Tag axles. (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
The term "tag axle" as applied to MHs is not strictly true.

Way back when articulated lorries (as they were then known) only had two axles on the tractor unit, and the gross weight limit was increased if you had three axles, a third axle was added behind the drive axle. This could usually be lifted when travelling empty, for economy reasons, and was referred to as a tag axle because it had been "tagged" on at the rear.

Soooooo............

In the case of many of todays three axle MHs, which are usually front wheel drive, the rear two axles are drag axles and not tag axles, as they are not tagged on, but purpose built.

Anorak moment over and waiting to be shot down ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All rear axles on front wheel drive vehicles are "drag axles" :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
With a chassis stretch, there's plenty of room behind our rear driven axle for extra trailing arms, airbags, dampers and an axle!

Don't forget the Carmichaels Range Rovers and numerous 6 wheel Unimogs and Land Rover conversions about!

Now I feel a project coming on! Wheres my welder? I'll drop a Kontiki body onto a Unimog in time for skiing. No chains required!!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I wonder how the term 'tag axle' came to be used so commonly with regards to motorhomes, given that there are no true tag axle vans made today?
A tag axle doesn't have to be capable of being lifted from the road, although many on artic tractors can be. A Tag Axle is a 'dead axle' located immediately behind a driven 'live' rear axle. They are used on rigid vehicles as well as articulated tractors. Many coaches have tags, as do some refuse lorries. In the latter case, the tag axle may be steerable to facilitate manoeuvring in tight spaces. If the dead axle is placed ahead of the live rear axle, it is called a 'pusher axle' rather than a 'tag axle'.

So, today's front wheel drive motorhomes with three axles and simply twin rear axled vans, not tag axled vans (bit like a large hobby caravan welded behind the cab!) :reel:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I suppose tag axle is used as every van I have seen only has two axles. The extra axle is tagged on to increase the payload....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So, today's front wheel drive motorhomes with three axles and simply twin rear axled vans, not tag axled vans (bit like a[HI] large hobby caravan welded behind the cab[/HI]!) :reel:

Except PVCs... that's exactly what most motorhomes are .. a chopped Fiat van with a caravan on the back...

personally, I prefer the articulated versions, far more practical :winky:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Well thats mine changed under my profile. Twin rear axle, must remember that when i advertise it for sale.::bigsmile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Why don't we have 'proper' RWD tag axle vans?

I'd buy one!:thumb:

then try to reverse it up onto levelling ramps :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

the proper way is to have a double drive pair of axles with diff locks at the rear then you get no loss of traction no matter what terrain your on.

you will just sink instead:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back