Washing hands whilst saving water..... (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Does anyone use anything other than soap and water to wash their hands in the bathroom in order to save water?

I know there are various potions and gels etc that kill 99.9% of everything, just not sure whether I could break the habit of a lifetime, but saving water would be good.

Thanks

Steve

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We use an anti-bacterial hand wash (not gel) as we do at home. Still use water but less than with soap. I often feel I still need to wash my hands having used a gel :Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't think hand washing uses much water in the general scheme of things, our main use is showering followed by washing up. We have antibacterial gel in the washroom, but its no substitute for washing. We only ever use handwash in a pump dispenser both in the van and at home.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Handwashing training I had when running care homes:
Anti-bac hand wash, all over hands, between fingers, rotate with palm around each thumb.
Rinse each hand from wrist to end of fingers, rotating under tap to rinse back and front.
Water has to be hot, and rinsing thorough to remove all handwash.

With all that palaver (and rinsing water) I use wet-wipes and hand gel (in pump dispenser 500ml from pound shop)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Have I just come across a tent camping forum here?????

Are people really putting saving negligable quantities of water over basic hygiene?:Eeek:

What about disposing of all those wet wipes, not to mention the cost of them in the first place!

Each to their own I suppose!:winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not coming to yours for a cup of tea:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

I didn't say pee in the teapot, I said pee on the hands.

I find urine in the teapot gives the tea an unpleasant tang. It does depend on the urine of course which itself is very variable.

However, in a Cappuccino it makes little difference.

Fancy a coffee ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Have I just come across a tent camping forum here?????

Are people really putting saving negligable quantities of water over basic hygiene?:Eeek:

What about disposing of all those wet wipes, not to mention the cost of them in the first place!

Each to their own I suppose!:winky:

Wet wipes are a bugger. At the site we stayed at for the Chester weekend, the loo emptying point was clogged up with those wet bum wipes popular with those suffering with the river Niles. They don't break down in the toilet tank, neither can the sewage works cope with them apparently as they don't break down ever:Angry:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
As the proud possessors of the bit of the sewer pipe serving at least 6 houses, that makes it's way across 6 back gardens and turns a right angle in ours which joins it to the bit that runs down the side of our house to the main one under the road in front of the houses, I can confirm that wet sodding wipes don't flush well.

And Pete knows a LOT more about that than I do as he was the poor bugger that had to unblock it. But then of course it was US that had the 'stuck' contents of said sewer coming up our kitchen drain. None of which even came from our own bathroom - which is 'round the bend' and a lot nearer the road drain than our kitchen.

Lovely .......

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
A conundrum !!!

[HI]I find urine in the teapot gives the tea an unpleasant tang[/HI]. It does depend on the urine of course which itself is very variable.

Fancy a coffee ?

Ah, but does one use one's own urine or perhaps some one else's, or, perhaps a cocktail !! It's all down to a matter of taste I surmise !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

[HI]I find urine in the teapot gives the tea an unpleasant tang[/HI]. It does depend on the urine of course which itself is very variable.

Fancy a coffee ?

Sure that's not [HI]Pee[/HI] Gee Tips Brian? :ROFLMAO:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

I find urine in the teapot gives the tea an unpleasant tang. It does depend on the urine of course which itself is very variable.

Fancy a coffee ?

Its almost as bad when people throw their dog-ends in the urinal.
Makes them very difficult to light!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sanitizer spray as supplied at all hospital ward doors

simply spray and rub hands until dry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Are you planning to row the Atlantic or a moon shot maybe. There is water everywhere why are you not finding enough to wash your hands.:whatthe:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Antibac gels & sprays don't "clean" your hands - they antibac whatever's on them! Your hands should still be washed whenever you use the loo - basic hygeine.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Does anyone use anything other than soap and water to wash their hands in the bathroom in order to save water?

Thanks

Steve

I am really interested in both.... why and where do you want to save this water? and..... how much water do you actually think can be saved?

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I don`t really, just one of those questions that cropped up in conversation with other MH`s.

I think we all `try` and save water just to reduce the number of times you have to fill up, especially when on a rally maybe the tap is a long way away and there is always a queue and you are up to your knees in mud......

There are many who do not leave the shower running as you would at home in order to save water (and waste emptying maybe), so it seems logical if you wash your hands say 5-10 times a day x 1,2,3,4 people, and if you leave it to run till hot as I expect most people do, it must add up, but how much I have no idea.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
There are many who do not leave the shower running as you would at home in order to save water (and waste emptying maybe), so it seems logical if you wash your hands say 5-10 times a day x 1,2,3,4 people, and if you leave it to run till hot as I expect most people do, it must add up, but how much I have no idea.

The shower thing is a given but guess you could always collect any water running (for whatever purpose) before it's hot and pop it back in the tank ...............

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Our shower head has an on off button on it so when we're in water saving mode (away from sites etc) we save a lot of water using this function.

My best way of saving water though is not to use the flush on the toilet (wait... it's not as bad as it sounds). We have a 1L squirty bottle filled with water and a drop of the toilet pre-flush stuff in it. Instead of pressing the toilet button and being disappointed in how effective it is we just squirt with the bottle. Much better and many more flushes per litre.

Then just wash hands normally.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sence of humour

I like your sence of humour Hillldweller but what a load off waffle about something as basic as washing your hands.
The problem with our country now is we are so obsessed with things like bugs and germs and everything has to be sanatised etc, before long the children will have no immunity to anything. we all got by somehow!
Pee in itself will not harm you (If its your pee that is) and a brickie friend and soldiers (Having been one) have used it to clean their hands esp after firing artillery and everyting is dirty anyway . It also helps to harden them after all it was once used in the tanning process for leather.
To return to the thread why don't you put the wet wipes in the BIN!!!
not rocket science

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back