Free Member
Dec 11, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Gulfstream Sun Voyager
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello again, and thank you for having me on this website my good friends.

I have just sold my house and I have almost completed the sale and have been talking to a friend who will sell his motorhome to me straight away.

I am very excited but I am having some difficulty in insuring the Sun Voyager as I originally wished to live in it but now I think I have to live at my parents house for insurance companies to insure the motorhome.

It is in Spain at the moment and I need to fly out there, collect it and bring it back to the UK to my parents address and am also having difficulty finding insurance for this too, lol.

You could say I am having a bit of a bumpy ride, so to speak, but I haven't even started driving yet. ~:D

My name is Hamid but all my friends call me Ham. Anything you wish to call me is fine as it never changes who I am, being honest. ~:D

I look forward to hearing from you all soon and any advice on the insurance would be humbly and sincerely appreciated. Thank you. Xx

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you do a search on the forum for Full Timing Insurance you will, hopefully, find several which give advice. If I recall correctly, Comfort do a full timing policy.

OP
OP
T

Tigerham

Free Member
Dec 11, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Gulfstream Sun Voyager
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Graham and thank you sincerely for the advice my friend. ~:D

I did try Comfort insurance and they said they would not insure myself if I was living in it unfortunately.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

Tigerham

Free Member
Dec 11, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Gulfstream Sun Voyager
Exp
I'm a newbie
By the way Graham I love your signature strap line and absolutely true.

Laughter is the spice of life but at no ones expense, after all there are jokes that are not offensive...

"Two fish in a tank, one says to the other "How d'ya drive this thing?".

~:D Xx

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Hello there, you will not only find it easier but also a lot cheaper if you can use your parents address as your so called home address, it would also be beneficial if you get on the electoral roll. Just apply for motorhome insurance giving your parents address as your home address I wouldn't mention fulltime motorhoming to the insurance company as you have found out most won't want to know. Most insurance covers you for so many days abroad or in europe so you would then be insured to bring the vehicle back to the UK ( assuming it is UK registered) I have more or less done the same ,using my parents address for anything official such as licience ,insurance and banks etc, I never mentioned that I lived in the motorhome full time merely saying to the broker that I did spend several months at a time touring. several insurance companies spring to mind such as comfort, safeguard, adrian flux,

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hello there, you will not only find it easier but also a lot cheaper if you can use your parents address as your so called home address, it would also be beneficial if you get on the electoral roll.[HI] Just apply for motorhome insurance giving your parents address as your home address I wouldn't mention fulltime motorhoming to the insurance company as you have found out most won't want to know. [/HI]Most insurance covers you for so many days abroad or in europe so you would then be insured to bring the vehicle back to the UK ( assuming it is UK registered) I have more or less done the same ,using my parents address for anything official such as licience ,insurance and banks etc, I never mentioned that I lived in the motorhome full time merely saying to the broker that I did spend several months at a time touring. several insurance companies spring to mind such as comfort, safeguard, adrian flux,

Oh please, no, not this sort of advice again. As has been discussed on several threads in the past, deliberately misleading an insurance company by telling them untruths is fraud. We have a number of members here who live in their motorhomes full time and have insurance which reflects that fact. If they can do it then everyone else can do so without resorting to lies.

OP
OP
T

Tigerham

Free Member
Dec 11, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Gulfstream Sun Voyager
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi again and thank you all for the great advice.

I tried Comfort and said I will be living at my parents as they agreed I could if needs be. But Comfort declined to insure myself as they said they would need at least 3 years driving experience on this Sun Voyager which I think is about a 5.9 litre.

This most certainly is a rediculous society that people live in at the moment.

I never thought it would be so hard to get insured in a vehicle.

I will keep trying tomorrow as everywhere will be closed now.

Thank you again for all your help, sincerely appreciated and great to be here for sure. ~:D

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Are you by any chance a young person (anyone under 70 on this forum) or a new(ish) driver. The bit about needing 3 years experience of driving a vehicle you can't be insured for doesn't make sense otherwise. What is the weight of the vehicle? with a 5.9L engine it is certainly more than 3500kg, possibly more than 7500kg

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
ahlan wa sahlan to the Fun Hamid, that sounds like a large motorhome, I hope you have made sure you have the correct driving licence to drive it a pre 1997 English licence and you are ok up to 7.500kgs. over that you will need an HGV licence. so please do check before buying it or you could have a problem.
I have just checked and that model is nearer to 10 ton than 7.5ton so definately an HGV licence required.

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I also think we need to have a bit more information with regard to getting it insured, and what licence you would need to drive it
it is an american rv that you have put the make of on but there are different models some are under 7500kg and can be driven on a uk licence issued before 1997, other models are over that weight and then you need to hold a HGV licence (for lorries)

If you got your licence after 1997 you can only drive a motorhome up to 3500kg. To drive a larger one up to 7500kg you would need to take an additional test

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Oh please, no, not this sort of advice again. As has been discussed on several threads in the past, deliberately misleading an insurance company by telling them untruths is fraud. We have a number of members here who live in their motorhomes full time and have insurance which reflects that fact. If they can do it then everyone else can do so without resorting to lies.

The op stated that he was going to live at his parents address
"I am very excited but I am having some difficulty in insuring the Sun Voyager as I originally wished to live in it but now I think I have to live at my parents house for insurance companies to insure the motorhome".
As for my own situation I use my parents address as they have a granny annex that is available to me at anytime (plus a lot of my stuff is stored there) I'm also on the electoral roll there, so I'm hardly miss leading the insurance company they place no restrictions on how many days I can use the motorhome, I pay for a years insurance so I will use it as much as I can.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Many people live full time in HOLIDAY PARKS and simply spend 2 weeks or so off site each year .Are these people misleading others or just being economical with the truth?As suggested earlier you could go on long relaxing holiday then return home to see mum and dad for a couple of weeks and catch up with family and friends before heading off again! I wish I could.
Vlad

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This most certainly is a rediculous society that people live in at the moment.

I never thought it would be so hard to get insured in a vehicle.

It gets more ridiculous by the day. Anything that departs by a fraction from "normal" frightens the insurers to death. They can calculate for "normal" but deviate from that and the person at the other end is concentrating on his/her job and pension not your problem. What they may do is offer a stupidly high premium so that they consider their job will be safe.

You might not win this one.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Motorhome Fun, hope you can sort your insurance out, and enjoy your motorhome:welcomefunster:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The op stated that he was going to live at his parents address
"I am very excited but I am having some difficulty in insuring the Sun Voyager as I originally wished to live in it but now I think I have to live at my parents house for insurance companies to insure the motorhome".
As for my own situation I use my parents address as they have a granny annex that is available to me at anytime (plus a lot of my stuff is stored there) I'm also on the electoral roll there, so I'm hardly miss leading the insurance company they place no restrictions on how many days I can use the motorhome, I pay for a years insurance so I will use it as much as I can.

But that is rather different from the posting I commented on "Hello there, you will not only find it easier but also a lot cheaper if you can use your parents address as your [HI]so called home address[/HI], it would also be beneficial if you get on the electoral roll. Just apply for motorhome insurance giving your parents address as your home address [HI]I wouldn't mention fulltime motorhoming to the insurance company[/HI] as you have found out most won't want to know"

That wording implies deceiving the insurance company - i.e. fraud. It is up to all of us to give the full facts to the insurance company, not to simply bend the truth to obtain a deal which otherwise would not be available - and leave innocent, properly insured, motorists at risk.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
But that is rather different from the posting I commented on "Hello there, you will not only find it easier but also a lot cheaper if you can use your parents address as your [HI]so called home address[/HI], it would also be beneficial if you get on the electoral roll. Just apply for motorhome insurance giving your parents address as your home address [HI]I wouldn't mention fulltime motorhoming to the insurance company[/HI] as you have found out most won't want to know"

That wording implies deceiving the insurance company - i.e. fraud. It is up to all of us to give the full facts to the insurance company, not to simply bend the truth to obtain a deal which otherwise would not be available - and leave innocent, properly insured, motorists at risk.

The first highlighted bit was meant to be a sarcastic dig at insurance co., the second I stand by UNLESS you very specifically need fulltimers insurance, I have an address whether I stay there or in my motorhome and for how long is upto me so If I mentioned fulltimers insurance I'am sure that I would be penalised by the insurance company. I'm almost certain they would find a way of bumping the premiums up just at the mention of the word.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I know nothing about full timing but I am wondering if the original post was a wind up, to get things hairy between people who reply in good faith. Pete :Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The first highlighted bit was meant to be a sarcastic dig at insurance co., the second I stand by UNLESS you very specifically need fulltimers insurance, I have an address whether I stay there or in my motorhome and for how long is upto me so If I mentioned fulltimers insurance I'am sure that I would be penalised by the insurance company. I'm almost certain they would find a way of bumping the premiums up just at the mention of the word.

The point is that people are either full timing or they are not. Either way, the facts must be given to the insurance company. If the true details of anyone's chosen lifestyle increase their premiums that is simply a consequence of their choice which they must expect to live with.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I know nothing about full timing but I am wondering if the original post was a wind up, to get things hairy between people who reply in good faith. Pete :Angry:

I got the impression from Tigerham's posts that his enquiry was entirely genuine.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The Guy posted asking advice, and from his post i think it more important that this thread stays on track,

We really need to know when he got his driving licence and the weight of the vehicle in question in order to help him properly.

It would be a shame for him to spend money buying a motorhome/rv that he cannot drive due to having the incorrect licence and then be faced with paying a shed load of more money out to take the correct licence test or end up having to sell the vehicle he likes.

We all know that folk will say you can drive the heaviest RV on a car licence to someone that is not knowledgeable on the subject - just like we all know that is untrue and that you have to have the correct licence, after all its not the seller that will get a big big fine if the person that bought the vehicle doesnt have the correct licence to drive it when pulled by Vosa

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi and welcome to the Fun. :welcome:

I live in my van and Comfort Insurance provide me with fulltiming insurance. It's a bit more expensive than 'normal' insurance but at least it's peace of mind. :Smile:

Sounds as though it's more likely to be your choice of van that's the problem rather than the fact that you may want to live in it. As others have said, if you can provide details of your driving history and the van you want, then we'll be able to help you a bit more.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I have just noticed that the original poster cannot post anymore unless he wishes to subscribe and pay £10, as he has used his free posts and has become a read only poster.
If you are reading this it will be well worth you subscribing in order to gain knowledge on this subject that will help you.
That £10 subscription may save you from loosing thousands of pounds

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hello

Comfort do offer full timers insurance, I have spoken to them a couple of days ago, and it is a different policy from the usual motorhome insurance policy.

If he was refused, it may be as it is his first m/home, and such a large vehicle for a first time.

Also, the question about if he had the correct driving licence did cross my mind,
It could be, that as his friend is selling this to him, he may not realise everything that is envolved in running an RV, fuel usage comes to mind -
and not all sites take such large vehicles.

Would be interested in an update if it was a serious posting,

S

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back