My reverse-Midas touch strikes again....netbooks are doomed (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
An article in the latest "Computing" - ASUS, who introduced the netbook, have stopped making them. Apparently Acer have too.

I've done it again :Doh:

10 months ago I bought one....now they're on their way out.

A couple of months ago I finally got an e-reader....apparently they're about to be trampled under the rush of tablets :Eeek:

I bought an Amiga 500+ in 1992, and things soon went downhill for Commodore :Sad:

I've lost count of how many email clients I've tried over the years that were no longer developed 5 minutes after I imported all my old messages :shout:

Computer accessories that didn't survive the next OS upgrade....too many to mention :Angry:

I just thought I would apologize now, to anyone who finds in the future that their nice shiny gizmo has suddenly, overnight, become obsolete...

...it'll be because I just bought one :cry:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Not your reverse Midas. It is called technology. We are all affected by built in obsolescence.

Steve

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
With a bit of luck there will be some end of line netbooks going cheap. Got one already as they are ideal for the van but might be able to pick up a cheap backup :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paddyd887

Free Member
Oct 15, 2011
great barford
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
It can work in your favour though.
About 7 months ago I bit the bullet and bought in to new technology. My purchase was the Apple 4s smart phone, Great bit of kit!
Shortly after purchase, Apple brought out the new model with a new operating system. Glad I missed the boat on this one!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As mentioned in my thread on fax I've been clearing out the loft. Apart from the modems I found several different network adapters (including PCMCIA and a parallel port one), a parallel port Zip Drive (complete with receipt for £135) and goodness knows how many parallel printer cables &c &c

Whilst peripherals become obsolescent, though, netbooks won't any more than any other machine of equivalent spec. They are simply a form factor which is going out of fashion with the advent of touchscreen and convertible laptops which have the same portability and run similar (Windows) software (as opposed to Android &c apps). For Asus Netbook read Asus Vivobook, for example.

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Not your reverse Midas. It is called technology. We are all affected by built in obsolescence.

No denying that....I just have this special superpower, whereby I can accelerate this obsolescence.

With a bit of luck there will be some end of line netbooks going cheap. Got one already as they are ideal for the van but might be able to pick up a cheap backup :Smile:

I bought my ASUS from Comet* last March because my 17" MacBook was too much hassle in my campervan, I was slowly wrecking it (broken Kensington lock, etc.), and lugging it around was a pain. The ASUS is, in comparison, almost disposable. It also had a matte screen, which is pretty rare nowadays.

If I'd known, maybe I would have braved the Comet closing down sale and picked up another one.

* - see, I did it again....I made Comet obsolete :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)I've lost count of how many email clients I've tried over the years that were no longer developed 5 minutes after I imported all my old messages :shout:(snip)

Please don't start using Eudora. I was pleasantly surprised to find that v 7.1.0.9 (which hasn't been developed for several years now) still works fine under Windows 8 :thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
No denying that....I just have this special superpower, whereby I can accelerate this obsolescence.

I bought my ASUS from Comet* last March because my 17" MacBook was too much hassle in my campervan, I was slowly wrecking it (broken Kensington lock, etc.), and lugging it around was a pain. The ASUS is, in comparison, almost disposable. It also had a matte screen, which is pretty rare nowadays.

If I'd known, maybe I would have braved the Comet closing down sale and picked up another one.

[HI]* - see, I did it again....I made Comet obsolete :Doh[/HI]:

please please please - buy the daily mail......::bigsmile:

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Please don't start using Eudora. I was pleasantly surprised to find that v 7.1.0.9 (which hasn't been developed for several years now) still works fine under Windows 8 :thumb:

I never could get comfortable with Eudora.....maybe it's like Marmite....so you're safe :Smile:

please please please - buy the daily mail......::bigsmile:

It's already obsolete.

As in, I make things as obsolete as the RFU? Or should I be an honorary member? :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back