de-wintering (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
been preparing the van for newark after winter layup.
washed, hoovered, water tank filled and water heater bled through, heating checked ect.:thumb:

the last job..........refill toilet flush tank and put chemicals in black tank....ermmm......forgot to empty it after bosworth.:Doh:

i never realised what a good job formaldahyde does, definately no shaking to get the 'jobbies' out.
certainly came as a shock when i pulled the tank out.

it must act as an anti-freeze as well as we had a few really cold spells but no damage, luckely.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Just curious, did you sanitize the fresh water system?

i never realised what a good job formaldahyde does

There's a school of thought that says don't use any chemicals in the black tank, least of all formaldehyde. The blank tank is essentially a septic system, and allowing nature to take its course is all the "treatment" that's needed. Formaldehyde will inhibit (or kill) the natural process. OTOH periodic flushing of the black tank is appropriate, either using a built-in flushing system, or a wand with a spray nozzle that you attach to a hose pipe and stick down the hole.

Can't speak for the antifreeze properties of formaldehyde.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
John has a European built motorhome Tom, it has a removable casette which has to be carried to an emptying point - a different system to our RV black tanks :winky:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Thanks for clarification Linda. Maybe I could sell him some nose pegs :Smile:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
That's true Linda. Try selling him the macerator first, then he'll need an RV to go with it. Heck, give him the macerator and he'll be banging down your door to buy a class A.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just curious, did you sanitize the fresh water system?

There's a school of thought that says don't use any chemicals in the black tank, least of all formaldehyde. The blank tank is essentially a septic system, and allowing nature to take its course is all the "treatment" that's needed. Formaldehyde will inhibit (or kill) the natural process. OTOH periodic flushing of the black tank is appropriate, either using a built-in flushing system, or a wand with a spray nozzle that you attach to a hose pipe and stick down the hole.

Can't speak for the antifreeze properties of formaldehyde.

hi Tom,
i dont bother too much with the water tank as i use a seperate drinking water source, bottled water.
occasionaly i chuck in a couple of water purifier tablets just to be sure and give it a wipe out with milton fluid at the year end, thats it.
if i bought the van from new i would be more thorough but you dont know what the previous owner had in the tank hence bottled drinking water.

john.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Understood John. Which water source do you use to brush your teeth?

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Dave,

We use bottled water for drinking too. Just don't open your mouth in the shower ::bigsmile:

I sanitize the water system on the coach and on our boat after a period of storage. I dump a liberal helping of cholrine in the water tank, fill it with water, then run all the taps until I can smell chlorine and I know the lines are all chlorinated. I leave it for several hours or overnight, empty and flush, then fill. Add some drops of vinegar if the residual chlorine taste is a problem. I also add a little chlorine after each fill and before short-term storage.

BTW we could get into "how much chorine?", but it's not critical. I don't measure it and believe I can't do much harm if I put in 'too much'.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I don't personally put vinegar in, although that's the recommended thing to do. My wife sometimes complains about the smell of chlorine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back