Thinking of changing the motorhome (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have been thinking for a wee while now about upgrading the mh.

We have two or three in mind and wouldn't mind your opinions on them.
We are looking for a fixed double two single or bunks across the back with garage under, would like the lounge to be l shaped so we have two seatbelts in the back as Sophie tends to bring a friend on holiday. It doesn't need to be fully winterised as its not to cold here in Scotland:ROFLMAO: but we do use it all year round so good insulation would be a help. Also like to have a drop down bed at the front to save us making up beds as getting lazy :ROFLMAO:.

The ones we have in mind are

Adria matrix 680 with the drop down bed over the lounge, finding it hard to get a secondhand one though.

Rollerteam t line 700 family same lay out as above not sure if they are same quality so feel free to advise.

Hymer i562 roughly the same layout as above two.

We have always like Hymers and realise we might have to go for an older one to get what we want, seen the adria at the Lincoln show last year and was really impressed with it and although I haven't seen in the roller team it does look pretty good. We currently a have a 2006 autoquest 130 so depending on how much we get for that might sell private if no good trade in price but we are hoping to spend under 40k would stretch it a pound or two if the right van was there.

Cheers Gerry

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Have a look at a Burstner Aviano i684 like ours. Just the layout you are looking for.

Quite a few about.

I dont like the layout myself as I dont like the lounge.

Ours will be on sale at Johns Cross about March time when we swap over. it might be a bit over your budget but not by a great deal and its in great condition.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
personally gerry i wouldn't go for a large garage model as they tend to be stuck way out the back miles away from the axle so you are really limited what you can put in them without overloading the rear axle.

i know this from the van i own 150kg in the garage takes the axle over its plated weight.

if there are 4 of you going to be travelling for a week or more at a time make sure the van you want has at least 600kg spare payload to allow for the food/clothing and the people for you to be really comfortable. but don't rely on the paperwork get the van weighed and work it out from the weighbridge print out.

good luck on your hunt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I believe the payload on ours Gerry is about 750kg but being me I have never visited a weighbridge.:Doh:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Have a look at a Burstner Aviano i684 like ours. Just the layout you are looking for.

Quite a few about.

I dont like the layout myself as I dont like the lounge.

Ours will be on sale at Johns Cross about March time when we swap over. it might be a bit over your budget but not by a great deal and its in great condition.

I'm sure with my funsters discount it would be in budget :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Did have a look at them well on the Internet look really nice but trying to find one under 40k is hard as I don't think they have been on the go to long, just out of interest what don't you like about the layout and what layout you going for.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
The Adria is a nice van Gerry.

We picked a brouchure up and nearly got tempted on a brand newen at the NEC... but decided we like ours way too much.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
personally gerry i wouldn't go for a large garage model as they tend to be stuck way out the back miles away from the axle so you are really limited what you can put in them without overloading the rear axle.

i know this from the van i own 150kg in the garage takes the axle over its plated weight.

if there are 4 of you going to be travelling for a week or more at a time make sure the van you want has at least 600kg spare payload to allow for the food/clothing and the people for you to be really comfortable. but don't rely on the paperwork get the van weighed and work it out from the weighbridge print out.

good luck on your hunt.

Thanks aba
I'm not needing the garage for massive weight just for things like willies and waterproofs as we tend to be out in the rain a lot which is a bit surprising considering we live in sunny Scotland. I can't think of the top of my head what the payload is for the elddis we have just not but I normally get Lorraine and Sophie to empty their handbags before we go and that gives us a few spare kilos:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. We just don't have loads of storage room and if we want something out we have to remove about ten items lol so it's more to make life easier rather than carry loads.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The Adria is a nice van Gerry.

We picked a brouchure up and nearly got tempted on a brand newen at the NEC... but decided we like ours way too much.

Yes it seems well made and if we stretch our budget by a little we could possibly get a new one as I think a new model is out next year and some good deals on them but I will try and find one within my budget first.

It's trying to weigh thinks up do we go for a new or nearly new Adria or a 5 or 6 year old hymer. Being a true Scotsman I will probably be sitting here next year asking the same question as we don't part with money easy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We find the layout of our van very convenient. It's a dinette rather than L shaped lounge but with the bench and swivel seats, easily seats six. It has two belted seats. See Here.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I'm sure with my funsters discount it would be in budget :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Did have a look at them well on the Internet look really nice but trying to find one under 40k is hard as I don't think they have been on the go to long, just out of interest what don't you like about the layout and what layout you going for.

I would say you would get a 2007/2008 one for £40k Gerry. Bear in mind that we bought ours in 2008 brand new with extras for £47K. They might be £70k+ now but thats mainly because of the weaker Euro I believe

The only thing I dont like is the front lounge. You have the 2 forward facing belted dinette seats, the cab seats which turn round and then a further small settee thing behind the drivers seat.

The TV mount is near the hab door so behind the drivers seat meaning the 2 dinette seats cannot be used to watch tv. The dinette seats are also a bit cramped I think (possibly cos I am a fat git).

It just doesnt make for a great lounging van. Fine in the summer when you want to be outside anyway.

Its a terrific van though. The habitation door on ours is seriously good quality. I think that came as a winterization pack.

We are going for an Autotrail Scout with a rear u shaped lounge.

The wife and kids love the present van but just occaisionally the man of the house has to put his foot down::bigsmile:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Graham that's roughly the layout we are looking for.

Chris I get your point about the lounging part the way we are looking at it is with in the next year Sophie will probably only want to come with us when we are going somewhere hot so in the winter it will probably be two of us more often than not. The van we have just now is a dinette and a side bench with over cab bed which is mainly used for storage it's not ideal for everyone viewing the tv so we put a swivel on the passengers seat and now we can all see the tv.

48k new a couple of years ago some dealers are asking that for them now.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Its perfect for two people Gerry:thumb:

We got a bit of a bargain I think 4 years ago ::bigsmile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks aba
I'm not needing the garage for massive weight just for things like [HI]willies[/HI] and waterproofs as we tend to be out in the rain a lot which is a bit surprising considering we live in sunny Scotland. I can't think of the top of my head what the payload is for the elddis we have just not but I normally get Lorraine and Sophie to empty their handbags before we go and that gives us a few spare kilos:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. We just don't have loads of storage room and if we want something out we have to remove about ten items lol so it's more to make life easier rather than carry loads.

Really?:winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]Graham that's roughly the layout we are looking for.[/HI]

Chris I get your point about the lounging part the way we are looking at it is with in the next year Sophie will probably only want to come with us when we are going somewhere hot so in the winter it will probably be two of us more often than not. The van we have just now is a dinette and a side bench with over cab bed which is mainly used for storage it's not ideal for everyone viewing the tv so we put a swivel on the passengers seat and now we can all see the tv.

48k new a couple of years ago some dealers are asking that for them now.

There are several in the Burstner range with that layout. We find it perfect for two but, being used to your Autoquest, I don't think it would give you any problems using it for four.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Gerry we have an Adria 670 the build quality is excellent. our previous van was a new in 2008 CI; same stables as the Roller team and by comparison the CI is a budget build van! i had some trouble with mine on delaminating interior roof panel and a hab door that was warped. not exactly speedy with their spares and warranty support. hence its gone....

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Gerry we have an Adria 670 the build quality is excellent. our previous van was a new in 2008 CI; same stables as the Roller team and by comparison the CI is a budget build van! i had some trouble with mine on delaminating interior roof panel and a hab door that was warped. not exactly speedy with their spares and warranty support. hence its gone....

Hi phill
I had heard that about the parts from a dealer who used to sell them until earlier this year, they did say however they where far superior in build to the older models of a couple of years ago. I know dealers can tell you anything but he had no need as didn't sell them anymore.
We do like the Adria the one we where in seemed to be good build quality.
This buying motorhomesadria isn't an easy lark :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks John

That's the delemia do I go for a secondhand one like that or go for a rollerteam with exact same layout for a few grand less.

Have also seen a 2010 adria with low mileage but its near London so bit far to travel for a wee look.

Just looking for something that will fit the golf clubs in :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Thanks John

That's the delemia do I go for a secondhand one like that or go for a rollerteam with exact same layout for a few grand less.

Have also seen a 2010 adria with low mileage but its near London so bit far to travel for a wee look.

[HI]
Just looking for something that will fit the golf clubs in :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

how big is your dust bin ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi phill
I had heard that about the parts from a dealer who used to sell them until earlier this year, they did say however they where far superior in build to the older models of a couple of years ago. I know dealers can tell you anything but he had no need as didn't sell them anymore.
We do like the Adria the one we where in seemed to be good build quality.
This buying motorhomesadria isn't an easy lark :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi again Gerry, i am told the build quality is better now than 4 years ago when we had ours new. Think also when you want to use the van as the Rollerteam will not have much of a level of winterisation.
That said layout is everything,

Its not any easy choice..

Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years
Think the winterisation is pretty good in the rollerteam, now made with styrofoam in all the walls,no wood in walls, all plastic batons so nothing to rot if you get a leak. Water tank on board ect. The build quality is very good. 10 year warranty.

But I would say that, I got one:ROFLMAO:

But seriously I have been very impressed with Our's.::bigsmile:

Have a look at the 746 lots of room and big big beds!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes it is a hard choice, I have been given two prices to change one for a brand new rollerteam and one for a 2010 Adria both on same layout the first offer for the Adria was actually £1000 more to change than the new roller team.

After some haggling I can get the 2010 adria for 5k less than the new RT so do I go for a new one or one with a few thousand miles on it.

Phill the one I'm looking at is the matrix sp model which comes fully winterised as far as I'm aware, do you use yours throughout the year and is it fully winterised .

Cheers Gerry

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks Mike

Yes they do seem to have improved in the last couple of years, had a look at the 746 just now looks a lovely van but we are being swayed towards the fixed bed layout due to getting old :ROFLMAO: turned 45 last month :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This parting with money isn't easy is it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Yes it is a hard choice, I have been given two prices to change one for a brand new rollerteam and one for a 2010 Adria both on same layout the first offer for the Adria was actually £1000 more to change than the new roller team.

After some haggling I can get the 2010 adria for 5k less than the new RT so do I go for a new one or one with a few thousand miles on it.

Phill the one I'm looking at is the matrix sp model which comes fully winterised as far as I'm aware, do you use yours throughout the year and is it fully winterised .

Cheers Gerry

Hi Gerry, we have an adria coral and it is fully winterised and we use it most of the year restricted by our choice to be at home not the ability of the van.
The matrix is a slightly more expensive van than the coral new in standard form. It will probably have the higher spec combi boiler and has heated water tank and ducted hot air into the storage compartments including the garage if its like ours.
The CI we has was incidently the 746 model, would not buy another without a lot of sole searching.
But i am biased i had problems and crap warrenty support not from the dealer but from both CI and Autotrail who are the UK franchise managers ( waste of space ).:Angry:
Adria by comparison have been on the ball the few times i have asked the questions and i bust a locker lock ( my fault i forced it the wrong way thinking it was stiff ) replacement came overnight no cost, took me 15 mins to fit.
Main thing is you are comfortable with your choice and layout as its your hard earned cash.
Good luck with your choice.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi,Gerry have you looked at the adria range at campbells motorhomes,they are now located at the old brownhills hymer site blackpool rd,we got offerd a great deal against adria last year.although we ended up buying our hobby.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back