First Skiing trip in the Hymer in January (1 Viewer)

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Hi to all you Motorhome Professionals. I am shortly going on my first winter trip in my Hymer B544. Have now read so many blogs about staying away in the winter that I am seeking some guidance from others with perhaps. the same model, and problems encountered , when temps drop to -25c ish. I will be staying at a site with hook up ( 10 amps) I have purchased 2 low wattage oil rads , total 1300 watt which I understand is about 5.5 amp my idea was to leave both on whilst on the Piste and leave open the 2 openings to the Fresh and Waste tanks so the the warm air circulates around them. I will take a 11 & 6 kg propane bottles to supplement the heating. It's what to do overnight...yes I can leave the oil heaters on but not sure about leaving the Trauma heater on, am I going to notice the fan + I am away for 16 nights and not sure how long the Gas will last...I look forward to hearing from those with their thoughts. I recently purchased the Blinds from Silver Screens and he told me that with many A class models , especially the Hymer you get a lot of draughts coming through from the bulkhead and suggested covering the dash and foot wells with carpeting. I would appreciate any suggestions, thank you ...:Smile: Tony

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Tony

It might be worth considering that hot air rises. This is only opinion, not scientific fact, but I think you will need to have your blown air heating going 24/7 to circulate the air and avoid cold spots. Especially at floor level.
We had frost in some corners in our van last year, but only in areas where the air did not circulate well.
I think the answer is to take more gas personally.

I am sure experienced Hymer owners will be along to give you a more informed answer soon....:thumb:

-Jon

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You'll have a great time I'm sure.

We leave our Truama on 24 x 7 at about 15C no problems at all sleeping with it on and it does'nt have to work half as hard to warm the van back up in the morning. Not sure you'll manage with that small amount of gas for 16 days might want to consider carrying a couple of spare bottles or you may have to drive back down to refill. Make sure you fill up with diesel at the bottom as it has plenty of additives to stop it waxing.

Good luck :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
first skiing trip

Hi, i have a 2006 homer b654 a class and camp all year round.
I leave the gray waste open with bucket underneath.i fill up the freshwater, put cover and the carpet back and it's fine. I always leave the heating and hot water on constant, about 18 degree at night and about 22 in the day. I did have it up to top26 one evening :)

I leave the external silver screens on and the ceiling blinds closed, as they let the cold in a bit, an only keep the minimum of window blinds open. If leaving the van i close all the blinds to keep the heat in.
Also have the large fridge freezer.
With everything on, from thurs afternoon to Sunday morning i used 11 litres gas, approx half an 11 kilo tank, I have 2 x 80 a batteries and they Went down to about 12.4.
The van on just electric heating will not be sufficient in that temperature, and you will have to top up with gas. I think you will use more gas than you realise.
S:Cool:

OP
OP
R

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
You'll have a great time I'm sure.

We leave our Truama on 24 x 7 at about 15C no problems at all sleeping with it on and it does'nt have to work half as hard to warm the van back up in the morning. Not sure you'll manage with that small amount of gas for 16 days might want to consider carrying a couple of spare bottles or you may have to drive back down to refill. Make sure you fill up with diesel at the bottom as it has plenty of additives to stop it waxing.

Good luck :thumb:

Thanks Forestboy. I think you're right about needing more gas but I thought you can only carry bottles in the locker provided, someone else has mentioned taking extra bottles but they must remain upright, not sure of the law are you?
:Blush: Tony

OP
OP
R

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Hi, i have a 2006 homer b654 a class and camp all year round.
I leave the gray waste open with bucket underneath.i fill up the freshwater, put cover and the carpet back and it's fine. I always leave the heating and hot water on constant, about 18 degree at night and about 22 in the day. I did have it up to top26 one evening :)

I leave the external silver screens on and the ceiling blinds closed, as they let the cold in a bit, an only keep the minimum of window blinds open. If leaving the van i close all the blinds to keep the heat in.
Also have the large fridge freezer.
With everything on, from thurs afternoon to Sunday morning i used 11 litres gas, approx half an 11 kilo tank, I have 2 x 80 a batteries and they Went down to about 12.4.
The van on just electric heating will not be sufficient in that temperature, and you will have to top up with gas. I think you will use more gas than you realise.
S:Cool:

Hi Sue, am I thinking you were not hooked up to the electric?

Many thanks

Tony:Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks Forestboy. I think you're right about needing more gas but I thought you can only carry bottles in the locker provided, someone else has mentioned taking extra bottles but they must remain upright, not sure of the law are you?
:Blush: Tony

The upright bottles thing is only applicable to acetylene bottles where the gas is dissolved in charcoal. You obviously wouldn't want charcoal in your regulator before a welding job!

Propane is OK any way up!::bigsmile:

Unless of course you are drawing gas at the time! A propane bottle on its side will dispense liquid in the same way as a bottle of water!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
The upright bottles thing is only applicable to acetylene bottles where the gas is dissolved in charcoal. You obviously wouldn't want charcoal in your regulator before a welding job!

Propane is OK any way up!::bigsmile:

Unless of course you are drawing gas at the time! A propane bottle on its side will dispense liquid in the same way as a bottle of water!

Thanks for that. Tony.:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
If I read it right you are on electric hook up?
I wouldn't in that case worry too much. I would take a couple of fan heaters and leave them running on shifts opposite the gas.

In our early days of skiing in the van when we used sites, we never took extra gas for up to 2 weeks away. We simply used fan heaters 10amp hook up is plenty and we were in a budget van with two kids

If you have not seen it you may want check this out www.motorhomeski.com
Some old practical advice on there including leavin a sky light open from time to time to help air flow and avoid condensation...

This will be our 10th ski trip this year having taken in damp Scotland to the crisp sun of the alps and snow heaven of the Haute Savoire We have had various problems during that time including spending the night on the A9 but never have we hit a problem we could not rectify....
So try and relax and enjoy. :thumb:

You don't say where your going ?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
first skiing trip

All my camping is not on electric. Bought hymer April 2011, and have no hesitation in camping in any weather. It's well insulated which helps keep the van cooler in hot weather as well:Cool:

May be worth taking a little genny with you for top up if not on electric.
Good luck with the trip ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
R

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
All my camping is not on electric. Bought hymer April 2011, and have no hesitation in camping in any weather. It's well insulated which helps keep the van cooler in hot weather as well:Cool:

May be worth taking a little genny with you for top up if not on electric.
Good luck with the trip ::bigsmile:

Thanks Sue, I wouldn't be fussy what her name was , Little Genny sounds nice but Kate , Mary or Liz's they would all be welcome what ever their size::Smile:

Tony

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Thanks Sue, I wouldn't be fussy what her name was , Little Genny sounds nice but Kate , Mary or Liz's they would all be welcome what ever their size::Smile:

Tony

did you miss my post?

Where you going, come on Im excited..!!!!!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If I read it right you are on electric hook up?
I wouldn't in that case worry too much. I would take a couple of fan heaters and leave them running on shifts opposite the gas.

Just as Paul has sad fan heaters camp all year round been in sum bad conditions and steyed warm with them used oil filed heaters and find the heat gows straght to the roof and your feet are cold

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back