When would you call it a day... ? (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
At what time of your life would you consider giving up "Motorhoming".... ?

Old age.... Financial.... Health....:Blush:

At the moment I would contemplate calling it a day because of so much traffic and crazy drivers... I dont enjoy driving like I used too say ten years ago... :Smile:

What about you.. ?

deisel doctor

Free Member
Jul 21, 2012
stowmarket
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
To me not yet although I fall into all them catorgaries I think when they take me to the
Cremertorium in my m/h I'll pack up

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think this would be totally depending on personal circumstances, at the tender age of 45 I hope to be motor homing for many years to come and as long as I have my health I hope to continue.

Finance could bugger all my plans though as you never know what's round the corner, will I still have a job in 5 or 10 years time when on pension will I be able to fill the tank up, hopefully I will.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

At the moment I would contemplate calling it a day because of so much traffic and crazy drivers... I dont enjoy driving like I used too say ten years ago... :Smile:
What about you.. ?
Health and financial dont give you any option but age is not really a consideration if you are still enjoying it. Perhaps what you need is a complete change. From experience I can say that downsizing was my saviour. I wasn't using my motorhome so I got shot of it, then started again in a totally different guise. I think that driving one of those monsters on today's roads is a form of masochism but each to their own.:winky:

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
All you can do is carry on motorhoming while it suits you, there is not much fun in driving now. The roads now are full of what I call whacky racers, trying to cheat death or injury at an alarming rate. I have heard drivers talking about beating the time of arrival set by their sat nav's. mad really, I think vehicles are to fast these days, one solution would be to set a limiter to them like on trucks, but most would moan about that. The pace of the way people live these days is quite frightening. Proberbly won't change for years to come.the decision can only be yours, keep going while you can that's what I say don't let the bxxxxxds alter your enjoyment.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Will keep going as long as I can, bearing in mind health, finances etc and as long as I have the inclination :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

What about you.. ?

Could it be time to change your van? I know for us (still have same van) the way we use it has changed-- from going away from anything 2 to 4 weeks at a time circumstances change dramaticaly just over 3 yrs ago and now we tend to do more 2/3 nights away even 1 nighters and days away ::bigsmile:
Ann (birthday today :thumb:) is not in the best of health needs the odd bit of freedom the van offers ie loo etc, so now the odd 180 miles round trip to Whitby for pie and peas :Smile: is ok -same as 240 miles to whitly bay to see friends for the odd night.:thumb:If she is up to it she sits in the front or she can lay in the back :Smile:No doubt in the yank you would not do that type of trip :winky: but for us it gets us out and the van gets used more :thumb:Other road uses don't faze me and we generally have a smile on our faces as we leave the drive -I still enjoy driving (very much so)as yet so we will carry on,after all Ann can be as bad in the van just the same as being at home :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Depends on general health and our ability to afford the running costs. Being limited (for some reason) to the UK only might finish it off for me as well - I prefer Europe.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

What about you.. ?

Only if
"The UKULELE BAND"

Turn up ,but in the morning it wont seem too bad :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

What about you.. ?

When I don't enjoy it anymore.

Health and finance is largely out of my control.

It is without doubt less exciting after 6 years.

sue & dave

Free Member
Jul 23, 2011
somewhere out there !!!
Funster No
MH
A class rv
Exp
since March 2008
Our Time to give up

As long as we can afford it, and we still have each other:smalllove: we will probably give up when we (I) can't make it up the steps anymore,:cry: David says he will carry me, but I'm hoping he will be too old by then. :winky:

Sue & Dave :Cool:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
When you first start motorhoming every place is new.::bigsmile:

After several years of motorhoming, you know which sites you like and tend to stay in the same ones over and over.:thumb:

Then you become bored with same old, same old.:RollEyes:

Then you try some new sites and different places again.::bigsmile:

It becomes exciting again.::bigsmile:

The alternative is even more boring.:Doh:

British winters are so depressing, and when it is cold and miserable outside, you are so happy that you still have the motorhome and look forward to getting away abroad for some winter sun.::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
when I can no longer justify the humungus amount of wedge coming out of my income each week in the name of enjoyment.

So, when I am not enjoying it, its time to knock it on the head,

unless

health & wealth see to it before that time.

Im bored of shows, Im bored of France,

I now Love Germany and Czech republic,,

I now love using my Van to go to all the running events and meeting just a couple of friends for the weekend.

At this moment, every time I get ready to go away, I get soooooo excited. :thumb:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
moving up to Sweden ,after retiring, gave M and me a whole new lease of life, new travels and places to see, and we don't have to worry about the rat race traffic, the only thing to worry about these days is Elk and deer crossing the roads ,we mainly keep to the Scandinavian country's and the old eastern block country's, we both love to travel in Belgium and Benelux and France and not forgetting the 2nd love of our travels Italy, But we don't travel that way as much as we did. We don't do Spain any more but miss Portugal, and on the occasion's we are back in Blighty the kids do the driving, i don't miss it one eye otta, my advice to you would be move and have a much simpler life and again down size as adviced in recent post's, we did and love it we now travel in a Hitler's Revenge, that's a mercedes/hobby, one of the first's i would imagine, she's 30yrs young this January and up here she's Tax Free, More Kroner's to put in the diesel tank, instead of the Kings pocket:ROFLMAO:yea, So keep on Mhing as long as you can ,change the things you can and except the things you can't, so its Happy New Year from us to you , and if your ever up here on ya travels there's always a space here just to enjoy in ya MH.Regards Alf

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hmmmm - I think with age and health we might be coming to the end with the van, plus we've needed a few repairs recently. It's not the expense, although that's not much fun, but the insecurity wondering if it will be ok this time. However, I'm sure it will since we have new batteries and a new charger and alternator. Another thing I find is that there are many other things I'd like to do but don't because we can't commit, never knowing when we'll be away or not. I think we'll just see how things go this year. We are booked to go to Brittany at the end of May and I really would like to do an island hopper on the Hebrides this year so who knows. Although we are a bit 'showed' out, I'd like to go to some this year just to see our Funny friends, new and old.

Today, I've been putting some things in the van for our trip to Uttoxeter and I'm really getting quite excited. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Majority of us are stuck here on blighty so we have to make the best of it.
Put up with the nurd drivers here on our trips in the uk--
i find driving a slower MH that they can scoot all around me and do what they like,i can`t drive fast/race/cut up ,i`m too slow ,so let them get on with it.
I just turn up a nice sound system i installed and cruise along in my own little word :whatthe:
The longer trips over to France is something to look forward to with roads and traffic as was here in the 60`s.
Idiot drivers won`t make me give up---remember the rabbit and the snail :thumb:

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
My daily work has me tramping around on the overcrowded lunatic asylums that they call roads here . Sometimes ( thankfully not a lot ) on the M25 , M4O and bits around them . Most of the time on roads in overcrowded rat race towns . Driving at its most basic "chore" level . If motorhome use and driving reached that kind of not enjoying I would flog the MH no question .

However , like Joner said above , our particular real enjoyment is getting on to the roads in France , Germany etc , mostly off motorway and toll roads . Its like stepping back in time to another era of quiet contentment ,with a feeling of being made welcome helping . Also the bonus of fuel being a fair bit cheaper . A few more years of tootling around on the continent , spreading the net a bit wider in to the eastern Europe countries as we go , then we will reconsider the options . Who knows , might end up with a canal boat , or a static caravan , or a cabin , or a cottage somewhere over there . We never really fully close doors on options .

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:ROFLMAO: Hi we do not have a lot of dosh anyway but hope to keep earning a little to pay for traveling so let me know if you want some pegs / lucky heather :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: we will keep traveling while ever we are healthy :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: sod the money you are only here once enjoy :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
It`s not the size of rig, as some have suggested... That doesn`t bother me in the least...

At the moment the cost does not come into the equation.... as soon as it does or did I would get shot of...

I love it when i get to meets or to where I`m going.... It`s the getting there...

I dont find I enjoy driving as much as I used to...

A few years ago when I was driving at Her Majesty`s Pleasure, I used to look forward`s to going to work, driving was a pleasure, and suppose I have enjoyed millions of miles with all sorts of vehicles from Queen Mary`s - Bowsers - Flatbed artic`s - Rigids - Ambulances, you name it...

But now I just want to get from my place to the site or whatever as soon as possible...

Cos it`s the other silly buggers on the road that spoil it today... and the roads were never built to take the volume of traffic that use the roads today...

My thoughts anyway....
::bigsmile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I think if it was getting a struggle to afford it, then we would have to seriously think of giving up.

If health was a issue limiting our traveling to a large extent then we would think of giving up.

One of the huge advantages we find of the Motorhome is after been away from home for a month or so, then the bungalow suddenly seems really fresh and interesting again not the same old same old.

Of the advantages of been retired we tend to plan what time we travel often avoiding the worst of the traffic, and when traveling on motorways, nearly always travel at 60 on the inside lane and let every one else rush around at the side of us, though it is nice to know the turbo is there to get us out of trouble should we want it and I am so nosy that I love looking around and over hedges in gardens when we are traveling.

After Eds recent scare I think it would be nice to think we still have a few more years of motorhomeing left in us.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
It`s not the size of rig, as some have suggested... That doesn`t bother me in the least...

At the moment the cost does not come into the equation.... as soon as it does or did I would get shot of...

I love it when i get to meets or to where I`m going.... It`s the getting there...

I dont find I enjoy driving as much as I used to...

A few years ago when I was driving at Her Majesty`s Pleasure, I used to look forward`s to going to work, driving was a pleasure, and suppose I have enjoyed millions of miles with all sorts of vehicles from Queen Mary`s - Bowsers - Flatbed artic`s - Rigids - Ambulances, you name it...

But now I just want to get from my place to the site or whatever as soon as possible...

[HI]Cos it`s the other silly buggers on the road that spoil it today... and the roads were never built to take the volume of traffic that use the roads today[/HI]...

My thoughts anyway....::bigsmile:
Don`t let them get you down on your trips,if they want to race ,let them.
Just put blinkers up and let them get on with it.
It will never go back to "the good old days" on the roads so do what YOU want to do.
Evryone rushes around in modern micro race cars today because they have not got a moment to live BUT--
When you take to your MH or RV ,you have all the time in the world,ignore them:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I'm calling it a day after this next JD and coke, way to early I know but I think. Got carried away after 4 solid days if work :roflmto:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I lived for 30 years in the South East, Kent, and understand why the traffic down in that part of the country causes people hassle. That is why we moved to SW Scotland and I still love driving the van up here. ::bigsmile:

I will give up when I am no longer able to enjoy it, but that day seems a long way off yet. We do have problems but with a positive attitude and reasonable health some problems can be overcome. :thumb:

Downsizing certainly gave us a whole lot of new options which we haven't fully explored yet, and there are still many roads to explore. :Eeek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
My current van is automatic, power steering, traction control, excellent mirrors and rear veiw camera a doddle to drive so as long as I can afford to drive a few miles I'll keep going, always off site and way from crowds, we use it as a static every day in any case even though we don't live there. so whilst it is often described as the "Eternal Flame" (it never goes out, hee hee) it is well used and we do cover around 5000 miles a year, not a lot by some standards and not enough for me but there you go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back