Calmac Ferries...............Scotland (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just been looking at ferry prices for the Outer Hebrides next year and I notice that most of the longer routes carry no premium for motorhomes up to 6 metres ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Over 6 metres costs another 50% :Eeek:

Thought I'd share this with all of those with a 'shorter' 'van :winky:

I love the Hebrides, we have been there for the last 3 years hols but it does get tedious in a tent :Eeek: Not next year in the new 'van tho:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I love the Hebrides, we have been there for the last 3 years hols but it does get tedious in a tent :Eeek: Not next year in the new 'van tho:thumb::thumb:

Oh for goodness sake, treat yourself to a proper holiday, put ITALY into the search box.

Why rust when you can eat Perfect Pasta.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Oh for goodness sake, treat yourself to a proper holiday, put ITALY into the search box.

I love Italy, but there is something truly magical about the Hebrides. Cold and windy maybe (alright then, almost certainly :Eeek:) but the beaches on the West side of the Outer Hebrides knock everything else into a cocked hat!

Clear blue water, clear blue sky, empty beaches and NO tourists (lol) just people who appreciate being there.

Italy Schmitaly :moon2:

:Smile::Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and NO tourists (lol)

That's because they are all in Italy enjoying pasta and glorious ice cream.

Apart from those who froze to death to be discovered in 200 years by Time Team 2213. "And here are the remains of hebridenus touristicus. Look. LOOK I think that's part of a Nikon D60, preserved by the ice for 200 years. Yes, it's a 14-55 lens, that dates it between 2010 and 2013. What's this ? Yes IT IS. An iPhone, yes definitely an iPhone, I can see where the poor soul was clawing at the screen to get help. He never stood a chance."

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Don't panic Mr. Mannering !!

I use the Uig to Tarbert ferry twice a year with a 7 metre MH ! The fares are approximately the same as last year and the year before that !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

And keep off Tolsta Beach......It's mine !!!!!!

Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
A lifetime of practise !!!

That's because they are all in Italy enjoying pasta and glorious ice cream.

Apart from those who froze to death to be discovered in 200 years by Time Team 2213. "And here are the remains of hebridenus touristicus. Look. LOOK I think that's part of a Nikon D60, preserved by the ice for 200 years. Yes, it's a 14-55 lens, that dates it between 2010 and 2013. What's this ? Yes IT IS. An iPhone, yes definitely an iPhone, I can see where the poor soul was clawing at the screen to get help. He never stood a chance."

Brian !!!! You are just so, so good at spouting a load of bollox !!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
I love Italy, but there is something truly magical about the Hebrides. Cold and windy maybe (alright then, almost certainly :Eeek:) but the beaches on the West side of the Outer Hebrides knock everything else into a cocked hat!

Clear blue water, clear blue sky, empty beaches and NO tourists (lol) just people who appreciate being there.

Italy Schmitaly :moon2:

We're taking our first trip to the Outer Hebrides next year, for all the reasons you mention. And no, it's not for everybody, so let's hope the rest take Brian's advice and bugger off to Europe!! :winky:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Your not kidding I've read some of your threads !
You must use a wheelbarrow to move them about in.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
On a serious note when you can use a different route on and off the island it can where possible save you a fortune ,just turn up and ask,sometimes pre booking can cost more . But the highlands of Scotland for beauty and cost effectiveness,getting there beats a trip to Italy every time for me!
Been on Calmac ferries many a time and never been measured yet !

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just been looking at ferry prices for the Outer Hebrides next year and I notice that most of the longer routes carry no premium for motorhomes up to 6 metres ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Over 6 metres costs another 50% :Eeek:

Thought I'd share this with all of those with a 'shorter' 'van :winky:

Hey this is an interesting post! We island-hopped around the Outer Hebrides earlier this year in April. Had a great time, but the motorhome price bands were different and it cost us significantly more than it will next year.

From memory it was campervans and small motorhomes up to 5 metres; then 5m - 8m; and finally over 8m. Our van is 5.99m, so we were in the middle price band, but in 2013 will be in the cheapest and same price as a car - hurray! :thumb:

Oh, and we didn't pre-book any ferries, just turned up and bought singles as we went along - 100% flexibility. And by a strange quirk, it worked out slightly less for us than buying an 'Island Hopscotch' promotional ticket. Although it was Easter, always got on the next ferry without any difficulty. :thumb:

Mike

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
We're taking our first trip to the Outer Hebrides next year, for all the reasons you mention. And no, it's not for everybody, so let's hope the rest take Brian's advice and bugger off to Europe!! :winky:
So are we! :Smile:
Not fully planned yet but hope to go in May on the Hopscotch 9 so if anyone would care to share some good spots to park up for the night I'd be most very grateful :winky:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not fully planned yet but hope to go in May on the Hopscotch 9 so if anyone would care to share some good spots to park up for the night I'd be most very grateful :winky:

Jazz if you do a search on here you will find a wee blog my wife and daughter did of our trip 4 years ago some of it might be out of date now but I'm sure it will be of help. If you can't find let me know and I will put new post on.

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Jazz if you do a search on here you will find a wee blog my wife and daughter did of our trip 4 years ago some of it might be out of date now but I'm sure it will be of help. If you can't find let me know and I will put new post on.
Thanks Gerry, I can't find it!:Doh:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011

Why rust when you can eat Perfect Pasta.

34.8c on Mull in May this/last year and they speak English and the food it great and they drive on the right side of the road (well the left which is right).......:thumb::thumb:

Well OK that temperature was an exception, the English is a bit odd sometimes and the roads are so narrow it doesn't matter which side you drive on but the food was great, we did eat in a lot though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Jazzbow, do the Hopscotch 8 instead, it would be a shame to miss Eriskay and Barra !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
34.8c on Mull in May this/last year

I keep saying this, if the weather is good the UK and the highlands in particular is an awesome place to tour. Give or take a midge or two.

But for all that it's too "normal" and once across the channel it's "different", different things to see, different ways of doing things and proper job highlands.

Just one example is the Rhine Falls. We've nothing to match that sight and there's a good aire right next to them.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Jazz try this link should take you to the thread about

Broken Link Removed

Any problems let me know and I will send you it if you want to see any pics let me know. I would highly recommend the trip and don't make any plans just go with the flow as there is loads to see and if you mix with the locals IE visit the pubs and shops you will be made so welcome. Also visit the wool and fish places very interesting.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Suggest you try pricing individual ferry crossings against the cost of the Hopscotch 9, to check if it's much more expensive. If not, you can buy single tickets as you go, and alter your route at any time.

We crossed from Skye to Lewis/Harris, and then travelled south to Barra and then back to Oban.

Here are some wilding spots we stopped overnight:

Harris

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=57.87...hBYJ0v7Jbeg4X_Gxq7-GVA&cbp=12,139.33,,0,12.34

North Uist

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=57.65...=y1uv3PZH9GtQxi226GCcaQ&cbp=12,61.11,,0,11.07

South Uist

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=57.28...=-m4X5y6w5zuGBcOB1tnWuA&cbp=12,328.64,,0,9.59

Barra (Ferry terminal)

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=57.00...C3ZQTWbCrMPZ5xwWRg2bZg&cbp=12,320.48,,0,17.99

Mike :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back