Solar Panels - Which Sikaflex? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
So I've got all the components and when the weather gets better I'll be fitting my solar panels.

I'm a little unsure as to which Sikaflex to use to stick the panel support brackets to the roof? My panels are large 200w and I have two, I have 6 support brackets for each panel, 1 for each corner and two for centre of each of the long sides.

As the panels are quite heavy, what's the best way to stop the Sikaflex being squashed out from underneath the brackets? Would a few matchsticks do? They'd create a gap of about 2mm between the base of the support bracket and the roof. This space would be taken up by the Sikaflex of course.

Any tips gratefully received :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Are you also using a mechanical fixing ?

I wasn't planning to. The footprint of the six brackets is quite large and most of what I've read on the forums suggests that a mechanical fixing, screws etc, are not necessary. The only screws would be those used to fix the brackets to the panels. I always take the advice of those more experienced than myself, especially SWMBO :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I helped a fellow member fit 2 pannels to my Motorhome,or should I say held the ladder and passed him things.The brackets were screwed to the panels then the unit was sat on roof to get the best position.This was marked and the areas where the brackets met the roof were wiped down with white spirit.
Then some sikaflex 512 was applied and the pannels placed,no matchsticks used and the pannels pushed down well.This was last summer and within an hour of fitting had a forty minute drive home,after many miles since still stuck solid I check them every now and then as a precautionary measure.
I've 2 90 watt pannels on roof and 2 110 amp batteries and been wild camping in Scotland for 2 Weeks in summer and 4 days longest away in winter so far .Never out of power and batteries fully charged from pannels.
Regards Vlad .

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
That's great to hear :Smile: Thanks Vlad.

Some say Sikaflex 512 and other say 291 - hence my confusion!

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
He has fitted a few and an expert that quoted me close to a grand for the set up I have was also going to use 512.Infact I got a idea of what I needed from the experts sourced the bits on eBay and with the help of a FUNSTER saved a packet.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Vlad.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
John,

This thread Broken Link Removed outlines all that is required - See Andy's (Techno100) post (#7) with pictures etc.

I bought my Sikaflex from .

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
252.... Just to really confuse matters :Doh:

Broken Link Removed

Ralph....:thumb:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks guys.

Yes, I've purchased several tubes of 512 off Ebay but then got confused when others used 221 etc. Was just looking for the definitive answer as I'll likely need more 512 if that's the right stuff.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I wasn't planning to. The footprint of the six brackets is quite large and most of what I've read on the forums suggests that a mechanical fixing, screws etc, are not necessary. The only screws would be those used to fix the brackets to the panels. I always take the advice of those more experienced than myself, especially SWMBO :ROFLMAO:

I think I am a "belt and braces" safety first type, I have two 120w panels on my roof and used ss screws and adhesive.
At 70mph on a motorway a flying solar panel would be decidedly unsociable :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back