Ireland, do we need a referendum! (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Being as old as I am, I can remember about 45 years of “The Troubles” in Ireland, I was watching the news this morning, and saw that the police had, once again had petrol bombs thrown at them.
I then thought to myself, they call that country Ireland, it is not connected to England, what of earth are we doing in the country. Over the last 45 years it has cost shed loads of lives and goodness knows how much money the British tax payer has had to fork out.

It would seem to me that, if they are not fighting, then they will think of something to fight about, it really is IMO just a total waste of money and effort on the part of this country to try and keep this country (Ireland) as part of the UK.
In this time of austerity is there any reason that we cannot have a referendum to say if we want them as part of our country? After all they have had one, so one may ask, should we have one?

Just thought I would ask

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
But should we abandon those who want to stay part of the UK?

Its a tricky problem and I can see both sides of the argument even though I dont like the methods that one side uses to put their case.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
But should we abandon those who want to stay part of the UK?

Its a tricky problem and I can see both sides of the argument even though I dont like the methods that one side uses to put their case.

Being honest I don't like the methods either side use to promote their case:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Ireland is split because of religion. Those in the North are the only ones bothered, Southern Irish only want the Catholics and any other religion will get treated like 2nd class citizens. The south sold out the six counties when partition took place. We cannot abandon a situation we have caused and abandon the people as well. When religion is no longer an issue, then a united Ireland WILL occur but not before. I'd like to add a smillie but they are all religious symbols, hee hee

bmb1uk

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
LEICS
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
the union flag ,means the same to them as the koran is to muslims

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Irish problem

This is a hugely complicated situation and the only solution is democracy and the ballot box. That means that only the people of Northern Ireland can decide their future either in or out of the Union.

If you think walking away from NI and handing it to Eire would solve the problem think again. The current unrest is caused by Unionists protesting over the Union flag, think what would happen if those same people suddenly found themselves living in the Irish Republic.

Democracy and learning to live together is the only answer.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Wasn't there a vote in 1922? and the 6 (?) counties voted to stay with the U K ?

thearchitect

Free Member
Sep 20, 2012
North London
Funster No
MH
Getting closer.
Exp
Short stint 1972-6 none since
Ireland - A alternative view

Ignoring the stag party in Dublin of Henry ll and 5,000 of his mates in 1171 and the 'bickering' on Irish soil in 1315 between Bobby the Bruce and his brother Edward l, up to the start of the 17th Century the Irish were a fairly relaxed, carefree and happy bunch, with only one football team, the Bhoys, to root for. :Smile:

Then Jimmy 1st (or 6th - depending where you live) sent a boat load of 'Jockie' Protestants over to the north of Ireland telling them to confiscate land and generally cause havoc. This they did with some relish and success over the next 100 years or so and then, just to really p**s the Catholics off, they established the Anglican Church of Ireland and their own football team, 'the blue noses'. Boy, then the doo doo really did hit the fan and, well, you know the rest, it's been downhill ever since. :Sad:

So my solution in Ireland is to send everyone with Scottish ancestry back to Scotland, give the land they stole back to the Irish and everybody's happy again. Oh, I almost forgot about big Willie A L'Orange and his boys. Everyone with Dutch ancestry should also be sent back to Holland (or made to travel to all four corners of the earth forever) and anyone whose ancestors nicked edible potatoes in 1850, or whose surname is Craig, should also be 'asked' to leave.

Et voila - lasting peace and the chance to design a new (slightly smaller union) flag! Simple huh, put the past behind us and move on? :thumb:

Okay, so I know the English may have had a tiny hand in this somewhere, but hey give us a break, we got enough people here to support already who claim we 'oppressed' them some time ago and loads more who we didn't. :whatthe:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
There are 7.5 million people living in England who were not born here and you want ethnic cleansing in Northern Ireland based on 17th century migration. Respect for all.

thearchitect

Free Member
Sep 20, 2012
North London
Funster No
MH
Getting closer.
Exp
Short stint 1972-6 none since
There are 7.5 million people living in England who were not born here and you want ethnic cleansing in Northern Ireland based on 17th century migration. Respect for all.

Ethnic cleansing is a bit strong. Who cares where people are born, it's what they contribute that matters.

I was attempting to allude (with a little off-beat humour) to the fact that Ireland has been subject to a number of outside influences over a very long period of time and not just for the past 45 years, as mentioned in the OP. However I am informed that allusion is not always appreciated here (except possibly by JJ, but maybe this is ‘illusion’).

Ireland has been invaded on and off for over 1000 years with a large number of Irish people giving their lives in these various struggles. However, without doubt, the biggest change came in the 17th century, when Jimmy 1 (or 6) decided that Ireland had to be conquered and subsequently that the protestant faith had to be introduced. Thereafter followed a period of British Protestant political dominance and turmoil leading eventually to partition, dispute and many unfortunate and unnecessary deaths on both sides.

History shows that this 17th Century 'migration', as you call it, undoubtedly, led directly to the current problems.

I really don’t think that the 17th Century Irish Confederate Wars, or the Williamite War, where protestant supremacy was enforced, would be considered as ‘migration’ by the Irish people. I do accept, however, that the Scots were not the only protagonists and for this I apologise.

I have no belief in any particular religion, however I do believe in a united Ireland, peacefully and amicably achieved, outside of British Control, and for this I make no apology.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Replace the word Scottish with Coloured or Muslim and suggest they return to their ancestral homes and it is easier to see you support ethnic cleansing. Just because the comment is claimed to be humorous does not make it any better.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

[HI]So my solution in Ireland is to send everyone with Scottish ancestry back to Scotland[/HI], give the land they stole back to the Irish and everybody's happy again. Oh, I almost forgot about big Willie A L'Orange and his boys.[HI] Everyone with Dutch ancestry should also be sent back to Holland[/HI] (or made to travel to all four corners of the earth forever) and anyone whose ancestors nicked edible potatoes in 1850, or whose surname is Craig, should also be 'asked' to leave.

Et voila - lasting peace and the chance to design a new (slightly smaller union) flag! Simple huh, put the past behind us and move on? :thumb:

Ethnic cleansing is a bit strong.[HI] Who cares where people are born, it's what they contribute that matters.[/HI]

[HI]I was attempting to allude (with a little off-beat humour) to the fact that Ireland has been subject to a number of outside influences over a very long period of time[/HI] and not just for the past 45 years, as mentioned in the OP. However I am informed that allusion is not always appreciated here (except possibly by JJ, but maybe this is ‘illusion’).

Ireland has been invaded on and off for over 1000 years with a large number of Irish people giving their lives in these various struggles.

I have no belief in any particular religion, however I do believe in a united Ireland, peacefully and amicably achieved, outside of British Control, and for this I make no apology.

hmmmn...

So as you say "who cares where people were born" it's what they contribute that matters"....

But then, you conversely say, it's where their ancestors were born that matters.... (of Scottish ancestry - you say you would send them back to Scotland)...

Which is it to be......?:RollEyes:

So the 21st century Scotsman / Dutchman (separated by 400 years from his ancestors arriving in Ireland) striving to make the peace process work in Ireland should be kicked out purely on the basis of a dozen or more generations of ancestry....?

With your attempt to allude (with a little off-beat humour):Doh:, to the fact that Ireland has been subject to a number of outside influences over a very long period of time...

would you also consider to consign the Neolithic arrivals from Iberia, the Vikings from Scandinavia, as well as the Galls, that all should be evicted, or is it really just the Scots arriving under James to whom your policy would selectively applied to?

Such a interesting policy, applied worldwide, would be fascinating but may however cause Ireland to collapse into the sea under sheer weight, if the USA and the rest of the World sent every person who had a Irish descent, traceable over the last 400 years, back to the "Motherland" of their origin - Eire...................:Doh::Doh:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When you colonise a country by force you have two choices... you either

a) If you have the stomach for it you ethnic cleanse the indigenous peoples ... as done in N America, Australia and NZ

or

b) Try to control, wait for the rebellion and be prepared for a long protracted war .. as in
Ireland, S Africa, India, Rhodesia, and several other African countries..

The only solution is to pull out of Ireland and leave them to it.. This will result in a protracted bloody civil war until one or the other are annihilated.. that's how it works..

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
The only solution is to pull out of Ireland and leave them to it.. This will result in a protracted bloody civil war until one or the other are annihilated.. that's how it works..

(The above was the 3rd part of a post, I removed the other 2 parts which you can read in the original post)

Very good point. Question: Is there a time, -perhaps after 45 years (and more) that you say, it just not working, we have tried and tried, if its not one side it is the other fighting and killing- That you say, pull out and leave them to it!

And before anobody says that I am suggesting that, remember, its just a question not a demand.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
When you colonise a country by force you have two choices... you either

a) If you have the stomach for it you ethnic cleanse the indigenous peoples ... as done in N America, Australia [HI]and NZ [/HI]

or

b) Try to control, wait for the rebellion and be prepared for a long protracted war .. as in
Ireland, S Africa, India, Rhodesia, and several other African countries..

The British Tried:Doh: But after FIVE Maori Wars where the Cuzzie Bros wopped their , the Brits, behinds Peace descended:winky:

During the three hundred years or so of the looting, rapine, and enforced slavery that was the "EMPIRE" only two countrys were INVITED to become part of the !EMPIRE"

N Z and Fiji

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
The British Tried:Doh: But after FIVE Maori Wars where the Cuzzie Bros wopped their , the Brits, behinds Peace descended:winky:

During the three hundred years or so of the looting, rapine, and enforced slavery that was the "EMPIRE" only two countrys were INVITED to become part of the !EMPIRE"

N Z and Fiji

Ita a shame that nobody seems to learn from the mistakes
made previously in history.
Or want to come to that:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back