Mini Cooper convertible (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Thinking of buying one of these (4years old) or a MX5 for the wife as a runaround. Does any one have any experience of these please? Good or bad.
Cheers.

We had an mx5 while waiting for the new car

Good car better boot

Last mini we had was a1967 auto

I view the new ones as little BMWs

Seems between 2001-2007 there is a possible steering problem

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All I can say is DONT

Worse vehicle I have ever owned.. Constantly having serious faults such as ABS pump failing, electrical gremlins almost weekly, and now people are having major problems with the power steering failing causing accidents and near accidents ( just google mini steering !! Scary )

This report in the daily maul: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1149132/Warning-223-000-Mini-drivers-cars-suffer-sudden-failure-power-steering.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
do some internet forum reading before you buy a mini unless you like paying BMW a lot in repairs

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have a Mk1 1.8 MX5 which I intend to go (speed) hillclimbing with in the new year and its great fun. In standard trim its fine if a little low to get into. Mine's a bit stripped out, mildly tweaked and a pair of Cobra race seats with four point harnesses for safety, rollbar is next on the list. Its still a great fun cr but not good for long haul journeys due to the louder exhaust and less comfortable seats. Having said that I am going to Doncaster in it in a couple of weeks time. There are plenty about and older ones like mine are giveaway cheap, I paid 700 notes for a '95 1.8 is with 120K on the clock and 7 months ticket. Watch out for rust in rear of sills and rear arches, apparently there are two types of MX5, those with rotten arches/sills and those that are going to have rotten arches/sills.

No personal experience of BMW Mini other than a short road test in one but there are documented issues, especially worrying is the power steering issue as mentioned by Jaws.

D.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Go for the Mazda ,I had a mark 1 Japanese import owned it for around 4 years never let me down. Great fun to drive and the grin factor will last longer than your modern Mini.
If you want a Mini buy a clean or restored classic Mini ,the new ones just ain't Worthy of the name,their not even small.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
MX5 bullet proof, good fun and great with roof down. BUSBY.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, have had 2 MINI Cooper S, first was a hard top, then a softop.

The softop is a 2005, and now has 103,000 miles.
Good cars, but does burn oil. Back seats small.
About as much fun as you can have in a car
in this price range.:winky:

However, have you though of getting a small car that can be towed, like a smart in case you decide to tow in the future?

Also, road tax is expensive on mini cooper S - I think I pay about £ 260:Eeek:

S

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Wife's Mini Cooper sd is only £30 tax cant get me head round that one as it is 2.0

Andy

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
:Cool:Last Mini I had was a 1962 Speedwell by Graham Hill!

Wife is on her 2nd MX 5 1st was a MK 2.5 1.8 Phoenix which she kept for 9 trouble free years, she now has a MK 3.5 2ltr Kendo Roadster Coupe which is absolutely fantastic. Go for one of the numerous limited editions, depending on the age, check for rust in the sills and rear wheel arches, there was a clutch judder problem around 2000 to 2004, most will have been sorted by now, just check by reversing. The most fun you will have and still keep your license

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Had both.MX5 everytime.Bullet proof.&fun to drive.as said above just look out fot rust on early british models.Jap imports have more in them, eg electric windows air con.:thumb:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Thought about late mgtf,can be picked up really cheap,but you need to get one that has the head gasket done,wife has had 2, 2001 mgf Trophy and now 2005 mgtf 160,underated car 137 top end and 0-60 6.9 secs.there are loads of early ones about which proves they were built right.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=mgtf 160&_sop=3

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Mine's another vote for the MX5. We've had two (a then new Mk 2 on lease in 1998, and how a 1996 1.6 Mk 1) and both were/are not only an absolute hoot to drive but completely faultless with it. Younger daughter has current Mini Cooper and loves it, but I know which I'd still choose.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thinking of buying one of these (4years old) or a MX5 for the wife as a runaround. Does any one have any experience of these please? Good or bad.
Cheers.

I had a convertable with the electric roof (fantastic!) 3 years ago. It was a wonderful car and I enjoyed it for just over 10 weeks, then I saw the light and sold it :Blush:

If your wife likes to drive with the wind in her hair, high levels of noise, sunburn on those (rare) sunny days, only 2 seats, never need more boot space than a couple of shopping bags, and always driving 'a little bit faster' then she will love it ::bigsmile:

On the other hand, they are noisy, exposed, small, cramped and risky :Eeek:

It is of course a very personal choice. For me, I just got fed up with the wind blowing me about (I forgot to mention wind burn), having to wear a sun hat, not being able to take my wife AND daughter out for a 'little run in the country', only doing a 'small' food shop, climbing in and out every time (they are close to the ground!), not being able to see what's in front of the car in front (again very low) and going around every bend at least 20mph faster because 'it can and it will !' and racing every other car who dared to take me on! :Eeek:

The MX5 was truly the most fun car I have ever owned (can't comment on reliability as it was new) and the handling was super safe.........50/50 split and no vices. To be honest I can not fault the car in any way whatsoever.............

I just found that I wanted something more practical, more comfortable and more civilised.

I did join the MX5 owners club (great forum there too) and it appeared that the happiest drivers were the one's who kept the Mazda as their 'weekend toy' but drove a 'normal' car for all the other times.

Just sayin........................make sure your wife is very clear about the potential negative side.

By the way, at the time of purchase it was a VERY close run thing between the Mazda and the Mini..........upon reflection I probably should have bought the Mini with a hard top (ALL the fun without the inconvenience).

::bigsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I think .... you are either in Sports Car mode or you aren't. You only find that out by having one. The blowing about thing is a feature esp if you have a tall body, although there are deflectors that after-market firms have contrived with some success (eg for our MGF) that you only really discover from forums, if you can be bothered.

Pete's ex-wife has an MX5 - has had it quite a few years now, don't think they (her and her husband I mean) ever envisaged her keeping it this long, we're all in our 60's now - but she has cos she loves it. And although they do both have cars and I suppose would go on hols with suitcases etc in whatever saloon the other one is, she used it daily to commute (10ish miles each way at least) and they both drive it anyway for leisure and 'just to nip to'.

Pete has an MGF himself, and again beware the head! (gasket and/or head itself - may have been skimmed before .... but we know a man courtesy of the MG forum LOL) and could well be his - complete with all that work done properly 12 months ago - will be up for sale soon-ish as we do think we'll probably revert to one car after he retires. And will keep the C4 if that's the case. But that's not before end of Feb earliest. You can honestly get quite a lot of shopping in the boot, we often use it, eg yesterday we loaded up 3 assorted French supermarket giant 'bags for life' (each equivalent to at least 3 carriers) plus a v large bag of spuds with NP whatsoever in there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back