M1 Closed (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
M1 motorway closed after serious accident near Watford

The M1 is closed in both directions near Watford in Hertfordshire after a serious accident.
The southbound carriageway is closed between junctions five and four and is not expected to re-open until mid-morning at the earliest.
The northbound carriageway of the motorway is closed between junctions one and two but is expected to re-open by 07:00 GMT.
The link road from the A41 westbound to the M1 northbound is also closed.
Drivers are advised to use the A1, A40 or M40.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
M1 motorway closed after serious accident near Watford
The M1 is closed in both directions near Watford in Hertfordshire after a serious accident.
The southbound carriageway is closed between junctions five and four and is not expected to re-open until mid-morning at the earliest.
The northbound carriageway of the motorway is closed between junctions one and two but is expected to re-open by 07:00 GMT.
The link road from the A41 westbound to the M1 northbound is also closed.
Drivers are advised to use the A1, A40 or M40.
Bit of a nightmare if you commute this route, the accident happened at 0230 hrs and there are many cars that have been stuck all night between 6 and 5. Local radio is reporting people cocking their leg along the hard shoulder, what else can they do. With a bit of thought the cars should have been turned off during the dark hours.
Two fatalities and two serious so it will be a while closed. :Sad:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ther will be a family missing a mum a dad sister or brother thix xmass :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Glad I have retired

I only live a few miles from the accident and boy am I glad i'm retired. It will be a nightmare around here this morning. :Eeek::Eeek:

But sad to hear about the deaths - its was real icy around here last night :Sad::Sad:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
news reads 2 black BMW's makes you wonder.
very sad.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just picked this up from the internet.:Sad:

A brawl broke out on the M1 today after two black BMWs “racing” at 140mph crashed and two men died.

Four others were injured in the accident near junction five at Watford at 2.30am which led to lane closures and major rush-hour delays this morning. Five junctions of the motorway in both directions were shut although the northbound carriageway has since
re-opened. One witness said it was “like a plane crash” after the leading car clipped the central reservation and bounced off a bridge into the path of the second car.
The occupants who escaped the wreckage began fighting with the occupants of a third car which pulled up over who was to blame for the death of their friends. Police today confirmed that the two men who died were aged 22 and 24 and believed to be living in east London. The men are understood to be from the Bangladeshi or Pakistani community.
Motorist Basit Nasir, said “They appeared to be having a high-speed race.”
He said a five series black BMW went past him “about 140mph” closely followed by a seven series black BMW.
He told the Standard: “It was total mayhem. There was mangled metal everywhere. It was foolish of them to drive at this sort of speed. It was raining as well.”
He said four men in a silver Mercedes C220 pulled up at the crash scene and began fighting with their friends. The group is thought to have been in Luton for the evening before heading north to Milton Keynes before heading back to London.
Mr Nasir said: “They all jumped out and everybody started punching each other. They said, ‘What have you done? You have killed them.’ I tried to break up the fight and called the police from my mobile

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
and in response to that one Buttons i have no sympathy for them but i feel for their families.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
and in response to that one Buttons i have no sympathy for them but i feel for their families.
I had to cancel an appointment today in London, I attempted to get in via J 5 then the A41 but all were chocker so I went back home.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
they wont realise the mass disruption and cost of their actions.
there will be thousands of pounds worth of losses from people that cant get to appointments delays with deliveries etc. etc.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
What can you say?

Carnage?

Attachments

• BMW Crash 2.jpg
    BMW Crash 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 65
  • BMW Crash 1.jpg
    BMW Crash 1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 66

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Young men and fast cars have always been a dangerous combination. Nothing new there am sorry to say. There for the grace of God go many of us when we were younger.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Looking at the pictures it is utter carnage, how would the insures handle such a case where dangerous driving appeared to be the main contributory factor. Would they refuse payment on both cars as they appear to have both been at fault and guilty of dangerous driving.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Looking at the pictures it is utter carnage, how would the insures handle such a case where dangerous driving appeared to be the main contributory factor. Would they refuse payment on both cars as they appear to have both been at fault and guilty of dangerous driving.

Sadly for two of the young men it wont make much difference if the insurance companies pay out or not.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Thats assuming they were insured of course:Angry:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I thought it was an apt question. I would imagine that a number of third party claims would be placed as a result of this accident. Could insurers refuse payment on the grounds of an offence.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think they will probably try. I agree its an apt question by the way I just think a bunch of idiots travelling at that speed at that age in high powered cars are unlikely to own or insure the cars.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back