Free Member
Dec 3, 2012
Brighouse
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 08/12/12
Hi all, just joined the 'club' as i've recently taken early retirement and I want to get into the world of Motorhomes. Thing is, which one should I go for ?? To be honest the main consideration for me is hopefully to get one that can take my Sportsbike (ZX10R) which weighs about 200kg. I'd prefer to put it in a garage rather than tow it along behind. Where do I start :)

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
hi brig10r i think the first place to start will be check that your licence allows you to drive over 3.5ton (health reasons etc). because that sort of weight coupled with the overhang on the rear axle would be massive . i think you will need to be looking at tag axle vehicles at least . this forum is full of people who have weight and payload issues with 80 kg scooters let alone 200 kg superbikes (got a firebade myself)! there is always the option to go down the self build route as well because the door openings on most motorhome garages are not usually the widest in the world.so if you are determined to carry your bike internally then you could design the ramp and door to suit the kwacker!! good luck and welcome garry

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
my Sportsbike (ZX10R) which weighs about 200kg. I'd prefer to put it in a garage rather than tow it along behind. Where do I start :)

PM forestboy, he has a Versys in his garage. But a big tag axle MH.

Only the biggest can stand 200K on the back because of the leverage from back to back axle. 200K can mean 300K extra on the back axle and that's most of your load capacity.

Plan B, cheap Chinese 125 at 100kg. That's much more doable.

DANnALI

Free Member
Dec 2, 2012
high wycombe
Funster No
MH
talbot eldis autoquest
Exp
i am a newbie
ever thought about a bike trailor no need to worry about weights if u get the right trailor a box then more storage space just an idea to think of

OP
OP
B

Brig10r

Free Member
Dec 3, 2012
Brighouse
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 08/12/12
Thanks

Thanks for all the very useful replies. I'm sure one or two were maybe thinking, 200kg ! is he mad ? Well yeh maybe I am but nothing wrong with asking the question :) Obviously there are options out there and I'll keep looking .... to be fair the race conversions on E-Bay look good but I don't think the other half would go for that .... she's accommodating but that might be just pushing it a bit far ::bigsmile:
I haven't ruled out the option of a different type of bike. i've currently got the ZX10R and a Triumph Tiger so i'm not worried about riding something different.
Anyway, I've obviously come to the right place for advice and information so I made the right choice there. Thanks for all the welcomes and please keep the replies coming :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the fun, a couple of points. Carrying a bike internally changes the vehicle from PHGV to an HGV for MOY, Insurance and Licence purposes. That could be very costly to do legally, and uninsured if done illegally. There are a number of towing options including the wheel assisted platform which can fold away when not in use, a box trailer, standard or transverse trailer. All things depend on your licence and storage space. An RV for example will carry that bike on the back without a problem but can you live with the low MPG.
Do check out the rallies page and the chatroom, quiz night is Thursday at 8pm

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If you find a van that ticks all the boxes and will carry a heavy bike (either a Bird or a Trophy, don't mind which) for God's sake let us know.

I tried a pushbike, honest I did, we got a pair of folders specially. I'd not been on one for 50 years but I really was forced to come to same conclusion I did when I was 9. I had to admit then I couldn't ride my bike properly and had to ride onto the grass verge, and drag my foot along a convenient and substantial fence, in order to stop. On that occasion I'd omitted to notice the telegraph pole halfway along the fence. Cunningly, the home owner had creosoted the fence in exactly the same hue as the PO.

I still can't ride a bike properly now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Brig10r

Free Member
Dec 3, 2012
Brighouse
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 08/12/12
Well .... I've got one

So i've gone and done it. Yesterday I purchased and brought home a Weinsberg Meteor 790MQ ..... it's a big one ! Just about fits on the drive. Now for the ritual trip to Wilkinsons for cleaning materials and other bits and bobs ... bedding, pots, pans no doubt and the rest !
Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fun. Roll on summer :)
Any info about this specific van or any general stuff a newbie might need (I've never owned one before, haven't a clue really) would be welcome

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welcome on board :thumb:

I can make lifge easier for you.. I will give you £300 for the front forks and wheel off the ZX.. ( want 'em to fit on my Blackbird project ) That will make your bike much lighter and shorter !!:winky::ROFLMAO:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Link Removed
I use one of these,great bit of kit,I used it for my Harley now the Triumph:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back