LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Tesco have the original 7 inch tab on offer for £99. It has an early version of Android does anyone know if it will update to version 4

Lunarman

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Please tell me this isn't the samsung galaxy tab2 7 inch

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Please tell me this isn't the samsung galaxy tab2 7 inch
I would be very surprised if it was:Smile: How are you getting on with your cash back by the way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I would be very surprised if it was:Smile: How are you getting on with your cash back by the way.

All filed out and done on line, awaiting payment, will keep you posted.....only bummer is I had to open the thing up to get the serial number but its wrapped for Christmas so now re wrapped :Doh:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
All filed out and done on line, awaiting payment, will keep you posted.....only bummer is I had to open the thing up to get the serial number but its wrapped for Christmas so now re wrapped :Doh:
I had the same problem, I had to unwrap mine for same. it is now under the tree again:Smile: I checked the process on line today but it doesn't give much away, just says being process. I guess it's a case of waiting for it to arrive in your bank account.:thumb:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Doesn't directly answer your question but my son "flashed" my Samsung Galaxy S Mobile phone (first generation) so it is now running Jelly Bean - and seems to run just fine.

Guess if it can be done with a mobile phone it can be done with a tablet.

Steve

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Long wait for cashback

I had the same problem, I had to unwrap mine for same. it is now under the tree again:Smile: I checked the process on line today but it doesn't give much away, just says being process. I guess it's a case of waiting for it to arrive in your bank account.:thumb:

It looks like they keep the cash as long as possible ..... the email confirmation for my application states;

"All that is left to do to is wait for your claim to be validated. The checking and validation process may take up to 14 days after claim submission so please expect to hear from us within this time frame regarding your claim. Successful claims will be settled electronically using the bank details provided during your application. Please allow a maximum of 45 days from validation for settlement."

So it looks like you have to wait up to 2 months for the cashback .... and I needed that to buy some food for Christmas, so please think of us going hungry as you tuck into your turkey:winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It looks like they keep the cash as long as possible ..... the email confirmation for my application states;

"All that is left to do to is wait for your claim to be validated. The checking and validation process may take up to 14 days after claim submission so please expect to hear from us within this time frame regarding your claim. Successful claims will be settled electronically using the bank details provided during your application. Please allow a maximum of 45 days from validation for settlement."

So it looks like you have to wait up to 2 months for the cashback .... and I needed that to buy some food for Christmas, so please think of us going hungry as you tuck into your turkey:winky:
Thanks ICR it will be interesting to see how it pans out. :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I got my cash back exactly 45 days after confirmation, paid directly to my account without any notification.
Long wait but £50 is £50 back and still really happy with tab 2 10.1:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Although it is possible to update older tablets it may not be a good idea. If I recall correctly ginger bread required 512Mb of system memory whereas Jelly Bean needs 768Mb. Even if it installs you may find it slow or a battery hog as it will need to swap out a lot to work.

Check with the Broken Link Removed forum for details as they are the best for custom android roms.

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have done some research and purchased one of the Tesco tablets.

The tablet on offer is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus at £99 running Android 3.2. Reading a number of reviews I came across one comparing this tablet to the newer Tab 2 7.0 (now on offer for £158 in a number of places) the conclusion was that the hardware is identical the difference being in the version of Android the tab 2 running 4.0.4 ICS.

I also established that there was an official firmware upgrade to 4.0.4 ICS available from Samsung for the Tab Plus via their PC management software KIES.

I thought if I get one and upgrade it I effectively have a Tab 2 7.0 for £99 and a little bit of work. That is what I did.

Bought the Tab loaded Kies (available from Samsung support) to my laptop connected the 2 together and it did it all automatically in about 20 minutes.

I am well pleased with the result.:thumb:

They also have the larger 8.9" tablet on offer for £174 which can be similarly upgraded.

Lunarman

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back