Protecting your acrylic windows (1 Viewer)

Letsgetaway

Free Member
Jun 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Caravan for 4 years; new to motorhoming
Hi
Do any of you use something to help protect your acrylic windows from scratches, maybe a clear film or such-like? Travelling through country lanes that have brambles etc sticking out into the road at window height are often never seen until it's too late and they've already done the damge:Sad::Sad:

Happy New Year
Simon & Rachel

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hmm, certainly worth looking into, no pun intended ::bigsmile: It certainly does scratch them as you hear the branches screech along the sides of the van. However I suspect that they might be just as likely to rip to shreds anything used to try and protect them.
Wyn

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Acrylic

Hi Letsgetaway,

Anything flexible enough to be stuck onto the window and coat it would in itself be vulnerable to scratching. But, acrylic is really easily polished and scratches removed so I doubt anything could be achieved.

Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Oh some on Jhorsf, I would expect that from my Dad, sometimes you are driving slowly and a seven tonne French wagon come hurtling down the lane, you move over to save your mirror and scraaaatch.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Be very careful with anything you stick to these windows. The glue will normally react causing a craze effect. It is much easier, and cheaper, to have the windows repolished which easily removes the scratches. I have mine done every 18 months or so and it costs about ÂŁ25, well worth it.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Be very careful with anything you stick to these windows. The glue will normally react causing a craze effect. It is much easier, and cheaper, to have the windows repolished which easily removes the scratches. I have mine done every 18 months or so and it costs about ÂŁ25, well worth it.

What do you use?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
"It is much easier, and cheaper, to have the windows repolished which easily removes the scratches. I have mine done every 18 months or so and it costs about ÂŁ25, well worth it."

What do you use?

And where do you go to get them done?

Thanks, Mike

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Acrylic

Get some Fenwicks acrylic polish its superb

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
When I bought my van all the windows were scratched the passenger side more so than the rest.I was advised by one of our members (thanks rangitira) to give Brasso a go,small circular motions and on deeper scratches go over a couple of times. Well I can honestly tell you they came up like new , a tub of brasso a rag and elbow grease so easy instant results.Give it a go!
:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Vlad.

OP
OP
L

Letsgetaway

Free Member
Jun 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Caravan for 4 years; new to motorhoming
Drive slower so you do not drive in the ditch

Trouble is if you drive slower the brambles will be on the window longer!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thanks all, just thinking that prevention would be better than cure. If glue can react with the plastic I'd better get the stickers off that the dealers stuck on asap.

Oct 30, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer b508
Hi have you tried shoe polish,
i was advised by a valeter to use shoe ploish to clean the windows on our hymer and i must admit it works it fills in the scratches ::bigsmile:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
What do you use?

I use one of the local guys who work in the trade. He frightens me when he starts. First wet and dry so visibility is nil through windows then special polish and bingo, no scratches.
Most mobile caravan/motorhome repairers can carry out this task.
I'm not brave enough to try it myself though.

GlobeStar

Free Member
Jul 23, 2012
Woodhall Spa
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2004
Acrylic windows

For aircraft canopies you use something called micro mesh. You have to go down to finer grades as you go along. It does take a little confidence though but it does work.

I've had a look on google and found these pads:

Broken Link Removed

Worth a look.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
BRASSO!!!!!!
No need for wet and dry,etc ,etc,no experts just good advice and an open mind.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Yes, Brasso... I use the wadding, circular motion all along the scratch(es) then buff with smooth cloth - takes minutes and the result is perfect every time.

:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I use one of the local guys who work in the trade. He frightens me when he starts. First wet and dry so visibility is nil through windows then special polish and bingo, no scratches.
Most mobile caravan/motorhome repairers can carry out this task.
I'm not brave enough to try it myself though.

I wonder how long it will take for your windows to 'disappear' as he's polished them away!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Toothpaste (not whitening or smokers type) works well too. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back