Peak district / shrewsbury etc (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Everyone, I need a few suggestions for a trip we will be taking june / july noty sure wether 2/3/4 weeks. We are planning on visiting a couple of rallys with fun during our time up there, misterton and shrewsbury also want to see the area around buxton peak district, and while we are up that way we would like to visit llangollen viaducts etc. So all suggestions and idea's will be much appreciated, Many thanks , Terry:sin:

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
Lady Margaret's

Hi Terry,
CC site (called Lady Margaret's) at Chirk is very close to the Aquaduct on the Llangollen Canal.

Martin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'll toss in....

Greenhills Bakewell. Bakewell Puddings.

CC Chatsworth. Chatsworth.

CC Castleton. Loads of caves.

Callow Top Ashbourne. Cycle Track.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Hi Terry,

The Blue John Cavern, near Castleton, is well worth a visit. If you like caves and mines and some interesting geology.
Post Code S33 8WA.

Mike

vanfourme

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
hey there,
I'm lucky enough to live near the peak district - in fact its my playgound..

buxton is a super little town great architecture - check out the theatre there - its a lovely old victorian theatre...

also check out the caves in buxton - there quite good on a rainyday.

chatsworth is amazing and a campsite just round the corner - super walking in the park for your spaniel ! also some really nice pubs and resturants near by !

Matlock Bath is worth a visit too - its like a sea side town but in a gorge - quite an odd but interesting place - also some great dog walking

also check out the Hope valley - Edale (start of pennine way) has some super walks and amazing views ! Also check out Castleton and the castle (pevril).

If you're wanting to get a bit off track - check out Stanton moor and 9 ladies stone circle - great walks up there. Also stanage edge (remember pride and prejudice)

Also check out monsel trail... ohh so many places - I'm sure you'll have a great time. if you want any more help then pls let me know.
happy to help.
s

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hee hee at Matlock (Bath), plenty of bikers and great fish & chips! LOL

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Cloverfields Touring Park, HarperHill, just outside Buxton.

http://www.cloverfieldstouringpark.co.uk/

Just spent Christmas and the New Year there. Smallish site, all hardstanding and posh showers with piped music and free sweeties in a bowl. :ROFLMAO: :thumb:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just spent Christmas and the New Year there. Smallish site, all hardstanding and posh showers with piped music and free sweeties in a bowl. :ROFLMAO: :thumb:

I watched it being built seeing as it's on one of my main routes. Trouble is, like a lot of sites in that area there is sweet FA within reasonable walking distance.

Fine if you like that but we do like a bit of something to walk or cycle to.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Shrewsbury - Hawkstone Park is pretty unique. A collection of Victorian oddities and follies that once formed an early theme park.

Llangollen - I love the place. The walks around Trevor Rocks and Castell Dinas Bran offer impressive views, as does a hike up World's End Gorge and over the top to look across Cheshire to The Pennines. Only problem is I wouldn't advise driving a camper van up there - it's a bit narrow, windy and precarious in places. Maybe you're energetic walkers or cyclists?

In the town, the Corn Mill Pub/Restaurant that overhangs the River Dee near the bridge is very nice, especially if you sit out on the decking on a sunny day and watch the kayakers getting the washing machine treatment in the rapids. Also about half way up the main street, opposite the tourist information office there's a cafe with a vast second hand bookshop upstairs.

There's also the steam railway that runs excursions up and down the valley, and the Valle Crucis Abbey with nearby campsite.

Here's some Llangollen snaps to whet your appetite.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I watched it being built seeing as it's on one of my main routes. Trouble is, like a lot of sites in that area there is sweet FA within reasonable walking distance.

Fine if you like that but we do like a bit of something to walk or cycle to.

True, but we like walking. So up onto the Peaks and all routes finished at the Pub in Harper Hill. Before we left the barman used to say "usual", when we walked in. :ROFLMAO:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Even cheaper !!

:youbetcha:
If you want to go into Shrewsbury, not the easiest place with a van.
We normally use Oxon Hall
http://www.morris-leisure.co.uk/caravan-parks/oxon-hall/overview.htm

The site is a few minutes walk to the park and ride, there is also a Co-Op supermarket and a fish and chip shop at the park and ride.

Opposite the entrance to all the above is "The Grapes" Pub ! Val, the landlady, lets you use the rear car park (very Large) to stay overnight if you use the Pub !!:thumb:

Carvery every day...2 for the price of 1 !!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

I use it frequently when in the UK !!:youbetcha:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Are the cable cars still running near Matlock Bath? Heights of Abraham?
And illuminated boats on the river?
It's a beautiful area to visit & I can recommend the Blue John Mines too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back