Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
The route south

We will be driving straight down to marjal which is the best route

Roughly, this is the route we take in the winter with intention of hitting Spain on the Med coast, then stick with it down to Marjal site. If you're in a hurry you will probably want to use the motorway but if you got the time the main roads run generally parallel with the motorways and are nearly as quick.

Abbeville
Rouen (good luck)
Evreux
Dreux
Chartres
Orleans
Vierzon
Chatearoux
Limoges
Brive la G.
Montauban
Toulouse
Narbonne
Perpignan
On to Spain

Have a good trip
Ed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
From Folkestone is that route motorway

If you use Google Maps there is an option box you can tick to go non-toll. I've just been using it to plot Caen --> Benidorm and the non-toll is shorter, but slower of course.

If you want to influence the route, you just add in places to steer it the way you want to go. But so far it's never given a route that is not very acceptable.

I am planning Caen->Bordeaux, Bordeaux->Zaragosa,Zaragosa->Benidorm.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
In Winter I always prefer the Western route..

Abberville
Rouen
Chartes
N10 all the way to Bordeaux
Then still on N10 to Bayonne and Spanish border at Irun.
Down to Pamplona
Zaragossa
Valencia
Alicante by either coast or inland roads.

Can all be done none toll and plenty of stopovers on the route.:thumb:
Keep water topped up as many aires will have water taps turned off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
best route to spain

Hi,The best route this time of year is as tonka has already posted, if this is your first trip keep an eye on the weather at the border as this can be covered in snow,i am not trying to put you off they do clear it very quickly as they are used to it,but this route is possibly the best one in winter,have a good trip,regards H.:RollEyes:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
tonka has shown the best route ed's route is ok as well but takes longer
as far as michelin says the diff apart from price in tolls and non tolls is around 5 hours
when are you going and what marjal you heading to

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What we found really odd this year was we took 3 days to get down to Zahora, ( using a couple of tolls only ) but 2 and a 1/2 days to get back not using any tolls at all

No idea why it was quicker coming back but it def was ! :Smile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
If you use Google Maps there is an option box you can tick to go non-toll. I've just been using it to plot Caen --> Benidorm and the non-toll is shorter, but slower of course.

If you want to influence the route, you just add in places to steer it the way you want to go. But so far it's never given a route that is not very acceptable.

Hi Brian, Many thanks for that suggestion I have never used google maps for route planning, since your idea got on laptop found where it was , its very good it seems more up to date than my sat nav ( being 6 years old never updated) Thanks this will help me when planning trip to brittany and around next sept. Again thanks
Terry:sin:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I am planning Caen->Bordeaux, Bordeaux->Zaragosa,Zaragosa->Benidorm.

Google earth is very good,but,you do have to be online.
We were given Autoroute 2010 by a Funster at Marjal ::bigsmile: That works without being online and is also brilliant.
I think I would buy it if I hadn't got it for nowt.

Mike

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
In Winter I always prefer the Western route..

Abberville
Rouen
Chartes
N10 all the way to Bordeaux
Then still on N10 to Bayonne and Spanish border at Irun.
Down to Pamplona
Zaragossa
Valencia
Alicante by either coast or inland roads.

Can all be done none toll and plenty of stopovers on the route.:thumb:
Keep water topped up as many aires will have water taps turned off.

That's our return route but never fancied risking the Spanish mountains in January. Perhaps we'll have to try it. Had enough trouble trailing snow ploughs in northern France previously.

Must say, the western route through France and over the mountains in Spain would be our first choice if we were more sure of reasonable weather.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
That's our return route but never fancied risking the Spanish mountains in January. Perhaps we'll have to try it. Had enough trouble trailing snow ploughs in northern France previously.

Must say, the western route through France and over the mountains in Spain would be our first choice if we were more sure of reasonable weather.

I have done this route in the van several times, usually November or early March. When the weather is reasonable we usually turn before Bayonne and go via the Somport tunnel into Huesca and then onto Zaragossa BUT you have to be up to date on the weather and I think on certain dates snow chains must be carried :Blush:
However the road past Bayonne is a good duel carriageway / motorway. Worth paying the toll at this section and with so many trucks along that route I am sure they will keep it open.:thumb: Would have I think to be real bad to bring you to a stop...

The route via Barcelona can catch you out, I have seen snow there, so no route is perfect if the weather wants it's own way. Used to use the route via the centre of France and then down the coast but now prefer the Western route, good roads and plenty of stop over places if you need them..

TIP. !!! Always fuel up before Bordeaux, once you hit the stretch between Bordeaux and Bayonne they hike up the prices. I came back 2 days ago in the car, N10 between Angloume and Bordeaux around €1.36 but once your on that stretch below Bordeaux it's gonna cost you €1.50 +!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian, Many thanks for that suggestion I have never used google maps for route planning
Terry:sin:

Another convert.

As Mike has said you do have to be on line, I do have Autoroute and often compare the two, there's never anything in it. Google is of course bang up to date, well more than Autoroute and has the lovely drag and drop feature if you want a small tweak in the route.

Then you switch to street view and see exactly what your campsite turning looks like, essential for places like the aire/site in Metz which is pretty tricky.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i use Michelin for both the tolls and non toll route i then make a note of the way it guides you and a note of the roads and where to head for then i sat nav it but mainly because i have the road numbers i normally do it the old fashion way by looking for the signs :roflmto:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Another convert.

Then you switch to street view and see exactly what your campsite turning looks like, essential for places like the aire/site in Metz which is pretty tricky.

When were you last there Brian ? this Oct we approached it from east and there were major road works -our Garmin never put a foot wrong after we coudn't take the first route she offered because of the road works.When we eventually got there the water was off and there were 2 vans with er 'itinerant workers' in permanent residence.
We stayed one night only instead of 3 as planned.

Mike.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we always use the michelin route finder as it calculates tolls as well as time so we can decide if its worth taking tolls

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back