Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My mate has just given me a CG type charging machine :thumb:
I asked him to get me a small engine about 3 mths ago telling him what I intended to make or have made. He got me a small Honda engine from a water pump for 20 quid from the sales rooms :thumb: within a couple of weeks which has been sitting in the garage along side a 150 amp alternator waiting ::bigsmile:
This ready built one comes with a Briggs and Stratton engine, dry clutch/direct drive to the alternator :thumb: It has made me rethink about the Honda one because I was thinking along the line's of belt drive but the dry clutch looks the way to go :thumb:
Terry

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
My mate has just given me a CG type charging machine :thumb:
I asked him to get me a small engine about 3 mths ago telling him what I intended to make or have made. He got me a small Honda engine from a water pump for 20 quid from the sales rooms :thumb: within a couple of weeks which has been sitting in the garage along side a 150 amp alternator waiting ::bigsmile:
This ready built one comes with a Briggs and Stratton engine, dry clutch/direct drive to the alternator :thumb: It has made me rethink about the Honda one because I was thinking along the line's of belt drive but the dry clutch looks the way to go :thumb:
Terry
sounds good! but the reason i went for belt drive instead of direct drive is gearing, my charger run's at three to one,that's to say for every 1000 rpm the engine does, the alternator does 3000 ,instead of one to one you get with direct drive so less rev's same output:thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
sounds good! but the reason i went for belt drive instead of direct drive is gearing, my charger run's at three to one,that's to say for every 1000 rpm the engine does, the alternator does 3000 ,instead of one to one you get with direct drive so less rev's same output:thumb:

That was my original thoughts Chris :thumb: but the clutch thing looks good and neat :Smile:The whole thing needs tyding up and I will probably fasten it all in a case/box it all in come warmer weather ::bigsmile: At the moment all I can say is it works :thumb::Smile: no idea how to measure how many amps it throws out but it charges at 13.5v plus :thumb:If it warms up a bit I will venture out and take a pic or two :Smile:My mate was watching for another engine for me at under £20 but as soon as he saw this he knew what it was from my description :thumb: and at a good bit less than 20 quid he bought it for me ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here are the pics :thumb:as you can see somebody clearly used an old cylinder type lawn mower for the parts :Smile: and a bit of the old grey matter :thumb:
terry

Attachments

• P1020821-001.jpg
    P1020821-001.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 104
  • P1020822-001.jpg
    P1020822-001.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 94
  • P1020823-001.jpg
    P1020823-001.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 89
  • P1020824-001.jpg
    P1020824-001.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 80

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Here are the pics :thumb:as you can see somebody clearly used an old cylinder type lawn mower for the parts :Smile: and a bit of the old grey matter :thumb:
terry

Ive a feeling you are going to put the silence back into suitcase generators :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Will have to do something Geo the only place to lift it from is the exhaust :Eeek: no doubt that will get very hot :Sad::winky:
Terry

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
that exhaust pipe looks like a gas meter fitting
possibly 1" bsp or 3/4 bsp with a brass nut at other end

possibly 5 light or 10 light nuts

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
the engine is off a suffolk punch lawnmower the altanator looks like a lucas A127,the control panel looks like something from a tree,and all put together by a company called heath&robinson.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: date mid 70s, value? less than £20:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
that exhaust pipe looks like a gas meter fitting
possibly 1" bsp or 3/4 bsp with a brass nut at other end

possibly 5 light or 10 light nuts

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Yep I thought the same ::bigsmile:
the engine is off a suffolk punch lawnmower the altanator looks like a lucas A127,the control panel looks like something from a tree,and all put together by a company called heath&robinson.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: date mid 70s, value? less than £20:ROFLMAO:

Didn't cost me a penny :thumb: and did cost my mate a lot less than £20 :thumb: When it gets warmer I can use the Honda engine and 150 amp alternator off a Citroen or get a 200 amp alternator instead

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Yep I thought the same ::bigsmile:

Didn't cost me a penny :thumb: and did cost my mate a lot less than £20 :thumb: When it gets warmer I can use the Honda engine and 150 amp alternator off a Citroen or get a 200 amp alternator instead
if you use a 200 amp alternator you will need a 3 to 5hp engine and the weight becomes a problem,even a 150 alt will need a fair bit of hp to run it,been there done that:Doh:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
machine mart sell good ones under £100 save all that messing-about we love the one we have and not that noisy:thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
machine mart sell good ones under £100 save all that messing-about we love the one we have and not that noisy:thumb:
you cannot buy a good 12v genny under £100.
you cannot buy a good 240v genny under a £100,you can however buy a 240v piece of tat,that mascerades as a 240v genny for under £100,but would you realy want to plug it into a £50.000 motorhome loaded with the latest electronics???

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
if you use a 200 amp alternator you will need a 3 to 5hp engine and the weight becomes a problem,even a 150 alt will need a fair bit of hp to run it,been there done that:Doh:
Hi Chris :thumb: the Honda engine is from a water pump -no idea on size- and the alternater turns by hand quite easy so how will a 200 amp one need a bigger engine ? I would think it takes a lot more effort to pump water than turn the Alt?
Come to think about what you are saying I often wondered why they don't fit 2 or 3 or even 4 alts to a small engine to produce power for leccy cars ? you could well have answered that for me ::bigsmile:
I think you are on about small genny's :Doh::winky:Not near as adverturous ::bigsmile: or close to sticking power into battery's-genny's give out max 8 amps and if you plug the vans onboard charger into it most vans are fitted with 12/20 amp chargers,(very few come with much bigger)CGGM comes with a small 50/75 amp alt to charge the batts :winky:

Having said all this in the 12 yrs or so M/H ing I have never needed either a genny or a Green machine :ROFLMAO: it's more of a challenge/wanting to make one for the fun of it :thumb: I cannot see me ever useing either or even carrying them in the van.::bigsmile:The only practical use I can envisage is when the odd friend /fam member wants a jump start -give them that and send them on there way :Smile:::bigsmile: :Doh:forgot they would probably need a lift to there none starting vehicle so it looks more like the truck and jump leads ::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
you cannot buy a good 12v genny under £100.
you cannot buy a good 240v genny under a £100,you can however buy a 240v piece of tat,that mascerades as a 240v genny for under £100,but would you realy want to plug it into a £50.000 motorhome loaded with the latest electronics???

we find it works fine with surge protection and if i could afford a 50'000 motorhome i could certainly afford a Honda generator in sted of just boging something and the under £100 generator conformers to all current legislation regarding portable generators duse that pice of scrap
and i did not at any time say it was a good genorator i sad i that it ok for us and we like it

my comment wasn't meant with any malice but seems you have taken it that way

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Hi Chris :thumb: the Honda engine is from a water pump -no idea on size- and the alternater turns by hand quite easy so how will a 200 amp one need a bigger engine ? I would think it takes a lot more effort to pump water than turn the Alt?
Come to think about what you are saying I often wondered why they don't fit 2 or 3 or even 4 alts to a small engine to produce power for leccy cars ? you could well have answered that for me ::bigsmile:

I think you are on about small genny's :Doh::winky:Not near as adverturous ::bigsmile: or close to sticking power into battery's-genny's give out max 8 amps and if you plug the vans onboard charger into it most vans are fitted with 12/20 amp chargers,(very few come with much bigger)CGGM comes with a small 50/75 amp alt to charge the batts :winky:

Having said all this in the 12 yrs or so M/H ing I have never needed either a genny or a Green machine :ROFLMAO: it's more of a challenge/wanting to make one for the fun of it :thumb: I cannot see me ever useing either or even carrying them in the van.::bigsmile:The only practical use I can envisage is when the odd friend /fam member wants a jump start -give them that and send them on there way :Smile:::bigsmile: :Doh:forgot they would probably need a lift to there none starting vehicle so it looks more like the truck and jump leads ::bigsmile:
terry
terry! all alternators turn easily by hand,its when you put them under load,they become a whole different animal,needing lot's of HP,to produce power:thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
terry! all alternators turn easily by hand,its when you put them under load,they become a whole different animal,needing lot's of HP,to produce power:thumb:

Cheers Chris :thumb: like I said in my other post you have answered my question.:thumb: I did not know they got harder to turn :Doh: but do now :thumb:
It got me thinking a few months back when I saw a leccy vehicle (ran out of juice ) with a main agents van and jump leads connected,obviosly giving a boost to get it home.
I thought of your machine and how handy it would be to carry one in the boot :thumb:Hence my thinking shove 2 or 3 alts on one and away you would go ::bigsmile: not that simple ?
Another use I thought about was for generating 240 v power off grid ie 10 x 12v batts connected to give 240v then blast with GM with 2/3 alts to rechage :Smile: but alas from what you say it won't work :Sad::Doh: EDIT it will /would work but not as I thought - back to the drawing board ::bigsmile:

terry

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Cheers Chris :thumb: like I said in my other post you have answered my question.:thumb: I did not know they got harder to turn :Doh: but do now :thumb:
It got me thinking a few months back when I saw a leccy vehicle (ran out of juice ) with a main agents van and jump leads connected,obviosly giving a boost to get it home.
I thought of your machine and how handy it would be to carry one in the boot :thumb:Hence my thinking shove 2 or 3 alts on one and away you would go ::bigsmile: not that simple ?
Another use I thought about was for generating 240 v power off grid ie 10 x 12v batts connected to give 240v then blast with GM with 2/3 alts to rechage :Smile: but alas from what you say it won't work :Sad::Doh: EDIT it will /would work but not as I thought - back to the drawing board ::bigsmile:

terry
mine gets used quite a lot,by neighbours with flat batteries,and one even charges up his battery on his saw bench,that he uses for cutting up tree's for logs:thumb:its fitted with a huge kohla engine with a combined starter-alternator but the alternator side give up years ago so he uses my little machine now and again just for chargeing:thumb:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011

This is correct, as an example if you have a loose/weak alternator drive belt the chances are it will squeal when you load it with headlights/heating switched on etc, proving it is working much harder. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back