Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I recently applied some General purpose silicone mastic around my shower tray but it really didn't adhere to the shower tray very well and only lasted a few weeks before it started to come off.

The shower tray is a smooth blue plastic molding, I am not sure what type of plastic it is but it has that waxy feel to it, not unlike a kitchen chopping board.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the best type of sealant to use .
Many thanks

Neil

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
HI TRY Link Removed
or there STICKS LIKE range -comes in white or clr
terry
Edit if you use silicon you must use a low modulus one ---not high modulus

Last edited:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
Silicon

Hi, can't remember name but sold in aquarium and tropical fish places. Yellow tubs. £12 but can be applied under water. Did a split in ours. Perfect....just be careful black and clear are in same colour tubes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I recently applied some General purpose silicone mastic around my shower tray but it really didn't adhere to the shower tray very well and only lasted a few weeks before it started to come off.

The shower tray is a smooth blue plastic molding, I am not sure what type of plastic it is but it has that waxy feel to it, not unlike a kitchen chopping board.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the best type of sealant to use .
Many thanks

Neil

After trying dozens of silicon sealants over the years, the only one I buy now is Dow Corning - completely reliable.
Sikaflex is also highly recommended for gluing and sealing any thing.

Alex

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
sealer

dow corning is the way to go most good plumbers merchants should sell it , make sure all the old sealer is cleaned off and it must be 100% dry or it will not stick and leave for at least 24 hrs befor useing it

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
After trying dozens of silicon sealants over the years, the only one I buy now is Dow Corning - completely reliable.
Sikaflex is also highly recommended for gluing and sealing any thing.

Alex

dow corning is the way to go most good plumbers merchants should sell it , make sure all the old sealer is cleaned off and it must be 100% dry or it will not stick and leave for at least 24 hrs befor useing it

As I said in my earlier post, if you want to use DOW CONING make sure it is LOW modulus :thumb:if you use a high mod one it will NOT stick to plastics and peels off like a elastic band which is what OP says happened :Eeek:::bigsmile:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

Many thanks

Neil

best by far (but difficult to find) Tech 7 most advanced M7 POLYMER adhesive/silcone... general purpose silicone will not take the weight movement on the tray, all M7 Polymers will dry flexible and retain their adhesive power.

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Thanks very much for the advice folks, will see if I can find some now.
Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back