France - to book or not to book? (1 Viewer)

Humphrey Hymer

Free Member
Dec 9, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer T625
Exp
Just got our first motorhome and intending to go to France this August. We are thinking of Eurotunnel and exploring eastern France down to the Alps. Would I be best off to plan an itinery and book up sites in advance or just play it by ear and go with the flow? Many thanks.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't book, it limits your flexibility and, I always find it stressful if I have to be at a particular place at a particular time. The places you find by accident are always the best anyway.

I have been touring France for around 30 years and have never booked anything and never had a problem.

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Never been to France in August. But!

The French take their annual leave in August and the roads and sites I believe are quite busy.

Cannot really advise you, but thought I would throw a spanner::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
France ! August !
I have never been and would not like to then... As said the French all take their holidays so it's busy.... If there is somewhere particular you want to visit I would book. Any other time of the year apart from August just go, never had any issues with getting a placement.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun

We go every year in July or August due to School holidays and have never book a site in France sine we had the motorhome. We did the eastern side a couple of years back and ended up at Annecy we didn't book a site all we did was pick about 10 site and let our daughter and her friend put them in order 1 to 10 and said we would try number one and if full go down the list this was first week of August and we got into first site.

Also worth getting yourself the book All the Aires some lovely Aires down that area, first one we ever stayed on was at Malbussion (spelling) it was right on the lake and a wee pizza van came round a couple of times and a roast chicken and chip van while every morning a bakers van turned up cost of aire was 4 euro a night.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've lived in France since 2007, last 4 years in the Dordogne and "busy" in France is not the same as busy in the UK.
Even in July /August I've never been stuck in a traffic jam, or failed to find a parking space in town and there are always plenty of places to stop in a motorhome. My small village has an official aire and also a huge riverside carpark where anyone can stop overnight.
15-20 minutes drive away the most stunning lake with free overnight parking, €3-€5 per vehicle per night to stop in Bourdeilles, alongside the river and within sight of the castle.
This is duplicated all over France. Meander and enjoy.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Generally, the second half of August is much quieter than the first half, because the French are returning from their holidays mid-way through the month, or just after. :thumb:

Mike

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I lived in France for 10 years. Took my now grown up girls camping every August.

For the last few years we have motor homed in France in August with my "new" boys (now 4 & 9). Never booked.

Just when we moved on we make a loose plan and if staying on sites as opposed to aires we would call up either the night before or on the morning to confirm a pitch was available.

No stress, no pre planned itinerary to follow. If you llike somewhere stay a bit longer if you want to..

Booking just ties you down... Enjoy...:thumb::thumb:

Ps.... Welcome to the best motor home site on the net....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Don't book. Just get (as previously mentioned) all the aires book. Also there are a few phone aps and the cci download.

Just don't leave it too late when arriving at your destinations so you've got time to move on if necessary.

We've only had 4 weeks in France since having our mh and you'll soon get the gist of it.

Enjoy the adventure.

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Sounds great !!!

Hi and welcome to fun

We go every year in July or August due to School holidays and have never book a site in France sine we had the motorhome. We did the eastern side a couple of years back and ended up at Annecy we didn't book a site all we did was pick about 10 site and let our daughter and her friend put them in order 1 to 10 and said we would try number one and if full go down the list this was first week of August and we got into first site.

Also worth getting yourself the book All the Aires some lovely Aires down that area, first one we ever stayed on was at[HI] Malbussion [/HI](spelling) it was right on the lake and a wee pizza van came round a couple of times and a roast chicken and chip van while every morning a bakers van turned up cost of aire was 4 euro a night.

Can't find this in my ancient Aires book !!:Doh: Please can you give some information as to where it is !!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
We are heading for our first trip over to France Easter or August so thanks also for the tips on here, I've recently got all the Aries book n map and can see it will be more than useful out there . My poor attempts at speaking the lingo with my welsh accent should be fun though I hope it doesn't get me in to much trouble ! :france:

Upvote 0

Bowman

Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
We found the French quite strange! In that they like to inspect you and vehicle before pitching up. Don't think it was just us, some poor family had a right argie bargie just in front of us because they had twin rear axle booked for a week just to get a "no your're not staying here" Would say see where the wind takes you, but in August???

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Wellll - French hols are from the weekend* before Bastille day (15 July) to 15 August, or rather the weekend following 15 August. Before and after that French roads are far less busy.

* 'Mad Saturday'

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
August...!

We have toured all over France since Mid 70s, in the early days we booked, but only once.
Favorite places (when kids were young) being Port Bacares on the med, 6 weeks July-August wild camping using Aires or like others parked up just off the beach.” Very busy”
That was pre sat-nav days and loads of fun and no bother, mingle with the locals, mostly friendly!
A bit different nowadays, with the height barriers, and no “Camping Cars” signs for The Motorhome(but be nice you are just parking) worked for us

On the Motorbikes, you can get away with the wild camping.
I agree with other funsters comments just go for it and enjoy…
Last year we went down using Aires downloaded to sat-nav POI ,

You can try
Aires de Services Camping Cars
Anyone wishing to download the Aires in France for sat-nav, have a look at this page select your sat-nav type and register

http://www.icampingcar.fr/

It is free to register and they will send you a download free to your email address.

Plug your sat-nav into your pc and transfer the poi Aires de Services Camping Cars sorted! :thumb:

Upvote 0

ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Haven't been to eastern France but by the west coast, we spent a day driving around campsites in early August trying to get something, anything, anywhere, due to a last minute decision to do the trip.... eventually got a place but it wasn't easy to find (7th site?) and lots of traffic noise etc. Agree the second half of August tends to be quieter...

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just got our first motorhome and intending to go to France this August. We are thinking of Eurotunnel and exploring eastern France down to the Alps. Would I be best off to plan an itinery and book up sites in advance or just play it by ear and go with the flow? Many thanks.

Where in South wales are you? not been in August as its French holidays but we just book shuttle out and back ( tesco travel vouchers ) and play it by ear.

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Don't book, it limits your flexibility and, I always find it stressful if I have to be at a particular place at a particular time. The places you find by accident are always the best anyway.
endee
I have been touring France for around 30 years and have never booked anything and never had a problem.

I think this absolute statement needs clarifying.

If you intend to go to such busy places as the river Ardeche, Mediterranean coastal area, Vendee etc from about 7 July to 14 Aug (approx) then you may need to book if you want a prime position near the centre of things.

If you are happier with the quieter areas for a few days only then booking should not be necessary though it is always advisable to arrive reasonably early. Long stay pitches are harder to find.

Outside these date booking should not be necessary at all.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You have now surely got the picture about booking. If using Aires they cannot be booked anyway, just turn up and if not suitable go on to the next (there's always another not too far away).

Do not underestimate the vast size of France. You may plan to reach a particular area and find that it is further than you think - and there's so much more to see on the way.

As said in previous posts being tied to being in a particular place at a particular time can add stress and a sense of rushing (missing what there is to see en route) We, therefore only book our ferry outbound so are not worrying about how far we can travel before having to rush back to catch the ferry home. When we get towards Calais/Dunkirk on our way back we can book the ferry for a day or two ahead and know that we are already near the coast so no rush.

If you have other queries just ask. You'll get plenty of advice here. (And don't forget that the best questions are often the ones people are reluctant to ask because they feel like it may be a silly question - no such thing! It's bound to be something the others wanted to ask but didn't like to!)

Wyn

Upvote 0

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
august 2010 we went to Perpignon, south east coast to visit friends in our MH wanted to stay in campsite was advised by our friends to book up but took advice from another forum that it was not necessary, On arrival , every site we enquired was full and any aire that was near coastal area was jam packed after mid day. Did spoiled our visit a bit as we had to plan where to stay daily and ended up leaving for inland early where places in aire and campsite had more availability.
If we go agiain and want to stay in a campsite at coastal area we will certainly book in advance.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We did the same trip last year, make sure you go through Alsace on the way. Its a beautiful trip. We used "aires and France passion sites" and just turned up, didnt have a problem at all. some of the seaside stops were crowded at that time of year.
Phil n Gill

Upvote 0

Spidermonkey

Free Member
May 8, 2012
back in uk for a while
Funster No
MH
sold - none at the moment
Exp
June 2012
We came over to France in 1st week of July and spent the 1st week on campsites but then used mainly aires after that. Had no probs getting in even round all the coastal areas. Only probs seem to be as you get towards winter some sites close down, hence why now in Spain. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
As you have seen from the posts above, if you do not want to book in the peak holiday season then its best to avoid the obvious places that will be busy, i.e., the coastal areas. Inland there are so many beautiful and interesting places to visit, and you should have no problems in finding a place. Although we are busy in that period we have never had to turn anyone away, but a couple of outfits have been accommodated in unusual places!

Aires in the main holiday locations will often be packed, so you would need to get there early, and you may find yourselves very close to your neighbours.

Wherever you go enjoy your traveling in what is a beautiful country.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Can't find this in my ancient Aires book !!:Doh: Please can you give some information as to where it is !!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hi it's actually just across the lake from Malbuisson so I lied :ROFLMAO: its right next to the municipal campsite think the aire may be call saint Pont de lac, if this doesn't help let me know and I will pop into motorhome and check my travel journal or my aires book. I think from memory there where two aires in the area the one we stayed on was just outside the campsite and the lady from site collected money, I also managed with my good looks and charm get free use of the showers in the campsite. They also had rowing boat hire and table tennis table at the aire. Got very busy daytime with cars but that was a sat morning in August.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Kim and I have booked beginning of June to beginning of August to travel through France. If the weather is good we will stay in France if not we will head into Spain/Portugal.
So thanks for all the tips - we will not be doing much planning but will try the France Passion.
Don

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We have toured all over France since Mid 70s, in the early days we booked, but only once.
Favorite places (when kids were young) being Port Bacares on the med, 6 weeks July-August wild camping using Aires or like others parked up just off the beach.” Very busy”
That was pre sat-nav days and loads of fun and no bother, mingle with the locals, mostly friendly!
A bit different nowadays, with the height barriers, and no “Camping Cars” signs for The Motorhome(but be nice you are just parking) worked for us

On the Motorbikes, you can get away with the wild camping.
I agree with other funsters comments just go for it and enjoy…
Last year we went down using Aires downloaded to sat-nav POI ,

You can try
Aires de Services Camping Cars
Anyone wishing to download the Aires in France for sat-nav, have a look at this page select your sat-nav type and register

It is free to register and they will send you a download free to your email address.

Plug your sat-nav into your pc and transfer the poi Aires de Services Camping Cars sorted! :thumb:
how do you get google to translate a web site i cant work out this site

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish

how do you get google to translate a web site i cant work out this site
Hi
When nyou click on the link it will (should) bring you to main home page there is no auto-translate page as this is a frence site.
So click on the top Photo(or the inserts)you will then open sub-page with map of the Frence Departments plus lots of other info.
selecting a "Department brings up a map of aires in that area selection of photos also
On the left there is a task pane,for GPS POI info select "installatio Sur GPS"
When page shows you can copy & paste should you wish the whole page,into google translate.Before you do that look at the :Choisissez maintenant votre type de GPS :(Now choose your type of GPS:)
select your type of GPS click on it that will open to:page that roughly translates to: Legal Information.
i-Camper can not be held responsible for any errors in the content of files being transferred.
These files were compiled by i-Camper and may not be posted on another site, or sold.

Complete the form.

name..........(surname Here)
first name....(first Name )

Email Please enter your correct email address!

when you have filled in name and email section click the envoyer tab and wait for an email you will be sent a zip file of

Corordenates of aires you can transpher over to your sat-nav by conecting it to your pc(refer to your Gps manual)
Phew...hope this is a help ......I need a pint :Smile:

Upvote 0

PaulJaq

Free Member
Sep 18, 2012
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Keystone Cougar 276EFS
Exp
5th wheeler on airies??

Hi,

It's about 10 years since we went to France with the caravan. Have now got a fifth wheeler and would like to do a be of a two week tour late July / Aug this year.:Cool: Maybe call at Paris for a few days - do the city and maybe disney, then down to the Massif central gorges du tarn - conoeing on the rivers - we have teenage boys now whom want adventure! Was thinking of getting the big pitch guide, but the airies look like a great idea. We have never noticed them 10 years ago as we were caravaners. A couple of questions. some of them might appear a bit stupid :Doh:Can you pitch up, lock up and wander off in the truck leaving the 5th wheeler / MH on the pitch, or can that be a bit risky / not allowed? are they likely to have issues with a 5th wheeler rather than a MH, we have all the same needs, on board water, waste, power point would be useful but we have a LPG genny? Are aries private or public / council? Do you book or just turn up and pitch and some one comes for the fee? Can you stop as long as you like? Anyone got any reccomendations for particular aires in the Paris / gorges du Tarn areas, 5th wheeler friendly - big pitches, views, security - not in a exposed position prone to problems? how do you pay - for the pitch and extra for the power point?
Cheers Paul
PS the wife has always been one for booking, I like the idea of turning up and pitching with options / an outline plan.:thumb:

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi,

It's about 10 years since we went to France with the caravan. Have now got a fifth wheeler and would like to do a be of a two week tour late July / Aug this year.:Cool: Maybe call at Paris for a few days - do the city and maybe disney, then down to the Massif central gorges du tarn - conoeing on the rivers - we have teenage boys now whom want adventure! Was thinking of getting the big pitch guide, but the airies look like a great idea. We have never noticed them 10 years ago as we were caravaners. A couple of questions. some of them might appear a bit stupid :Doh:Can you pitch up, lock up and wander off in the truck leaving the 5th wheeler / MH on the pitch, or can that be a bit risky / not allowed? are they likely to have issues with a 5th wheeler rather than a MH, we have all the same needs, on board water, waste, power point would be useful but we have a LPG genny? Are aries private or public / council? Do you book or just turn up and pitch and some one comes for the fee? Can you stop as long as you like? Anyone got any reccomendations for particular aires in the Paris / gorges du Tarn areas, 5th wheeler friendly - big pitches, views, security - not in a exposed position prone to problems? how do you pay - for the pitch and extra for the power point?
Cheers Paul
PS the wife has always been one for booking, I like the idea of turning up and pitching with options / an outline plan.:thumb:

This is a wind up Yeah :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back