Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
We went a good few years back whilst still using a tent, we were there for around a month the first time and had a good time, at the time we were well into car boot sales and have to say we made a killing while there, buying there and selling when we got back made us enough to completely pay for the holiday. we stayed on a site called The Old Touring Barn, nice site and not all cramped and crowded like some over there. The one thing that puts me off going now is the extortionate ferry costs especially for the outfit we have now , I believe it is the most expensive ferry in the world mile for mile.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We were there last year stayed Whitefield forest site which was excellent, public transport on the island is great, we never moved the van all week. Red funnel had a deal last year that included camp fees and ferry crossing.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I can only echo Golly j's post, we had a Red Funnel deal to Whitfield Forest site.
I think we paid about £130 for 5nights camping and return ferry. An excellent site with very good facilities and good transport links nearby. There is plenty to see and do on the I.O.W., the roads in places are narrow but we used public transport to get about.
Brisey.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Red funnell deal is really good we stayed at Appledurcombe nice site, is around the £150 mark.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We did'nt find the ferry expensive in fact just the opposite. We went last year with Red Funnel 6 nights at Appledurcombe 8 metre tag axle Hymer £130 all up campsite and return ferries. Subscribe to Red Funnel website and they'll advise you of any deals first.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Went a few years ago with a 32ft RV. Not that expensive to get there, but in all honesty I'm not sure that it was worth it or would go again. Dont get me wrong. It's nice. Good scenery, couple of nice twee villages..........but not really worth it. Plenty of just as good places on the mainland. I think it's one of those places which draw peoples imaginations just because its an island.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Don't know if it's still available, but we paid for our return ferry in August 2011 using Tesco vouchers. :thumb:

Enjoyed our trip, and because it was peak season we stayed at a couple of Camping and Caravanning Club temporary holiday sites for a few pounds each night - excellent value.

Mike

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
maybe I'll have to take another look at the ferry prices, last time I looked on the wightlink site I think I got a quote bearing on rediculous. our unit is just over 8 meters long but I think our problem was the height as it is over 3 meters

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Darrell ( son of mine ) loves the place.. He has been in his motorhome and before that a caravan..

I have only been once as a kid but to this day remember it as a really lovely place to go

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
My only advice, without a direct question, would be that Wightlink have decided that they know best and a TOAD is NOT a trailer.

They insist that it is paid for as a separate car (and driven on by another driver) which makes the already expensive ferry fare extortionate. Given that, on some sailings, they allow a caravan to travel free and their prices for a motorhome are ALWAYS more than for a car and caravan (I always had to pay more than my daughter who's unit is longer) I find their attitude to motorhomes unbelievable and refuse to use them.

On the other hand Red Funnel allow me to travel cheaper when I have the car or trailer behind the RV than without! Apparently it alters the type of ticket and gives a worthwhile reduction. I have been known to tell them that I am going to collect a trailer or have had to leave it on the North Island as it broke!!

I have no connection with either company.

If you have any specific questions about the Island feel free to ask or pm me.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Gromit, As said before ferries are expensive, best to get an inclusive package from one of the campsites, my preference is whitefield forest site , it's the only campsite I use ( only use cs or cls)when staying on the island. I believe wightlink have now stopped there dream ticket night sailings which I have always used as only £30 return, I haven't been on the website to see what offers they have this year As Phil1946 said if you state what you like to do or see either of us will give you some idea's or you can PM me or him , as both of us live on the island. If you do decide to come to the island you could stay for the 5 day or whatever inclusive package and ask the ferry operator if you could extend your ticket and stay at various 5 van sites which range from £6 up to £11 ,there's some very nice secluded ones over here or even wild camp as I used to do I can give some suggestions on both. The island has a lot to offer with very little mileage involved , about 10 beaches ranging from seasidey to rugged, some quite good cycle ways also lovely walks & scenery.

Terry:sin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back