Advice on pipe threads, BSP etc.... (1 Viewer)

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Trying to hook up a backup emergency internal water supply for my next trip in case external tank freezes. Got a 20ltr camping tank and want to run a 1/2" pipe from it to the pump. The tank has a tap which unscrews to leave a threaded hole which I would hope to connect some sort of hose pipe connector. My question is about the sizes, I've found a supplier that can do numerous BSP threaded males to a 12mm push on hose but not sure which BSP size I need. The threaded inside measures 25mm but not sure if this equates to a 3/4" BSP male or 1"?

Any one help me?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would think its 3/4 but a lot of plastic stuff has funny sized threads can you not try the tap you have removed up against some thing in b and q or similar

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would think its 3/4 but a lot of plastic stuff has funny sized threads can you not try the tap you have removed up against some thing in b and q or similar

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Trying to hook up a backup emergency internal water supply for my next trip in case external tank freezes. Got a 20ltr camping tank and want to run a 1/2" pipe from it to the pump. The tank has a tap which unscrews to leave a threaded hole which I would hope to connect some sort of hose pipe connector. My question is about the sizes, I've found a supplier that can do numerous BSP threaded males to a 12mm push on hose but not sure which BSP size I need. The threaded inside measures 25mm but not sure if this equates to a 3/4" BSP male or 1"?

Any one help me?

I think it is 3/4"....do you have a tap connector that you would screw to your threaded tap and connect your hose to...try that for size...most common one used is the 3/4" try it on the tap male thread... that you remove from the 20 ltr tank :thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
3/4" BSP has a minor diameter of 0.950" (24.13mm) and an outside diameter of 1.041" (26.44mm) and has 14 TPI.

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Thanks for all the tips and sizes, looks like 3/4 bsp but will get the vernier gauge out and measure more accurately and will probably try the idea of taking the part into b and q too to confirm.

Thanks guys.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just curious as to what you will be doing?

If you are taking this tank out of the van to fill then you will need the tap on to keep the water in when you are carrying it?

If not why don't you get a nut in tank fitting with a quick fit connector. It will be cheaper and more reliable than using a threaded connector.

I know this from bitter experience doing self builds. Nut in tank is the way to go for a fast and reliable connection.

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
bsp thread

if its 3/4 bsp you could try it on a washuhg macine hose as thats 3/4 bsp

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
use a water but tap with garden hose connector works grate done it on my first van when it got to cold for my under floor tanks:thumb:

google harcoster2431005 water but garden hose connector tap

you can use it without the baking screw it will screw straght in to your water carrier :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Wouldn't it be easier to fit a tank heater?

What sort of money and effort is involved in that? current cost is about £6 for a connector and 10 minutes to install so would need to be cheap and easy. Guessing a tank heater would need to be on a lot of the time as tank out in the cold so do they use much electricity?

My sort of theory is spend all energy heating inside MH so me and water warm rather than trying to keep external things from freezing - does that make sense?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back