This conerns all motorhome and camper van users... (1 Viewer)

louismc44

Free Member
Mar 12, 2008
Funster No
Hi all..
How are you?
I'm Louis from Kingston, in Surrey.
This conerns all motorhome and camper van users.
I have wish to talk about this new ruling that I think will concern all of us transit owners that live inside the M25
Anyone who has a Transit, be it a van or a motorhome conversion and it weights over 3.5 ton, will be subject to this new ruling in regards to the London wide low emission zone, which will be introduce July 2008..
If you haven't got a filter fitted, you will have to pay £100 per day or a £200 fine if you don't pay in advance.
At the moment of press, these filters cost about £3000-4000 each.
The second phrase will be introduce in Oct 4th 2010 for van/campers/motorhomes up to 2.5 tons unladen..
The only reason I won't be subject to this ruling which comes into law in July of this year, is that my van is registered as a motorhome.
I must admit, at this very moment I am very confused about all this...
I look forward to your comments..Thank you..

P.S. The last I heard, that the fee has been increased to £200 per day.
Check this site out for yourself..
www.tfl.gov/lezlondon

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Louis, welcome to the forum::bigsmile: Yes Livingstone is a prat, is Boris going to be any better?

Mavis has posted a lot about this Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

2escapees

Deleted User
Yes Livingstone is a prat, is Boris going to be any better?

Link Removed

I don't agree something needs to done to lower pollution! A good politician is not a prat just because he does something that you don't like. Pollution is a growing issue and Ken is rightly beginning to tackle it. If that cost you money TOUGH!

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I am all in favour of trying to sort out polution BUT only if it is proven beyond doubt that it exists in the first place - and in this case it is NOT!

It is a proven fact that China imprints a bigger carbon footprint in one day (24hours) the the entire UK imprints in ten years - so what little effect Ken is going to have on that is less than negligable.

However the effects on his treasure trove are much more obvious!

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I am all in favour of trying to sort out polution BUT only if it is proven beyond doubt that it exists in the first place - and in this case it is NOT!

It is a proven fact that China imprints a bigger carbon footprint in one day (24hours) the the entire UK imprints in ten years - so what little effect Ken is going to have on that is less than negligable.

However the effects on his treasure trove are much more obvious!

And their inflated incomes.:Angry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't agree something needs to done to lower pollution! A good politician is not a prat just because he does something that you don't like. Pollution is a growing issue and Ken is rightly beginning to tackle it. If that cost you money TOUGH!

Easy to say from France:ROFLMAO:

EDIT- Afterthought.... Livingstone was a prat long before he became mayor of London:Smile:

2escapees

Deleted User
Yes I choose to live in France..you could do the same! But my Mother lives in London as did I for 54 years. I was a qualified Public Health Inspector and we took daily pollution measurements. It does not matter about China in the context of London's pollution what needs to be controlled is vehicle pollution. Motorhomes are no exception. Here we have annual pollution checks as a part of the Control Technique and they are strict. All European countries are introducing similar controls so you had just better get used to it and support the appropriate action that is being taken!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
All European countries are introducing similar controls so you had just better get used to it and support the appropriate action that is being taken!

Sorry I'm with Jeremey Clarkson on Global Warming:ROFLMAO: And as for Livingstone, as soon as he stops drinking all day and during meetings, stops using appointed staff working on his re-election campaign while being paid by us from the public purse. Stops spending vast amounts of money on thinly disguised nor justified foreign swannies, I might stop calling him a prat, but I doubt it:Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
It's very laudible that Red Ken is attempting to do something. In comparison to the 50s and 60s the atmosphere is better,but now it has the different types of particles in the air.
But is he going to charge aircraft that fly over Central London and are more polluting than vehicles? And if the wind is in the direction of London what about pollution from power stations,shipping, Heathrow and Stansted airports.
I think Ken is a bit of a King Canute in this respect.

2escapees

Deleted User
Yes there are other pollutants but vehicle pollution is low level and affects those who live there far more. At the end of the day if you don't want to pay you just don't go there. If you live there get a filter and reduce your pollution level. You might thing Ken is like Canute but he seems to have a few lookalikes here.

AS for Clarkson he is so arrogant he uses his mobile while driving along the M40!

Last edited by a moderator:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Obviously, Mike, with your background (mentioned in other posts) you probably know more about the effects of vehicle pollution that many of us. However, I think the main point with the LEZ is the manner in which it is applied. The LEZ regulations already exempt vehicles built before 1 January 1973 and a few other types of vehicle.

There are a number of private individuals (don't know how many) who bought their motorhomes several years ago when there was no hint that this measure was going to be brought in. Some of those vehicles (like some of the exempted classes) cannot be altered to meet the regulations or can only be altered at high cost.

A proportion of these people reside within the LEZ and are now, through no fault of their own, faced with selling their vehicles (if they can) or paying through the nose to keep them. I am not going to argue that all motorhomes should be exempt but, to my mind, it is wrong that this (relatively small) group of people are not allowed exemption for their existing vehicles.

Graham

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Hi all..
How are you?
I'm Louis from Kingston, in Surrey.
This conerns all motorhome and camper van users.
I have wish to talk about this new ruling that I think will concern all of us transit owners that live inside the M25
Anyone who has a Transit, be it a van or a motorhome conversion and it weights over 3.5 ton, will be subject to this new ruling in regards to the London wide low emission zone, which will be introduce July 2008..
If you haven't got a filter fitted, you will have to pay £100 per day or a £200 fine if you don't pay in advance.
At the moment of press, these filters cost about £3000-4000 each.
The second phrase will be introduce in Oct 4th 2010 for van/campers/motorhomes up to 2.5 tons unladen..
The only reason I won't be subject to this ruling which comes into law in July of this year, is that my van is registered as a motorhome.
I must admit, at this very moment I am very confused about all this...
I look forward to your comments..Thank you..

P.S. The last I heard, that the fee has been increased to £200 per day.
Check this site out for yourself..
www.tfl.gov/lezlondon

You don't say what type/year your m/home is... remember that if it is registered new on or after 1 st Jan 2002, then it is exempt, because type approval meets the low emission std.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp

Let me get this right Ken livingstone is trying to stop pollution however he is prepared to be bribed to the tune of £200 a day and then guess what? You can do all the polluting you want to!!!!!!

What actually happens to this £200 does anyone know? Is it used to actively prevent pollution or does it just go to swell Red Ken's coffers?

Regards Pat

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
well Ive only got two things to say on this subject.

1) Red Ken as far as I am concerned is ace. He has brought in the congestion charges and now this. Having grown up in the big city, and regulaly, vistiting poloution and trafic is without doubt down. I don't have facts on this, just what I witness on visits.

2) When I go to London now days the public transport around the city is ace. Plenty of busses and plenty of tubes to get around. But most of all dirt cheap. I think it was £7 to travel all day on anything tube or bus and kids, get this, are free. £3 for an all day bus pass, an once again kids go free. Much better to stay out the M25 and then train/tube/or bus in for the day. You can even get a bus in to town from Oxford for a little under £5 so providing the car/MH/ restictions that are in place offer viable alternatives then I am all for it.

So its a vote for me, even if I cant abide the man in person.:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back