Reflective armbands in France and the blow in a bag (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
This may be of some use to funsters who use motorbikes and scooters over 125cc in France

Bikers will not need armbands
RIDERS of motorbikes will not, after all, have to wear reflective yellow armbands as of January 1. Interior Minister Manuel Valls has said he wants to take longer to evaluate the requirement, which was fixed in a decree earlier this year for riders of most motorbikes (above 125cc).

RIDERS of motorbikes will not, after all, have to wear reflective yellow armbands as of January 1.

Interior Minister Manuel Valls has said he wants to take longer to evaluate the requirement, which was fixed in a decree earlier this year for riders of most motorbikes (above 125cc).

A spokesman for campaign group Motards en Colère (“Angry Bikers”), said – despite the name: “We are very satisfied with this announcement because the famous armband is nonsensical.”

The group had previously described the measure as a “provocation” by the previous government, useless for bikers’ safety.

Mr Valls made the announcement on launching a new programme of work for the Conseil National de Sécurité Routière (CNSR), which will look into road safety improvements, including for motorbike riders who are the group the most at risk – they represent 23% of road users killed in accidents but just 1.9% of traffic. Bikers using bus lanes will be among the issues discussed.

The CNSR has been given an overall task of finding ways to meet a new objective of halving road deaths by 2020 – from 3,963 last year to under 2,000. It will look at issues surrounding those most at risk (eg. the bikers and young people) and aggravating factors like speeding, alcohol and drugs.

Although dormant since 2008 the council consists of around 50 members including politicians and representatives of associations, businesses and insurers.

Also

Minister rethinks breath test plan

November 28, 2012

INTERIOR Minister Manuel Valls has asked advisers to look at the law that forces drivers to carry a breath test – and tell him if they think it is worth it.

The law, which came into force on July 1, 2012, was one of the last measures of the Sarkozy government and was intended to cut down on drink-driving, with alcohol being the no1 cause of road deaths.

Full application of the law – which would see drivers and motorcyclists fined €11 for not having a kit - was delayed until November 1, 2012, to allow for the kits to be made fully available. Mr Valls has already extended this to March 1, 2013, as a nationwide shortage of kits has seen prices soar from the initial €1 to €5 each.

Now he has asked the Conseil National de la Sécurité Routière to look at the plan again. He said on Europe 1 radio: “This plan and its working pose a certain number of legitimate questions, so we need to evaluate it. The CNSR will look at this measure and after this evaluation I will draw a conclusion.”

But he insisted that he was not reining back the fight for improved road safety: “I want us to continue this battle against road accidents, against speed, against alcohol, against drug use – but we need a prevention policy that works with young people.”

Road safety campaigner Chantal Perrichon, of the Ligue Contre la Violence Routière, told Connexion last month that the law was “useless” and was introduced by the Sarkozy government “just to be seen to be doing something”.

She added: “We need to look to Britain where they have real policies against drink-driving and where they have massively reduced the number of road deaths due to alcohol.”

The test kits themselves, she said, were not reliable and gave too many “false negatives” while also being easily affected by both heat and cold... something often found in cars.:Doh::Doh:

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I was under the impression that all motorcyclists riding bikes over 125cc had to have at least 125 sq.cm. of reflective material on the back of their clothing between the shoulders and the waist - not armbands.
In addition, and my understanding is that this is already compulsory, you must have four reflective stickers on your helmet, one at the front, one at the back and one each side. Many helmet manufacturers supply these with their helmets.
This is all getting too daft for words, the French government should make a clear and concise statement and stick to it so that we all know what we are (or should) be doing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
then it would not be France, better not to know what to do,because then we know we are not doing it and cannot be in trouble. ahhhhhhhhhhhh Liberation

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
I thought that one of the last acts of the Sarkozy government was to make it compulsory for all mototcyclists to wear yellow reflective jackets.

Dave

Last edited:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
do not worry it appears to me the French do not /will not except or obey stupid rules bless them, so doubt that anything will change.::bigsmile:

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Here's my two pennorth on the subject - which may or may not be of interest.

Some time ago I signed up with a French organisation that is fighting the introduction of mandatory breathalysers in cars.

Below is a rough,quick translation of an Email I recently received asking for more signatures on their petition which already has 250,000.

The link is at the end

I can provide thr original French version if required.

Dear friend,

The government will insist that you have a breathalyzer in your car?
It is in the coming days that this will come into play ...

Here it is, the National Road Safety (NSRF) required by Manuel Valls is formed. And it's primary mission is to evaluate the interest of decree requiring to hold a breathalyzer in your car.

The Interior Minister has understood that the French are angry to have imposed on them a breathalyzer whose sole purpose is to maximize the profits of manufacturers and do nothing to improve their safety on the road. And this is why he asked the Council to reconsider the case.

Clearly, it could decide to abandon the project.

Except that faced with the manufacturers of breathalysers who will not easily let escape a market of 76 million euros - they also obtained after a lobbying scandal. They are already using blackmail of unemployment. It's too easy! They could also make it mandatory for drivers to wear helmets, it will create jobs in the helmet manufacturers ...

And the millions of drivers who will be verbalized € 11, while they did not drink a drop of alcohol, just because he did not buy breathalyzer, according to them this is normal?

Today, the battle is engaged.

And we can win if we show that we CNSR the massive support of the citizens.

Our petition against mandatory breathalyzer has already collected 250,000 signatures.

I'll go back to the first petitions 250.00 Armand Jung, President of NCRP, on behalf of the French who refuse imposed on them a device they do not need and will not improve security.

But the standoff that engages with the manufacturers should be many more to convince the Council.

So please, if you have not already done quickly sign the petition "No to mandatory breathalyzers" here

And have it signed by as many people around you to help us obtain the annulment of the decree.

Say to your friends that it is obviously not defending reckless drunken drivers. But to show the Council that citizens refuse something that imposes breathalyzers in their vehicles whose sole purpose is to maximize the profits of manufacturers, and will not improve their safety on the road.

If some want to have a breathalyzer in their glove box, no stopping them. But it is absurd to make it mandatory for everyone!

Thank you in advance for your work to help us get the annulment of the decree!

Sincerely,

Christiane Bayard
Secretary General
League for the Defense of Drivers

Link Removed</SPAN>

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
do not worry it appears to me the French do not /will not except or obey stupid rules bless them, so doubt that anything will change.::bigsmile:

Most people who find rules stupid are in fact themselves stupid.

Though these rules are often ill thought out and ineffective they are there to provide safety to ourselves and our families - rules necessary by the moronic behavior of many motorists.

For example since cracking down on drink driving in France the death toll has fallen significantly.

Me..... I'm all in favour of hidden and average speed cameras.

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
Most people who find rules stupid are in fact themselves stupid.

Though these rules are often ill thought out and ineffective they are there to provide safety to ourselves and our families - rules necessary by the moronic behavior of many motorists.

For example since cracking down on drink driving in France the death toll has fallen significantly.

Me..... I'm all in favour of hidden and average speed cameras.

Oldun, I agree with you on most of what you say, but I don't think it constructive to call people stupid!

The crackdown on drink driving in France has maybe had some effect on reducing the death toll, but then if you drive anywhere in France after the midday lunch break you will see more than your fair share of drunken drivers!

To my mind what has had a far more significant effect is the crackdown on speeding. New speed cameras no longer have big warning signs etc. advertising their presence and there are far more random checks with Gendarmes operating "hidden" radars. There has also been an increase in the number of solid white lines on the roads.

If you take a look in the scrap yards around France, you will see that most of the vehicles in them have been involved in head on smashes caused by drivers trying to overtake where is just not possible to do so.
I agee wholeheartedly with you on average speed cameras, you only have to travel through a section of roadworks on a motorway where they are in operation to see how effective they are.

What is the point of telling speeding drivers they are about to go through a speed check? Speeding! Here comes a camera! Slow down! Gone past the camera, speed up!

It doesn't take a genius to realize there is a flaw in that system. So yes average speed cameras are a great idea.

Dave

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Now that the french think it is b........ks the british goverment will bring it in tomorow.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back