Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Whilst at my sisters on New Year's Eve,after being plied with alcohol ,my brother in law done the expected and asked if he could borrow the Motorhome .He's been hinting for a while but never actually came out with it.
Just wondering what the rest of you do when this crops up,do you lend or not ,if you do lend who to family or friends also.
Being a newbee it's still very much my baby and the thought of anyone else using it,never mind poss breaking it or something in it,or worse!!!( feeling uneasy now)doesn't sit too well with me.
Wouldn't have minded as much if he wanted to borrow mrs Vlad,although an easy and immediate no would have followed.As it is its up in the air and adding to the dilemma is the fact that if they had one and I didn't they would prob lend it to me.
Vlad the unsure!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Insurance is your problem and maybe saviour.

Tell him he'd have to find his own full cover insurance.

But it's a seriously good way of falling out - "I didn't do that" "Yes you did" "No I didn't".

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you do speak to your insurance and see where you stand.

stipulate that anything broken has to be put right at their expense.
personally i wouldn't do it but as mine is over 3.5 tons there is only me that can drive it as everyone else has licences for up to 3.5 ton.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
That was the first thing I thought of Brian but for me and mrs Vlad fully comp only comes in at 230 per year.So he thinks if he paid to go on ours for a short time it wouldn't cost much.Has anyone done this and if so what was the cost?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i personally wouldn't put him on yours because in the event of a claim you get hit with the loss of no claims bonus.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I would not lend it if I did not feel comfortable doing so.

I sense you do not want to so, if I were you, I wouldn't.

JJ :Cool:

Have you Ever Fallen out with your Brother before
if so
Do not do it
. better a small argument with your insurers as back up
than a full scale family punch up.:Sad:

Don't wish to see your next post as
Vlad the Impaled

Roger

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That was the first thing I thought of Brian but for me and mrs Vlad fully comp only comes in at 230 per year.So he thinks if he paid to go on ours for a short time it wouldn't cost much.Has anyone done this and if so what was the cost?

I know Safeguard will do it, not that cheap but possible.

You really are stuck between the rock and the hard place, if you know what means, I don't but it sounds good.

"They" don't realise just how person these vehicles become, do they.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well if I were you - honestly - I'd ring your insurers with his full driving details - dates, claims, convictions, everything. And see what they say.

Some insurers won't do it anyway on even normal cars or if they do - charge prohibitive amounts.

Hilldweller - it's virtually impossible for YOU to insure driving a vehicle that isn't in YOUR name.

But Vlad, your own insurers refusal would let you straight off the hook as Brian said !

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
If you get on well together would it not be possible for you to take them away for a weekend somewhere they fancy going - could that be a possible compromise

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Personally, I wouldn't even if you could get insured - too easy to fall out with all the family if something goes wrong.

Another point - If you lend it once will they expect to be able to borrow it more often ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I have just read Scousebirds thread oh dear, its all to easy for these things to happen,
I know from when I foolishly put a pan in a cupboard above a work surface, result a big dint in top, at least it seems big to me.

You bought the van for your enjoyment, once you set a precedent, then how can you say no to any one else.

Make your excuses/reasons but I would say no.

Some people buy there vans to share with there children but this is a complete different situation.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I would give him the number of a mh hire firm and they could follow you on a short trip maybe ?
Or a white lie could be that you have been asked by others and refused so you cant make an exception !
Or just be honest and tell him you would be uncomfortable lending it to anyone and it would make your nerves play up so much youd need medication for the stress and would he want to put you through all that !!!:Eeek::winky:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My niece has asked me if she can borrow my van

I said, sorry no, because to someone who hasn't used one before, they are complex systems and she would need lots of instructions, and even then she might make a mistake with something because she doesn't understand how it works! My new(ish) van is still a mystery to ME in some areas. She understood and was quite happy with the explanation - perhaps your brother in law would be?

I should let him hire one...

Catherine

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A van is personal space, its your personal space, if he wants some let him buy, or even get a caravan that you can tow behind the motorhome. As to insurance why put your NC discount at risk. simple answer no sorry its not on and really unfair of you to ask.
Why not let him see this thread.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I keep mine fully loaded on the drive, except for food of course............

I have no room in my wardrobes at home for all the stuff in the motorhome.

I really don't know where all these clothes come from, because when I am on holiday, I usually wear swimwear or shorts, but motorhome is full to the brim with (well you just would not believe it) loads of clothes. I use the wardrobe and most of the cupboards and hardly ever wear any of it.

Alan luckily just packs what he needs.

So unfortunately I would have to say .....NO.... To anyone that may ask::bigsmile:

::bigsmile:

motomike

Free Member
May 2, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2008
Simples....No. Don't feel obliged to.
It's a big investment on your part, and too easy for something to go bad.

I learnt a lesson many years ago...loaned my Honda 750 to a mate to come on holiday, I was on my Kwak 1100. He came within an hairs width of running into the rear of me at 60plus...could've been nasty and two of my bikes totalled. Then where do you stand?

So, not worth the risk I say.

MM

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Haven't lent this one as no one has an HGV licence, but I lent our Euro to the daughter and her partner in 2003, just put him on the insurance, didn't cost a bomb, a hundred quid maybe. Never bothered me, its just a bit of metal, if it gets dented you can get it repaired. I told them if you dent it, don't worry as long as you are alright, that's all that matters.

Ian

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Haven't lent this one as no one has an HGV licence, but I lent our Euro to the daughter and her partner in 2003, just put him on the insurance, didn't cost a bomb, a hundred quid maybe. Never bothered me, its just a bit of metal, if it gets dented you can get it repaired. I told them if you dent it, don't worry as long as you are alright, that's all that matters.

Ian

Hi Ian

Got an HGV........

.......Can I borrow your motor::bigsmile::roflmto:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
As far as I am concerned anybody can borrow our camper, providing they give me a cheque for the full replacement cost and once it has been placed in my account they can use it. When they return the van I'll return their deposit less the cost of repairing any damage and less 500€ per week hire charge.

It's taken our friends a longtime but eventually they've realised I'm not a bloody charity, or a mug.

Nuff said :whatthe:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have never been asked to lend someone my motorhome but i did once almost offer it to a friend who's panel van conversions engine developed a fault and he wasn't sure he could get it fixed before the grass track race meet he was racing in.

fortunately for me he said thanks but i cant drive it as i only have up to 3.5 ton and trailer on my licence he'd taken the trailer test so he could go racing and had 3 ton gross transit.

so that got me off but i did offer to take the motorhome with his car so they had somewhere to sleep but he managed to fix his van.

if he'd just come out and said my vans broke can i borrow your motorhome it would have been a straight no sorry mate.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i have done it my brother borrowed my motorhome for a few weeks and he paid to go on my insurance as a named driver at £37 extra,for the life of the policy,and is still a named driver.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Ian

Ahh.. but that was your princess Ian

never knew a dad that could refuse a daughter when she has him wrapped around her finger.. mine is already hinting about driving lessons .. age 12 :roflmto:

In reply to the OP.. nope, I wouldn't..

deisel doctor

Free Member
Jul 21, 2012
stowmarket
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
Whilst at my sisters on New Year's Eve,after being plied with alcohol ,my brother in law done the expected and asked if he could borrow the Motorhome .He's been hinting for a while but never actually came out with it.
Just wondering what the rest of you do when this crops up,do you lend or not ,if you do lend who to family or friends also.
Being a newbee it's still very much my baby and the thought of anyone else using it,never mind poss breaking it or something in it,or worse!!!( feeling uneasy now)doesn't sit too well with me.
Wouldn't have minded as much if he wanted to borrow mrs Vlad,although an easy and immediate no would have followed.As it is its up in the air and adding to the dilemma is the fact that if they had one and I didn't they would prob lend it to me.Hi is that a cockerpoo by any chance..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back