Are 5vers allowed on French Aires? (1 Viewer)

PaulJaq

Free Member
Sep 18, 2012
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Keystone Cougar 276EFS
Exp
Are 5vers allowed on French Airies and if so much you you remain with the 5ver?
Has any 5ver owners used any aires in the past and if so how was it?
We are looking to tour to Paris and then onto gorges du tarn massif central - anyone got any recomendations?

Dec 10, 2010
where ever we park up
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
just completed 6th year
Aires

Yep we used Aires on the way here,(parc verger) we have had no problems, was told to stay hitched up then you are a artic RV
regards
Tony

OP
OP
P

PaulJaq

Free Member
Sep 18, 2012
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Keystone Cougar 276EFS
Exp
Thanks for the info. I'm going to start making a plan!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Yep we used Aires on the way here,(parc verger) we have had no problems, was told to stay hitched up then you are a artic RV
regards
Tony
Parc Verger is a caravan site not an aire

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Parc Verger is a caravan site not an aire

maybe wrong, but i suspect pepper386 meant that en-route to parc verger they used aires..

to the OP - i think it may depend on the aire as ive seen a few over the last few years at aires in various places

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
was going to put up a thread are fiver's tugers or moterhomer's Q answered thanks roger:thumb:

Many thoughts on this point - some insurance companies classify them as motorhomes and want to insure both the trailer and traction unit as one . Others classify them as caravans - ours is classified as a living van. If you go on the ferry some operators classify them as Motorhomes as the trailer length is irrelevant to the length of the unit as the trailer overhangs the vehicle. In USA they are generally classified as trailer RV's

So you pays your money and takes your choice.

By the way I have never taken the 5'er over the channel but have been told by others that have - that there is seldom a problem on Aires if the unit is left coupled up.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
a 5er is what you want it to be-----ours is an RV----not a caravan::bigsmile:
I think you will be OK on aires if there is space---but during holiday season in touristy areas, better use municipal camp sites::bigsmile:
I think the biggest problem with aires is space as many are laid out for sub. 30 ft m/homes:Sad:
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
P

PaulJaq

Free Member
Sep 18, 2012
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Keystone Cougar 276EFS
Exp
Thanks again for all the replies.

5vers are not caravans, they are not motorhomes either. But as they look very much like a large american motorhome, so I suppose they are closer to them than small lightweight caravan made somehwere near Hull!!

The way we see it is you get the benifits of a caravan - much cheaper to buy and you can pitch and drive off locally with your tow truck; A MH towing a car trailer seems to defeat the object of having a MH, maybe a ped on the back rack makes sense! But we also get the benifits of a large MH, all the space, facilities, slide outs etc. Best of both worlds!?::bigsmile:

Will be careful on availible space and try to pick out and list a few aires which look like they have more space than others.

Will keep hitched up also, unless we need a quick trip into town!:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
As far as UK insurance is concerned over here most class a 5ver and truck as a motorhome, being vehicle specific hitch wise and being an american recreational vehicle van wise.
I have used an aire in the past as an overnight stop and the only person to complain was a british bloke, a french person was more interested in it from layout/slideout and how it attached to the truck. As long as you dont unhitch or put anything on the ground, but i wouldnt try to use an aire in summer they get too packed so maneuvering would be a problem

mike/jen

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
Powys
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
7 years
Tony, did not say Parc Verger was an Aire in his statement.
Parc Verger is in fact a campsite that caters for tents to Rvs of 40ft.
It has a fantastic reputation, the owners and wardens are very helpful and friendly and will go out of their way to help you. We personally find it a home from home and always stay here on our way to Spain and find it hard to leave.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's only a question of space, many aires will fit you a treat many will not like St Valery en caux
Many will be near empty others crammed

Edit more and more have card access systems with clearly marked bays that simply would not be big enough so it's down to common sense and preferably prior knowledge so if you're contemplating any particular aires its best to ask

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
fivers

Provided they only take one space and don't cause an obstruction I cannot see anyone objecting. However, if two spaces were taken, Don't think you would be popular. I have seen French people do their nut when a fiver took two spaces and I cant say I blame them.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I think 5vers are the closest RVs come to being sensible for European conditions. :winky:

Ostentatious luxury size wise when static but retaining the potential to be able to get around the local area... :thumb:

A bit "off-topic"... sorry... :Blush:

JJ :Cool:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
as I understand Aires are strictly for camping cars. It is not what we may think is or is not a camping car.... its their system so we must (as guests) abide by their rules. :Smile:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
What about motorhome and trailer - are they accepted on aires?
I have never had any problems with motorcycle trailer but always unhook and tuck it behind or up the side of my motorhome taking up as little space as possible so as not to cause any inconvenience or take up the room for another motorhome........seems to be ok.:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
On one aire, when we had a car on an a frame (long while ago!) we only took up one bay, it fitted fine.... told by warden to move it out as 'no cars allowed'. Using a trailer we have not had the same problem. Jane

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
as I understand Aires are strictly for camping cars. It is not what we may think is or is not a camping car.... its their system so we must (as guests) abide by their rules. :Smile:

That quite correct Mick....You can call a 5er what you like,....You put it in what ever class you feel it fits that suits you.....IN the UK......but you are not in the UK you are in France... they may see them in a different class altogether.

Mel

Hocky54

Free Member
Feb 6, 2011
Lowestoft Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel Dutchmen Denali
Exp
:thumb:
Are 5vers allowed on French Airies and if so much you you remain with the 5ver?
Has any 5ver owners used any aires in the past and if so how was it?
We are looking to tour to Paris and then onto gorges du tarn massif central - anyone got any recomendations?

No problem we have stopped at aires all through france and one in spain on our way down here to Almafra...

Julian :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back