Jeffwilliams

Free Member
Dec 8, 2012
Merthyr Tydfil S Wales.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Im picking up a 1998 Elddis Autostratus this friday, not knowing alot about motorhomes is the anything to look out for in the way of problems, i paid £200 deposit and paying the remainder on collection, its a private buy and the hpi check came back ok, perhaps its just me knowing ive got to part with money:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Check everywhere for damp. Get a meter, they aren't expensive. If there's any damp walk away, it will be cheaper to lose your deposit than the cost of repairs:Eeek:.

Other than that just make sure everything works, get the seller to put the fridge on a few hours before you are due so you can check it gets cold.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Im picking up a 1998 Elddis Autostratus this friday, not knowing alot about motorhomes is the anything to look out for in the way of problems, i paid £200 deposit and paying the remainder on collection, its a private buy and the hpi check came back ok, perhaps its just me knowing ive got to part with money:Smile:
check the cross member behind the radiator for rust,and check in every cupboard at roof level for damp,do this with a damp meter or by pushing the wall board with you fingers if you find a soft spot its damp also check roof lining for sign's of damp around roof lights,ask seller when the cambelt was last done and also check floor for sqeaks if it sqeeks chance's are the floor has delaminated?:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yep, damp will be the main issue in an older van..
If you have a local mobile caravan technician it may be money well spent to have him do a check on it before you complete.. Subject to the seller agreeing, if he didn't then I would be real wary....

This may help
Link Removed

AH!!! Posted as you did, you can do your own damp check then... Another spot is around the roof vent of the flue, the rubber perishes over time and water can leak in around the pipe..

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Yep, damp will be the main issue in an older van..
If you have a local mobile caravan technician it may be money well spent to have him do a check on it before you complete.. Subject to the seller agreeing, if he didn't then I would be real wary....

This may help
Link Removed

Heavy vans those EB's so watch the weights.. Big vans but have very little payload :Sad:
i have an eb its got a 800kg payload 2.600kg empty 3.400kg loaded:thumb:
good solid vans built to last:thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
i have an eb its got a 800kg payload 2.600kg empty 3.400kg loaded:thumb:
good solid vans built to last:thumb:

I know you have !!!!

We had one but I recall going to a weightbridge and only having about 20kg spare off the gross... So maybe the scales were wrong, Or we had to much stuff in there.:Doh:
It was in my early years before I became a "proper" motorhome user...

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Great little vans, used them on hire and they lasted very well indeed!

From Crossmembers rot, check under the cab as these are never rustproofed - inner sill areas worst effected (seen them rust on customers models)

Flickering Speedo/Notchy gearbox/difficulty engaging 1st/reverse when cold - suffered with water ingress in gear box. That is the worst of their faults, many other models do also.

Crossmembers are cheap to replace, so use as a bargaining chip. If gearbox is problematic, especially with the flickering speedo - try to find another or negotiate a price discount of around 3k to cover it. You may be lucky and it is just cables and fresh oil - you many not, so go for worst case scenario.

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
eb autostratus

Another thing to check is the state of the roof seals, there are 2 of them and they sit in the hollow of the roof between front bulge and rear bulge. Rainwater just sits there and unless you put van on an angle (natural or man made)these seals can rot and allow water in. I get mine resealed every 3 years. Oh I have 99 eb climatique. Oh and as everyone else says "got a problem then ask"

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Love mine Id like to chat to other 97 Autostratus EB SE owners as mine has extras on it for example I need to know what the switch inside the hab door is supposed to do :Eeek:

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
switch on right of habitation door

the switch just inside the door switches on the light in the middle of the van, between wardrobe and the toilet door.
It's a courtesy light.
Any problems ask as I've had a 1999 EB for quite a while
Are you going to Peterborough. If you are I'll be there

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ours is a 98 & there is no ight there :Angry:
we have 2 in the rear lounge plus a spot someone has added near the switches
2 in the dinet
1 over the cooker but i think this has been added
1 in the luton
1 outside the hab door

there is also a gas alarm that has been added

I have to check the wiring as the exterior marker lights glow when the outside light is on & the rear spot comes on with the vehicle lights with the outside light on, there is power to the switch but it does nothing :whatthe:
I have been forced to have a day off tomorrow so shall be having a looksee....

We are not doing Peterbourough as im in wales on a White Water Saftey Course but we are going to Newbury as I have nothing else planned.

See you soon hopefully :thumb:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we also have an AC unit there just forward of the toiled but directly over the partition door

hmmm.......

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
lights

I've x2spot lights in each rear corner of lounge ,x2 spots over kitchen and x2 spots over dining table, all these mount under cupboards and i've 2 strip lights spaced down centre of roof and it's one of these that is worked off switch. Outside light is an addon and my power supply is in wardrobe on outside wall and switches guages and fuses are under drinks cabinet.
The spot lights are were using car type bulbs and made the cupboards very warm and wore out the battery so I replaced them with LED's which are brighter ,cooler and all 8 led use same power as 1 old bulb. I just converted the bulb and kept the housings the same.

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
too knackere

You have the climatic version of the EB same as mine. That ac unit will only work on mains and will warm and chill. Have used mine quite often (not in this country).
Some where I think i have the manual will try and find it. Neat storage of paperwork etc not one of my better points. Will talk wife into maybe taking van to newbury. Its only been used twice since July Both times to the garage for work and mot. Am hoping to do Croatia and Greece in Sept in it.
Oh dear my beer can is empty I'd better hit the sack . Goodnight

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
quite some variations over a couple of years, Im definatly going to have to trace any faults 1st before I upgrade any bulbs. That said the ones I have on order are direct replacements with no modifications whatsoever.
I have olso found that the omninster step has a sensor on it it howerver all I know is someone has cut it off completley, so does the manual step have an audible alarm ?

I think its best to fix the problems before I start Upgrading..............

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You have the climatic version of the EB same as mine. That ac unit will only work on mains and will warm and chill. Have used mine quite often (not in this country).
Some where I think i have the manual will try and find it. Neat storage of paperwork etc not one of my better points. Will talk wife into maybe taking van to newbury. Its only been used twice since July Both times to the garage for work and mot. Am hoping to do Croatia and Greece in Sept in it.
Oh dear my beer can is empty I'd better hit the sack . Goodnight

would love to meet n chat if possible.......... May have some wine ready for drinking :winky: if thats your cuppa ::bigsmile:

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
autostratus

Will see you at newbury have some handbooks and brochures about the autostratus and some wiring diagrams will copy some but not sure about the elddis handbook as its about 50 pages I think all about the fitting etc.Anyway will dig out what I've got .Will see you there you'll recognise me as I've got the same van just a bit dirtier ( have a building site across the road from me) due at newbury on Thursday.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Will see you at newbury have some handbooks and brochures about the autostratus and some wiring diagrams will copy some but not sure about the elddis handbook as its about 50 pages I think all about the fitting etc.Anyway will dig out what I've got .Will see you there you'll recognise me as I've got the same van just a bit dirtier ( have a building site across the road from me) due at newbury on Thursday.

I look forward to meeting you& having a good Chinwag :thumb:

Were due Friday between 1600-1800

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back