A Fun Meet/Rally, so what’s it all about? (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
OK, so I have never been to one of these Fun Meets/Rallies, would somebody tell me what happens? What is it like? Is it like the scouts….Ging Gang and all that? Because if so I cannot sing, well I can but you wouldn’t want to hear it:cry:, Is it all old mates meeting up and not a lot of room for “New people”?

Now don’t “Hammer” me as I am just asking, I have read a lot of posts and to be honest it gives me the impression that it is a big drinks party, well we don’t drink much (Bill Judy) so of course if that’s what it is, well not a lot of point going. But of course I may well have the wrong end of the stick, could some kind person explain to a “I have never been to one” newbie? As we would like to start planning next year’s holidays.
Maybe other “Fun” people wonder as well.:Smile:

Thanks for any help given :thumb:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
A Funster Rally not just a big drinking party- it's much more fun than that!

A chance to make new friends, learn things you didn't know about your 'van, share details about holiday routes and sites and generally chew the fat.

Love them ::bigsmile:

Oh - and not a clique in sight. We'll talk to anybody and everybody!

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Usually at meets its a case of join in what you want to
We may all park up together but there is no you must do this or that, we dont drink but go to a few meets each year, usually at the motorhome shows where you do what you want but there is always someone to talk to. We usually have a marque and of an evening folk might gather in there for a laugh, drink, food etc. A meet is what you want it to be - those that want to join in do so, while those that dont are left to their own designs.
Its up to oneself to go along and say Hi if they want to join in, someone doesnt grab you and frogmarch you to the group and make you say hi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well i have only been to one meet but as far as wellkom gows it was one of the best i ever had any whar dident know any one and left with so many happy memores from just one meet:thumb::thumb:
owing to work and family comitiment's haven been to a nother but hoping next year will bee better

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
They are bright shinning lights in todays gloomy world::bigsmile:

personally I look forward to them to meet up with new and old friends and to make new ones,

certainly not big drinks parties, alcohol does feature but it isn't obligatory!! there may be one night where everyone gets together and the drinks flow but also there are birthday parties, BBqs etc as well. Most do their own thing at their own pace, groups of friends go off for meals, meet in their vans, go shopping, bike rides - pretty much whatever takes your fancy to be honest, some meets have themes (like the Pikering or Whitby ones) or are at MH shows

The only rule is join in as much or as little as you want - there is no pressure

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a fun meet is a place to put faces to names, and have a right good laugh. Everyone made to feel welcome, you are all funsters, in a tent, caravan or motorhome. At times we have a singsong, or a bit of karaoke, but not always, of an evening we gather in the fun marquee for a good chin wag and the occasional drink. Sometimes there is food that appears from nowhere, hee hee. Provided by the lovely ladies of fun, Mmmmm Barbara's' carrot cake, more please want more, hee hee. During the day an impromptu BBQ or coffee morning may happen. People chat and sort out problems with their vans. any meet down hear usually sees someone taking advantage of the machine shop to sort a problem or two. It is what you want it to be.The more you go to the more different people you meet and what a variety there is to meet. everyone was a newbie once upon a time, some get to know each other through posting, or chatting in the chatroom others meet for the first time, makes little difference we are all motorhomers looking for fun:thumb::thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You can see what happened at our first one here:

Broken Link Removed

Wyn

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I cannot of course thank everybody individually, so I will just thank you all for your replies in this message. I think that the postings are very helpful and I cannot help thinking it will help lots of people other than me.

Although I have been RV ing and MH ing for many years we have never attended “Meets” perhaps we need to correct this
:thumb:

Thanks again.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I cannot of course thank everybody individually, so I will just thank you all for your replies in this message. I think that the postings are very helpful and I cannot help thinking it will help lots of people other than me.

Although I have been RV ing and MH ing for many years we have never attended “Meets” perhaps we need to correct this
:thumb:

Thanks again.

Yes you can ! In fact at the bottom of each post you have 3 buttons (we're still waiting for a moan button but obviously Jim won't put it::bigsmile:) one for "Quote" one for "Multi quotes" and the last one is a thanks button! And if you want to say you like the post ... you've got just above the "like" button.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Or you can arrive stay in your van, watch telly and then moan on the forum that no-one spoke to you.
Yes it has happened.
It's up to you to mix, weather permitting.

Stratford is one to aim for. Not only FUNsters but a great city to walk around.

Runrig's Misterton meet never fails to be excellent.

Weekenders' Whitby, just like Misterton, excellent but usually fills up a year ahead.

All meets are on the home page LHS.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We don't hardly drink either, so it ain't just you. So we made a coffee and went to the get together in the marquee. Loads of people offered us a drink and nobody (I hope?) said you miserable buggers.

They do rope you in for things though, it's a fib saying they don't. They FORCE you to go and eat bacon sandwiches if they're making them for all on Sunday morning.

And JJ FORCED me to learn how to make balloon animals (I had specifically asked him if he'd be kind enough to do that; prior to the meet but not telling you that)

Del and Barbara FORCED me to adore Rosie, I was FORCED to volunteer to sell raffle tickets with Ms Pitstop, it's all HORRID.

:ROFLMAO:

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
OK, so I have never been to one of these Fun Meets/Rallies, would somebody tell me what happens? What is it like? Is it like the scouts….Ging Gang and all that? Because if so I cannot sing, well I can but you wouldn’t want to hear it:cry:, Is it all old mates meeting up and not a lot of room for “New people”?

Now don’t “Hammer” me as I am just asking, I have read a lot of posts and to be honest it gives me the impression that it is a big drinks party, well we don’t drink much (Bill Judy) so of course if that’s what it is, well not a lot of point going. But of course I may well have the wrong end of the stick, could some kind person explain to a “I have never been to one” newbie? As we would like to start planning next year’s holidays.
Maybe other “Fun” people wonder as well.:Smile:

Thanks for any help given :thumb:

I am going to turn this question around, and ask you what you would like to get out of a funster meet?

I believe that what one gets out of a meet is entirely up to the individual (or couple) and it is difficult to describe as each of us have different enjoyment criteria.

Like Guiness, you will not know if you like it until you try it :thumb:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I am active on a couple of other forums, and I think that joining a forum is just one step away from coming together with other people such as at meets, cos it seems to work well on other forums aswell. I was a newbie and on my first meet a short while back, and especially with it being the whitby goth one, I really didnt have a clue as to how the other folk would be, but it was great, and cant wait for the next one. The atmosphere was relaxed, and the organisation done by some of the other members was just brilliant. The other way to look at it is if you dont give it a go you will never know.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am going to turn this question around, and ask you what you would like to get out of a funster meet?

Think not what your country can do you you, think what you can do for your country, eh !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I 'spose me and woman would be considered 'old hands' nowadays, but lets just say that if it hadn't been for the FUN meets I doubt we would have stuck with motorhoming very long..

We go to quite a few and always REALLY look forward to them..
Sometimes we do not join in, preferring our own company after a hectic week.. just wanting to chill out and relax.. other times..... well lets just say there is never nowt to do ! And no matter what, you are never judged... Everyone tends to do exactly what THEY want to do.. absolutely no pressure to do anything, but everything to do if you want to join in ::bigsmile:

One of the surprising bonuses of being a member of this lot ( ! ) is that we are all spaced out right across the UK, indeed, right across Europe.. Because of that there are almost always new people you have not met before, or are new to the get togethers.. Not once in the 5 years I have infested FUN has there been an occasion when we have not felt right at home almost the minute we have arrived at a venue.. And as many will tell you, I am quite an introvert, quiet, and tend to keep myself to myself ( ok,, that is a wee fib and my nose just shot out 2 inches )

Seriously, get along to one... I promise you will not be disappointed :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Advanced Techniques For Attending A MotorhomeFun Meet.

Lesson One

At least a month before the meet load up all the things you have that do not work. (EG. A generator, sat dish, fridge, heater...)

On arriving at the meet park where you see the yellow flags with smiley faces.

Get out (for example) the genny and put it near the door of your van.

Get out a spanner and a screwdriver.

Adopt a puzzled look (you can practise this at home before the meet if you want.) and start pointing the screwdriver at something on the genny.

Within seconds you will have gathered a crowd of Funsters (mostly of the male species) one of whom will grab the screwdriver from you and, advised by all the others, will set about fixing the genny.

Sneak away quietly and watch proceeding from the warmth and comfort of you van.

Do not, in any circumstances, open a case of beer/wine/spirits or they will stay all weekend.

JJ :Cool:

Next week, Lesson Two. How to get a free habitation check.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Spose I should have explained more than I did, when we had an RV many, many moons ago we did go to a couple of “Meets” and to be honest we found that most drank quite a lot and it seemed to be the reason for the “Meet”, of course time has moved on and since joining “fun forum” I have been thinking of going to a meet as I thought that it might just have changed and according to your replies it certainly seems that it has.
But the reason for the question, was that we are planning our tours for next year and because we spend a lot of time at our house in Spain, it takes a bit more sorting out (ferries and the like), I know that we are going to tour Scotland during July and will be in the UK all of August, sooooo its whatever meet is on during that period of time that we shall try and go to.

Regarding the “Thanks” button, I do know I could have “Thanked” everybody that replied to the post by “Pushing” the thanks button but thought that it might be better just to say a “Big thank you” to all that had taken the trouble to answer, laying my “fears” to rest.
Sounds like fun and I am sure we will enjoy it and looking forward to meeting some of you guys…..if we can find one to go to during July and August.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Think of a bring and buy meeting hosted by leaders of the Temperance Movement, but with a large dash of booze, a smattering of Nutters, with a side plate of born again Hells Angels , without a bike, teeth, leather jacket or brains.

Combined age is greater than the combined IQ..

That’s about it really..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Think of a bring and buy meeting hosted by leaders of the Temperance Movement, but wish a large dash of booze, a smattering of Nutters, with a side plate of born again Hells Angels , without a bike, teeth, leather jacket or brains.

That’s about it really..

NOW yur talkin, that's made me mind up, just what I was lookin 4!:thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
And thats just Old Mo, he is nearly house trained and if you whistle he will return your hubcaps.

There are a vast range of Funsters as has been said.

The very reverent JJ and his Quaker Oats lessons, ask him and he will show you has tattoo.

Jim, in his pink tutu and Lambretta sandals.

Wildman and his mobile hairdressing salon and homoepathy and organic nettle beer.

Sondance, on a leash, it’s the only way that Mrs Sundance can keep him under control along with the leather truss that prevents him from cocking his leg on every lamppost

On the outside of the meets you will see the social outcasts, (Hymer and Burstner owners) and their traditional goat curry and faggots…

One you have been assessed you can be introduced to Jaws, and his embroidery lessons and lover of anything from IKEA..

There you go..

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
JJ's post is not far from the truth.
At the Lincoln rally Gwen fried the inverter with her hair drier. It was my fault of course for mentioning that the bacon butties were ready (it was Sunday morning and people were already gathering) so she decided to "speed things up" by using the hair drier instead of whatever the usual thingie is that she uses.
I had time to rush around the show and acquire a replacement inverter and try to fit it. I borrowed a drill from Sundowners. Needless to say, as a mechanical dunce it wasn't going well. And having poor eyesight doesn't help when you drop a nut in the grass. And it's a "special" nut. So despite a few other Funsters rummaging through their toolboxes we couldn't find a replacement that would fit.
Then it started to rain.
No. It started to pee down.
Then a most kind neighbour seeing me in the gathering gloom came over and helped me finish the job. Well actually he finished the job and I held his golf brolly so he didn't get soaked.
It was just about dark when we finished and retired to our vans to get something to eat and dry out.
The kind chap chap left early on Monday morning before I had a chance to thank him properly or even get his Funster name so I could thank him publicly on here.
So whoever you were sir, you are a true gent.
Thank you
Mike

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Think of a bring and buy meeting hosted by leaders of the Temperance Movement, but with a large dash of booze, a smattering of Nutters, with a side plate of born again Hells Angels , without a bike, teeth, leather jacket or brains.

That’s about it really..

CLASS A1 :clap:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Advanced Techniques For Attending A MotorhomeFun Meet.

Lesson One

At least a month before the meet load up all the things you have that do not work. (EG. A generator, sat dish, fridge, heater...)

On arriving at the meet park where you see the yellow flags with smiley faces.

Get out (for example) the genny and put it near the door of your van.

Get out a spanner and a screwdriver.

Adopt a puzzled look (you can practise this at home before the meet if you want.) and start pointing the screwdriver at something on the genny.

Within seconds you will have gathered a crowd of Funsters (mostly of the male species) one of whom will grab the screwdriver from you and, advised by all the others, will set about fixing the genny.

Sneak away quietly and watch proceeding from the warmth and comfort of you van.

Do not, in any circumstances, open a case of beer/wine/spirits or they will stay all weekend.

JJ :Cool:

Next week, Lesson Two. How to get a free habitation check.

JJ :thumb: I am sat in't van at Bonterra Park(Espana) with tears rolling down my cheeks after reading that-what an insight into how it works ::bigsmile:
We have met Perri and Tony here and are going on to Villasol in a few days where we will meet other Funsters who we first met at Meets ::bigsmile:

Mike.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
At the Lincoln rally Gwen fried the inverter with her hair drier. It was my fault of course for mentioning that the bacon butties were ready (it was Sunday morning and people were already gathering) so she decided to "speed things up" by using the hair drier instead of whatever the usual thingie is that she uses.
I had time to rush around the show and acquire a replacement inverter and try to fit it. I borrowed a drill from Sundowners. Needless to say, as a mechanical dunce it wasn't going well. And having poor eyesight doesn't help when you drop a nut in the grass. And it's a "special" nut. So despite a few other Funsters rummaging through their toolboxes we couldn't find a replacement that would fit.
Then it started to rain.
Then a most kind neighbour seeing me in the gathering gloom came over and helped me finish the job. Well actually he finished the job and I held his golf brolly so he didn't get soaked.
It was just about dark when we finished and retired to our vans to get something to eat and dry out.
The kind chap chap left early on Monday morning before I had a chance to thank him properly or even get his Funster name so I could thank him publicly on here.
Thank you
Mike

Twas I(Dave), and you are very welcome.

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Just to add my 2p

We recently attended our first fun Meeting
Waldegraves Nov.2012
both Sheila and I had a Great time
not because of drink (although some was involved)
but because of the quality of the
organisation and the company there.
There was no cliquishness at all
we did our own thing when it suited us
and were warmly welcomed when we did join in.
It really is a great Club and I look forward
to many meetings/gatherings in the future.

Thanks to all
Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Then it started to rain.
Thank you
Mike

Another one fell for it then Jay.. Your other half shoots of and grabs all the bacon butties while you pretend to attend !! :ROFLMAO:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hiya Billy

A fun meet can be anything from

a) a motorhome show where we all park together
b) a funster saying Im staying here this weekend anyone want to join me
c) an organised meet by one of the funsters either in the UK or abroad

The thing with most fun meets, is that no two are ever the same.

We recently hosted a meet at Waldegraves in November. We had every type of weather (apart from snow) from cold and dry, through to heavy rain and 80mph winds and people joined in whatever the weather.

We were allowed to bbq in the covered sink area and laid on hot mulled wine to keep us all warm. My husband does not drink alcohol and there were quite a few drinking tea and coffee. We put on the forum what we had planned and just left it up to others to participate if they wanted. During the day there was a range of activities from golf to pool/snooker and bingo and a funster provided a quiz and we did a raffle. This meet started about 5 years ago with 5 vans. This year we had 35 many of whom were "new funsters" who had not attended a meet before. We provided an area for people to meet and did a meet and greet on the Friday evening, everything was up to the individuals to join in or not.

In the summer of 2010 we held another meet at Waldegraves. Totally different from the winter one. We put up a gazebo and funsters were invited to bbq with us of an evening. During the day we had games, flew kites, some of us watched the carnival procession and went to a fete, some went swimming and one set funsters made a boat. You can view the pictures here:-

If you are visiting in the summer, there is the Malvern motorhome show. We attended this one for the first time this year. There were motorhomes to look at during the day, a coach trip into the town if you wanted to go, there was line dancing and music in the evenings provided by the show if people wanted to attend. Some funsters in the evening just sat in groups or had entertainment between themselves. At this particular meet we started one afternoon at 3pm with cakes from Ray and Geri as it was Ray's birthday, this turned into a large funster gathering with people staying sitting chatting drinking tea coffee alcohol and ended up turning into a bbq and later a singalong. It was totally impromptu. The hosts provided bacon rolls on the final morning (sort of like a coffee morning).

As I said though every meet is different and not everyone attends the same meets. Have a look through the various rally photos in 2012 and you may see what I mean

Hope this has been helpful.

Last edited:

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Hi Billy23. We went to our first meet at Waldegraves in Essex. Met some really nice people, otherwise known as Funsters, very friendly and informal, we were made to feel very welcome by everybody we met. Teepee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back