Dealers best 'Fob you off' lines (1 Viewer)

Letsgetaway

Free Member
Jun 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Caravan for 4 years; new to motorhoming
What’s the best bull s**t line you’ve been given by your motor home dealer, for something you know is wrong with your van?

Here goes…..ours is to do with the famous leaking scuttle on our new Ducato, which is pouring in water into the engine bay because it is warped away from the windscreen.

The reply we got from the service manager, after much to-ing and fro-ing to the so called workshop was “from 2009 Fiat themselves sealed them” so I said “that it has not been sealed, as you can see underneath that there is no sealant and the water is pouring in.” “Oh no, it’s below the rubber where you can’t see it” he said. I said again “it has no sealant and it’s pouring in water”, knowing that he wasn’t going to win the argument he turned around and then said “that it’s designed to let the water in :whatthe:” Rubbing my head in my hands and laughing to myself I said I’m not going to argue about it, I’ll do it myself you stupid man. (I didn’t actually say you stupid man but I certainly thought it!):shout::shout:

Now what’s yours?

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
We're going to change the shower floor moulding( shower tray )

Of course we can put a hatch door in the back

And fit a new heater

You take it have three weeks away

Then we will have it in and do it

Me on the day of collection

You haven't done the shower tray

No swift haven't got one so we are waiting

I said I'll take £250 off and pay it to you

When the tray is fitted

When I phoned no idea about the tray or the other bits

As we never intended off site camping and use of site facilities

It didn't matter to us

Cut my own hatch fitted a propexheater heater

Never bothered with the tray

Saved money doing it myself

Would I return to that dealer no chance
Went to a dealer to change the van 18 mnths back
Noticed they were part of the same group turned and walked

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Best advice I can give you

GET IT IN WRITING

never ever no matter what take their word as its not worth anything in a dispute, if they intend to keep a promise then they can put it in writing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One often heard at bike dealers, and massively over used is...

Oh, they all do that sir

yer right !!! :Angry: :Doh:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It only judders because you do not know how to reverse it ring any bells

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
you just want to cry with frustration

me returning brand new m/home after 1 week,
the rubber round the sink has been cut and should be changed, the rubber round the windows overlap and need cutting, the control box dont allow the battery to charge the engine battery on ehu, the fresh water drain tap has fallen from the body and is trailing on the ground,and needs changing,the decales are rolling up from the bottom 1 has blown off compleatly, the motor is stalling sometimes,[as you come to a r/about with the clutch down]
HE LOOKED ME IN THE EYE AND SAID,"YOUR GOT TO TAKE THE VAN TO FORDS, AND YOU ALWAYS GET SOME LITTLE NIGGLES ON NEW VANS" :cry::ROFLMAO::cry:

fords gave the van 3 new updates to the computer at one go [so now working ok]
the control box was sorted out after 3 visits
i had to "make a apt for when the tap come in with decales [note 4 return trips over200 miles total, 6 months and todate 1 decale still not fitted
found out that the cooker did not light up,[ it clicked smelt of gas but did not flame up]
so at the NEC this oct i spoke to the MD of autotrail, he's reply "your contract is with the dealer, not us, and the best way to light the cooker is TURN THE GAS ON HOLD DOWN AND BLOW.:Doh:
george

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Along with the line "only ever been driven by the vicars wife to and from the church", I purchased a nearly new (used) outboard motor and the line that came out of his mouth,

"only ever been used on a small dinghy in a swimming pool."
:ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The favourite of private sellers is very simple
"Sorry couldn't tell you if it works, we never used it!"
Once when trying to buy a hymer 660s, that was the reply we got to evey question, needless to say we walked away and have heard it a dozen times since from other sellers.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
dealers without morals

But the biggest crime is by oursleves, knowing that they all have the morals of alley cats and will tell you anything to part you from your hard earned cash we keep going to the dealers and buying new and used motorhomes from them.:Doh:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
'We've never had anyone else with that problem with a van before' - making it sound like you're a total eejit. :Angry:

So then you tell them of all the instances of the same problem you've gathered from MotorhomeFun ............ :thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
To put the boot on the other foot I remember being in a motorbike shop when a youth walked in. Without even bothering to remove his full face helmet he asked for a "wotsit that goes under the tank". The chap behind the counter looked at him and said he did'nt know what he meant. The youth then said " you know, one of them things that goes down there" while gesticulating in an animated fashion. The sales man looked even more puzzled and the youth was getting more irate and with one last attempt at a description uttered the words, " you must know what I'm on about, the doofahs that go down there" .The salesman shook his head and as he did so the visor on the lads helmet slowly slid down and steamed up. At which point he turned round and left the shop. We both looked at each other and burst out laughing.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The funny thing is,.....people really relate to the truth. Our first MH was old, had loads of problems, many more than I first thought, so we decided to cut and run and put it on ebay. I put an elongated description of it, warts and all, sprinkled with loads of humour, I missed nothing out.
Apart from the reparte in the "questions" section, I had buyers falling over themselves to bid for it...and I didnt give it away!
It sold for a little less than I paid for it, I expected to get a bloody nose, enthusiasm and exitement are not good tools when choosing a mh. The buyer arrived, paid and took it away a happy man. He delayed leaving (good) feedback, as he went away in it to see what it was like, but with the description I had put, he would have had no comeback anyway...altogether a good deal.
If a dealer turns me over, the thing that REALLY starts the fire burning, is that I consider they think i am a idiot, that i either would,nt notice the fault, would,nt care, or would be too scared to complain. They have no excuse, THEY are the experts, they should ceck everything and take responsibility for it, even if it is a "wear and tear" fault that they have no intention of putting right , it should be in the terms of sale so that the buyer knows what he is buying.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
What’s the best bull s**t line you’ve been given by your motor home dealer, for something you know is wrong with your van?

Here goes…..ours is to do with the famous leaking scuttle on our new Ducato, which is pouring in water into the engine bay because it is warped away from the windscreen.

The reply we got from the service manager, after much to-ing and fro-ing to the so called workshop was “from 2009 Fiat themselves sealed them” so I said “that it has not been sealed, as you can see underneath that there is no sealant and the water is pouring in.” “Oh no, it’s below the rubber where you can’t see it” he said. I said again “it has no sealant and it’s pouring in water”, knowing that he wasn’t going to win the argument he turned around and then said “that it’s designed to let the water in :whatthe:” Rubbing my head in my hands and laughing to myself I said I’m not going to argue about it, I’ll do it myself you stupid man. (I didn’t actually say you stupid man but I certainly thought it!):shout::shout:

Now what’s yours?

Never argue with an idiot....they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.:ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
When I mentioned to a main dealer at a show that my 6 month old Swift Kontiki had severe water ingress he said with a smile on his face. You've got one of those have you we call them the Konleaky in the trade. :shout:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I've had "Well no-one else has complained about that", to which I replied that I was probably gonna be the first of many.

I've also had "I have no idea what you mean, so I can't help you". This was an answer to the question of how to calibrate my control panel to the PSU.

Fills you with confidence, doesn't it :Sad:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
" its not a fault as such, its a characteristic"!:ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I heard one dealer said "My lot don't know how to tell porkies":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That was me ! and.........................................

If its gone wrong, we fix it, end of story, can't be arsed to duck and dive, if one does it only backfires on you, quicker, cheaper and more honest to fix problems than try and get out of them

Peter

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Dealers

After having collected my brand new £44,000 van, I was given a "hand-over" and the confirmation that a very thorough PDI had been carried out. That evening the heating & water heating wouldn't work on gas. I took it back next morning and was told that the fault was that a section of the ventilation tubing was kinked and they had now rectified this problem. When I asked why this wasn't noticed during the "thorough PDI" there was a silence, followed by "it must have been damaged when we took the van to the LPG dealer to fill the Autogas tanks". I pointed out that: 1/ If the Autogas tanks did not contain gas, how did they carry out a thorough PDI?
2/ Filling gas bottles does not involve going anywhere near the heater ventilation hose (they are on opposite sides of the van!). This was followed by a deathly silence.
I will be taking the van back to the dealers with a list of other faults that need rectifying and sincerely hope that I have been listed as "an awkward bugger", since this may be a way of getting decent service.
I have worked in the motorhome industry for decades and I don't like being taken for an idiot.
I will post the results on Fun of the latest attempt to get the van to an acceptable standard - it will happen in the new year.

BobT

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There is another side of the coin of course, and that is do people who are trading there vehicle in with a dealer tell the dealer all of the faults ?. The public can be very fickle when it suits them. Oh by the way I am not a dealer and wouldn't have that job for any amount of money. I can sympathise with dealers as its not always there fault when things go wrong.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It only judders because you do not know how to reverse it ring any bells

There is another side of the coin of course, and that is do people who are trading there vehicle in with a dealer tell the dealer all of the faults ?. The public can be very fickle when it suits them. Oh by the way I am not a dealer and wouldn't have that job for any amount of money. I can sympathise with dealers as its not always there fault when things go wrong.

A difference here, when buying from a company , whatever you are buying should be fit for purpose and if warranted any problems corrected.
With a trade in it is the responsibility of the trader to ensure that he is comfortable with what he is paying for as it would be second hand and being sold as seen .

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Part ex

Before my old 'van was accepted as part exchange the dealer did a thorough inspection and I pointed some faults that they did not notice!

BobT

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
A difference here, when buying from a company , whatever you are buying should be fit for purpose and if warranted any problems corrected.
With a trade in it is the responsibility of the trader to ensure that he is comfortable with what he is paying for as it would be second hand and being sold as seen .

Ahh so isn`t just the information you need, he doesn`t check the van out because he`s not interested.
He`ll just sell it on and the other buyer can find the problems.

Our last motorhome was bought at the Newark Show, we discussed the figures a few adjustments made till we were happy with the deal and we signed on the dotted line.
I asked the sales guy when he would like to look over our motorhome and he said oh when you bring it in, I pointed out that it was only 200 yards away and I didn`t want to drive across the country for him to tell me he couldn`t stand by his part ex offer.
Oh it`ll be ok he said and that was that, they didn`t even look at it when we went to pick up the new motorhome.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Ahh so isn`t just the information you need, he doesn`t check the van out because he`s not interested.
He`ll just sell it on and the other buyer can find the problems.

Our last motorhome was bought at the Newark Show, we discussed the figures a few adjustments made till we were happy with the deal and we signed on the dotted line.
I asked the sales guy when he would like to look over our motorhome and he said oh when you bring it in, I pointed out that it was only 200 yards away and I didn`t want to drive across the country for him to tell me he couldn`t stand by his part ex offer.
Oh it`ll be ok he said and that was that, they didn`t even look at it when we went to pick up the new motorhome.

Same kind of thing with us. Wasn't interested in looking at ours at all.
Had to virtually force him to look at it when we went to collect the new one.
Even then he wasn't taking any notice. :Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Same kind of thing with us. Wasn't interested in looking at ours at all.
Had to virtually force him to look at it when we went to collect the new one.
Even then he wasn't taking any notice. :Doh:

Same with car trade-in. When we changed ours last January the salesman was only interested in verifying the mileage and that there weren't any big dents in the bodywork.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back