Jeep Grand Cherokee Rear Brake Problem (1 Viewer)

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hope someone on here can help me with this one.

Just took our 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee to have new brake discs and pads all round (the old discs were warped and worn). Garage did the job, paid them and took the car home.::bigsmile:

When I got it home the rear brakes were smoking and extremely hot. Took it back to the garage who have had it all day and replaced a pipe they said was perished and may not have been alowing the fluid to run back (I thought it sounded like bull :Doh: as well!!!).

Anyway took it for a little drive and then stopped and checked...all ok :thumb:.

Then went for a longer drive and when I got home same thing smoking, very hot rear brakes :cry:.

Anyone got any idea what the garage have done to my car?? Apart from the worn/warped discs the brake have always been ok and never overheated before. Need to get this sorted as we are going to France on Sunday to see some friends :Eeek:

Thanks as always in advance :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Cant help but had one till recently and brakes were an issue.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
definately something wrong......

were the new pads/discs original manufacturer parts or did they manage to source them from a motor factors?

my advise would be to get the brakes smokin' then immediately, and cautiously, take it back to the garage and insist someone take a look then.

insist they change them again once the problem is resolved as the discs and pads will now be glazed and wont be as efficient as they should be.

could also be the pistons arent retracting properly if they were rusted due to spending a long time expanded with thin pads or the load compensator valve could be sticking on the back axle.

Vauxhalls were a bugger for warping new discs if they got to hot when new.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Laneside

Hi

Had very similar problem with a Ford Explorer a while back, its a fair chance that it is getting ready for new brake calipers.

This doesn't always show with part worn pads, it only shows when pistons are pushed all the way back to accomodate the new obviously thicker pads and the very outer edge of pistons are pitted or corroded. They come out under the high pressure of braking but will not relax all the way back in.

Alan

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Sticking calipers sounds plausible, some Jeeps are known for caliper issues, usually fronts, but I'm not so familiar with the later ones.

Worth a good google, I have a niggly feeling I've read of these exact simptoms somewhere before, usefully without obviously reading the result:Doh:

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Its back to the garage today they have had the calipers off again and ive inspected them and in all honesty they look fine, no signs of scoring or corrosion and the cylinders go in and out really easily. The garage has spoken to Jeep main dealer and they think it is a fault with the master cylinder (they have sold 143 of them in the last 12 months!!!) so we are now waiting for a master cylinder to come from Chrysler (tomorrow am delivery!!) to find out if that fettles it.

Bloody annoying though I only sent it in to be done as there was a slight judder when braking hard and thought it would be good to get it sorted before we head off to France :Doh: Wish id left the bloody thing alone :Angry:

mgriffico

Free Member
Jan 7, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,
Did the master cylinder replacement solve your problem?
I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have been living with the same problem for well over a year now.
My circumstances are exactly the same as yours...after i had all the discs/pads replaced the rear N/S brake can stick on when travelling on longer journeys. I too have changed the flexible hose, taken it back to the garage and am at a loss what to try next.
Any help would be really appreciated.

Mark

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Seized Calipers.

The floating rods seize fairly easily, a common problem. They should slide out easily, sometimes they grow in. If you can get them out, replace them -if not new calipers.

The brake lines today on 4x4's are very strong, as they are built to withstand rot and knocking about - this does mean that they will rot on the inside first. This usually becomes noticable when the fluid does not return (imagine a flap of rubber acting as a valve) or the pipe becomes blocked with rotting rubber (black fluid is a sign of internal rotting)

In your case, I would say that the sliding pinds have seized up - meaning the caliper cannot open fully to allow the width required of the new thicker pads.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Holy resurrected threads Batman - this ones over 2 years old.........:Eeek:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We had same problem on a Transit lwb van (2001) we had last year ... front caliper seized on. 2 garages said caliper was stuffed. It was actually the flexi-pipe which had rotted inside as mentioned above.
New pipe off ebay, £8, 10 mins to fit it, sorted.
A year after selling the van it's running fine, the problem has not reoccurred.

:Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
when they re bled the system after fitting the pipe if they just pushed the brake pedal to the floor it can damage the seals in the master cylinder and in some cases almost turn them inside out so then they will apply the brakes but not fully return to allow the fluid back thus appearing to be sticking callipers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back