the US has even weighed in on it...

It is important that you disable Java (not javascript) plugin in your web browser. I can't give detailed instructions here as there is a massive number of combinations of web browser/OS to cover. Google is your friend.

Here is a Reuters link to the DHS announcment.
Link Removed

Here is a tech site report on it. (Easy read)
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...bug-is-being-massively-exploited-in-the-wild/

Here is a more details overview
Broken Link Removed

PLEASE NOTE: Even if your AV is up to date and you have installed all the latest updates you are still affected by this. You don't need to download anything or run anything as the bug can be exploited in what is known as a drive by download. You need to disable the Java Plugin for your web browser.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh, err, sheet.

Job for Pete when he gets hone in 90 mins, methinks. Mind you occasionally it tries to get you to update it and must confess, I never click on it cos when I have it;s said it couldn't do it. So dunno if it actually works on this puter or not, but it certainly must have a presence.

Not keen on going into 'regedit' like Krebs tell you to, meself .......

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As long as your Firefox is up to date it will have Java disabled as of last October for this very reason.:thumb:
Don't know about Internet Explorer as I never use it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have disabled java script in chrome and it stops me viewing the Forums latest postings . i click on forums and get a blank headed screen. re instate java in chrome and all is ok.

so i assume this part of the site uses java script

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As long as your Firefox is up to date it will have Java disabled as of last October for this very reason.:thumb:
Don't know about Internet Explorer as I never use it.

Not quite true. They disabled all OLD versions but not the current version last october. However they have now disabled the current version (2 days ago).

It is still best to check to be sure though especially if you haven't updated to the latest version yet.

https://blog.mozilla.org/security/

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Bit lost here (normal for me with anything techie!) :winky:
I have Firefox and I just checked plugins ....shows the following:-
Java Deployment Toolkit 7.070.11.10.7.2.11 - ENABLED
Java (TM) Platform SE7U9 10.9.2.5 - DISABLED

Can anyone reassure me ...or otherwise?!! Should I disable the 1st one? :Doh:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
i have disabled java script in chrome and it stops me viewing the Forums latest postings . i click on forums and get a blank headed screen. re instate java in chrome and all is ok.

so i assume this part of the site uses java script

The problem is with JAVA not JAVASCRIPT. And it is only with the Java plugin for web browsers not the Java runtime installed on your computer. You can leave javascript enabled on this site and others that you know are good. You can leave the Java install on your computer as you may need it for some software. However disabling the plugin that lets website run java software in your browser should be disabled. I Hope this is clear?

Bit lost here (normal for me with anything techie!) :winky:
I have Firefox and I just checked plugins ....shows the following:-
Java Deployment Toolkit 7.070.11.10.7.2.11 - ENABLED
Java (TM) Platform SE7U9 10.9.2.5 - DISABLED

Can anyone reassure me ...or otherwise?!! Should I disable the 1st one? :Doh:

It sounds like you have an old version of firefox? Can you update?
This should have been disabled by firefox from what I understand.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
The Java Deployment Toolkit does not get disabled automatically by the latest Firefox (or in my case, SeaMonkey) - it's not a security threat. You can disable it manually if you want and it's unlikely to break anything - it's usually used by the web browser to check what versions of Java you have running on your PC, in case the Java application (applet) being lauched from the web browser requires a specific version.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
just been on old Mo's post apparently the INTERNET doesn't implode today
so don't panic Mr manwering wear all doomed doomed i tell ye

Last edited:

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Gromett;702327 It sounds like you have an old version of firefox? Can you update? This should have been disabled by firefox from what I understand.[/QUOTE said:
I always update FF when it prompts me (which is often)......should I disable the Java Deployment toolkit then?? Many thanks for any advice.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It was disabled in my windows installation and is not present on my linux installations.

I just did a quick search for you and found this article on how to get rid of it.

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/25/how-to-remove-the-java-deployment-toolkit-from-firefox/

I am not certain there is any risk in keeping it however as previously posted and explained in this article it is a version management module. I don't like anything on my computer I don't know about so have totally removed it.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just checked on the linux install and surprisingly it is secure and doesn't suffer from this security issue (IcedTea)...

Still disabled it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
............ I don't like anything on my computer I don't know about so have totally removed it.

likewise..

to remove on Windows I would advise to use Revo Uninstaller.. this not only uninstalls but also finds and removes all the registry entries.. which there are many

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Gromett ....thank you very much!! :thumb: I have now disabled it It was shown as last been updated in Sept 2012.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back