Anyone into 00 Gauge Railways? (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Amongst other stuff in the loft, I've got a lot of mostly Hornby locos and carriages much of which date from the fifties and some newer carriages and goods trucks bought in the early 90's when a shop in Norwich sold all their stock off.

Got more time but even less space to do anything with it than I had 20 years ago so in the loft it stays.

Now the grand children have dug out the star wars toys I'm thinking it's time for the train set to put in an appearance. Is there anyone out there who knows anything about compatibility between old and new track and switching and whether the very old analogue locos would convert to DCC. Yes, I know I could ask away in a model shop but I know I would be tempted to spend a lot of money for taking up the bloke's time. :Doh:

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
First major problem you will have is that you cannot run the old engines and rolling stock on new track because the wheel flanges are too deep. If your old track is in good condition it would be as well to build a layout with them.:Smile:
I don't know enough about DCC to comment on using it with the old engines.

Blobsta

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 635 2016
Exp
30 years
I converted mine, do you wish to sell them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just tempted by the versatility of DCC but there's certainly enough old track to set up a decent layout assuming the locos still run and no reason I imagine, apart from space, why they I can't run separate layouts within a layout if I were tempted to add a modern set to it. If you see what I mean? :RollEyes:

No I'm not thinking of selling at this stage, must have a play with it first. :Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
You can contact Hornby direct and they dont charge for their time, I think they are still based in Kent.

Seriously I wouldnt let the kids play with them or the star wars toys, there are very serious collectors out their and the children once grown up would probably far more appreciate the inheritance value.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi

The first thing to check if they are Hornby Dublo is whether they are 3 rail or 2 rail.

I know you can convert 3 rail to 2 but the 3 rail stuff is very collectable and probably worth more than 2 rail.

If you have the correct track set it up and have a play - but it will probably end up back in the loft !
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Hi

The first thing to check if they are Hornby Dublo is whether they are 3 rail or 2 rail.

I know you can convert 3 rail to 2 but the 3 rail stuff is very collectable and probably worth more than 2 rail.

If you have the correct track set it up and have a play - but it will probably end up back in the loft !
:thumb:

What I've set up in the past has been the standard 2 rail stuff with mostly old Princess Elizabeth locos (about 6 of them) and a few other engines, nothing very exciting apart from age value maybe.

There is some 3 rail track but not sure if there is anything to run on it, what am I looking for, would the locos have a central pick-up feed from the rail, can't remember seeing anything like it but just maybe?

And yes it was out of the loft when we moved 15 years ago but not since. :Blush:

Now I've started this topic I suppose I ought to get it down and have a look but we're babysitting our 2 and 5 years olds this weekend so might get distracted. :whatthe:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
What I've set up in the past has been the standard 2 rail stuff with mostly old Princess Elizabeth locos (about 6 of them) and a few other engines, nothing very exciting apart from age value maybe.

There is some 3 rail track but not sure if there is anything to run on it, what am I looking for, would the locos have a central pick-up feed from the rail, can't remember seeing anything like it but just maybe?

And yes it was out of the loft when we moved 15 years ago but not since. :Blush:

Now I've started this topic I suppose I ought to get it down and have a look but we're babysitting our 2 and 5 years olds this weekend so might get distracted. :whatthe:

Yes the locos will have a centre pick up, the axles and wheels on 3 rail locos are steel and will short out 2 rail.

I've got some of both myself - will get around to selling them ........sometime:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back