What is the best European breakdown cover? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
What is the best and cost effective European breakdown cover for a 15 year old motorhome when accross the channel? :Eeek:
I would not bother for myself - just take a toolbox but-
we are going with x 2 toddlers so i have to be prepared in case it goes banG !

Dec 10, 2010
where ever we park up
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
just completed 6th year
Hi
I would recommend ADAC they also do very good medical cover, we always used them when I was in germany with the army and went to spain on holiday with the family
regards
tony

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Adac also but be aware that in France you may have to pay for services and claim it back on your return:Eeek: It is only French womb they have that problem with
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We have always used the Caravan Club Red Pennant. When we caravanned our Shogun blew up just north of Paris the night we left home and they were absolutely brilliant - had us towed to a site that night, a replacement car delivered to us the next lunchtime and ours delivered to the dealers back home - as far as I'm concerned worth every penny! ::bigsmile:

Aunty Jan

Free Member
Nov 1, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2006
Hi
I am doing a bit of research about European Motorhome Breakdown cover and wondered what was the outcome of your enquiries. Am very interested in the ADAC cover but will they cover a 4.5tonne Hymer?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
The problem seems to arise with the agents used by all the major organisations and that is the area that you need to have clarified with whoever you choose. Some place a maximum value on what the will spend to recover you if they are unable to assist at the roadside. Particularly relevant for RVs and vehicles over 3.5 tonnes.
Like most forms of insurance it is not the amount you pay it is how well you are dealt with when you need to claim that sets them all apart.
Look at the thread from Jock and Rita on how they were dealt with by ADAC, it does not make a case for recommending them. Things went wrong with the French agent ADAC called but they tried to wash their hands of it and push the blame and costs onto the French Agent. Not what I expected from such a large organisation.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi
I am doing a bit of research about European Motorhome Breakdown cover and wondered what was the outcome of your enquiries. Am very interested in the ADAC cover but will they cover a 4.5tonne Hymer?

Thanks

Yes, our 4.6 tonne Hymer is covered, but you will need the "plus" contract.

The problem with French agents is a concern, and we have looked at others, and find age restrictions are in some t&c's. The only one I have found that states "no age limit" (or words to that effect) is RAC Arrival through the C&CC. Go direct to RAC and you hit the age limit again.

I hope this helps, good luck.:thumb::thumb:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi

Thanks

Hi Aunty Jan, ADAC will recover up to the following limits:::
Weight : 7.5t = 7500kg
Length : 10m = 34'
Height : 3.2m = 10'8"
Hope this helps you and they have no age limit either, except maybe like all the recovery companies, may not recover if recovery costs for than the vehicle is worth?????, So your Hymer is well within all the requirements of ADAC s regs and you will be fully covered. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
adac

When i checked their website, looks like you glad to be a German resident?
S

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We are with Safeguard for insurance and this includes breakdown cover, UK & EU, with the AA. We are 4500kg and had to get help from them when our clutch went. They would have provided recovery to nearest garage no problem (we didn't need it as managed to limp there ourselves just needed to know where a suitable one was) but what we found out was that as we were over 3500kg they would not provide any accomodation costs etc... If we were 3500kg or under then we could have claimed up to £1000 to cover costs, luckily it was repaired in a day so didn't need hotel. It seemed strange that weight limit would make this difference and will be looking at other cover for next year.
It cost me a fortune in phone calls even when they rang me as I still had to pay and they basically found a croatian counterpart of the AA to deal with me.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
When i checked their website, looks like you glad to be a German resident?
S

Not correct....

There are many members on here who are members of ADAC and who have used their services in both UK and abroad. In UK if i remember correctly they use the AA to respond to any calls in the UK.

:thumb:

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
adacadac

A few months ago during a trip to UK for a particularly worrying family matter,and having a lot on my mind I discovered that after 66 and a bit years of being infallible ..::bigsmile: my halo slipped and it wasn't till I'd gone about 10 miles down the A6 that something made me look at the receipt from the fuel station ... :Blush: ... :Doh:

T'was a dark & stormy night ... phoned Adac.de.,explained the situation. Nicht problem - 'our partners in ze uk vill be viz you shortly'.
AA phoned me to get coordinates and to check weight etc.
AA patrol called to say he'd be with me in 20 minutes. I asked if he knew exactly where I was and the exact nature of the problem and whether he knew a MH was involved - no.
He said he couldn't get to me for over an hour.
An hour later he rings to say there's no point in him coming to me as he wouldn't be able to do anything at the side of the road.
I was then told nothing could be done as it was an 'own fault' breakdown. It was, so no argument there.
Anyway, minutes later Adac lady rings me to check I'm being looked after. Expresses concern, apologises and says please be patient for a couple of minutes. 2 mins later she rings again to say 'international recovery' is on its way to recover me (needed to get to west Wales, 200 miles away).
10 mins later AA rings to say 'sorry, we can't help'.
Adac rings back just as I pick up the phone to ring them. Aghast that I'd been 'dumped' on the side of the A6 etc.she said she would arrange for an independant company to come out to recover the MH to a workshop with tank-draining facilities, asap, and she would arrange a hotel for me f.o.c.

Final result of this saga: Dumped by the AA. Despite being let down by their 'uk partners' Adac, in minutes came up with an alternative. The 'alternative' brought out the correct recovery truck, first time. The MH was treated with care. The cause of all this was sorted within an hour, and enough fuel put in to be able to reach a fuel station. The only disbursement for me was the actual draining operation + £8 of diesel... Adac lady rang again later to check on progress and informed me that as I wanted to stay with the MH instead of in a hotel then I should accept the money a hotel would've cost (can't remember exact amount now, think it was 100 euros -ish).

So for me - Adac - 11/10
Adac's 'partner' - 0/10

(Ps: Had no complaints about performance/fuel consumption/hill-climbing ability etc. previously but what started out as a total cock-up :Blush: has turned out to be a total success: Delyth is transformed. She's quieter, much sprightlier, even better on fuel than she was before.

Had this accidentally-discovered remarkable performance-enhancer been intentional the figures would've been worked out differently: just enough neat unleaded to be effective, say £10 in nearly empty tank, enabling one to fill up with diesel and carry on... As opposed to £45, leaving no room to add diesel when discovering the cock-up, leading to £249 to have it drained.)

Perhaps wouldn't recommend this method for more delicate modern machinery :RollEyes:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I'm with Safeguard only used them once not overly impressed but ok eventually after a lot of insistance on my part. As for ADAC far too many horror stories for my liking I personally would'nt wate a penny on them.

From my own experience I think if your under 3500kgs most are ok if your over 3500kg they'll sell you a policy but let you down when needed.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I was then told nothing could be done as it was an 'own fault' breakdown. It was, so no argument there.

Don't understand why theytold you this - we get the AA recovering people that have put the wrong fuel into their vehicle to our garage all the time:whatthe:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Don't understand why theytold you this - we get the AA recovering people that have put the wrong fuel into their vehicle to our garage all the time:whatthe:

Neither do I! ADAC had no problem at all with it. 3 different bods at AA said they wouldn't help as it was 'own fault'. ADAC took it upon themselves to help independant from their 'UK partners'.

:Angry:

We've experienced Adac's services on quite a few occasions in various countries and involving different vehicles - our own and those of friends. Adac had no problems recovering our old Merc 608 (6.5t and 23'), a Jeep in France, etc...
Can't understand why anyone has problems with Adac...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Neither do I! ADAC had no problem at all with it. 3 different bods at AA said they wouldn't help as it was 'own fault'. ADAC took it upon themselves to help independant from their 'UK partners'.

:Angry:

We've experienced Adac's services on quite a few occasions in various countries and involving different vehicles - our own and those of friends. Adac had no problems recovering our old Merc 608 (6.5t and 23'), a Jeep in France, etc...
Can't understand why anyone has problems with Adac...

Would the AA or others know that it may take (some time) to get funds paid , for acting on Adac`s behalf?
So talk themselves out of it!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
AA did it for us

We are with Safeguard for insurance and this includes breakdown cover, UK & EU, with the AA. We are 4500kg and had to get help from them when our clutch went. They would have provided recovery to nearest garage no problem (we didn't need it as managed to limp there ourselves just needed to know where a suitable one was) but what we found out was that as we were over 3500kg they would not provide any accomodation costs etc... If we were 3500kg or under then we could have claimed up to £1000 to cover costs, luckily it was repaired in a day so didn't need hotel. It seemed strange that weight limit would make this difference and will be looking at other cover for next year.
It cost me a fortune in phone calls even when they rang me as I still had to pay and they basically found a croatian counterpart of the AA to deal with me.

I am also with Safeguard +AA breakdown, and when the flywheel went on our van in France, they couldn't have been more helpful, Since it was under 3,500kg we didn't have your problem. They gave us a hire car to continue our holiday, and since the van was under warranty trollied it back to UK, explaining that the repair would be v. expensive (and not under warranty) in France. They paid nearly £800 of hotel bills (not £900 as they told us), and even sent a taxi to the campsite to take us to pick up the hire car. When we got to Calais they provided a UK reg car (with 17 miles on the clock!), so we could just transfer all our stuff, including the wine, into the new car, drive it onto the boat and drive it home. Excellent service.

Catherine

belboy

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
N/Ireland
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
I am also with Safeguard +AA breakdown, and when the flywheel went on our van in France, they couldn't have been more helpful, Since it was under 3,500kg we didn't have your problem. They gave us a hire car to continue our holiday, and since the van was under warranty trollied it back to UK, explaining that the repair would be v. expensive (and not under warranty) in France. They paid nearly £800 of hotel bills (not £900 as they told us), and even sent a taxi to the campsite to take us to pick up the hire car. When we got to Calais they provided a UK reg car (with 17 miles on the clock!), so we could just transfer all our stuff, including the wine, into the new car, drive it onto the boat and drive it home. Excellent service.

Catherine

Hi Catherine......can you just confirm please which company supplied the excellent service for your flywheel mishap...safeguard or AA......cheers

Belboy

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
SAFEGUARD is the motor insurance company, they use the AA for the breakdown service part of the policy. In your policy document you get a telephone number to use if you breakdown and this is the number for the AA in the UK, they will then liase with a breakdown company in whichever country you are in.
I believe that ADAC operate in a similar way i.e. the actual recovery etc is provided by a third party, usuallly the AA.
I'm sure someone will correct me if this is not so :Smile:
Jacky

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
[

I believe that ADAC operate in a similar way i.e. the actual recovery etc is provided by a third party, usuallly the AA.
I'm sure someone will correct me if this is not so :Smile:
Jacky[/QUOTE]

That's right, as in my tale above. Adac sadly let down by its 'partner' ... :Sad:

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
what is best european breakdown cover

Hi,Not a motorhome story, but two weeks ago my granddaughter rang the AA for a breakdown call,she is 19 years old never had a breakdown before,it was dark and in a strange village,she rang and was asked where are you she told them what village but did not know any road names,so they said we cannot help if you dont know where you are,so a young lady abandoned in the dark in a strange place,with no help,i had recovery done by independent gararage in 20 minutes,rang the AA the next day and they said it was not a problem as they could trace the phone call, so they are sorry and would pay the bill,but in future i will stick with the only breakdown company that does arrive within 30 minutes and never lets you down,and that is green flag,this is only for the UK. I have been in the motortrade most of my life and have known this for a long time,it was a offer my grandaughter had with insurance,it would be good to start a voting system for breakdown cover, from our members saying which breakdown co,how long did you wait,did they let you down,that would be a good topic.regards happypre65.:winky::winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back