French Motorway Toll Hight Class (1 Viewer)

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Newbie but 25 Years towing.
Not asking what class applies to what, I understand that.
But when I traveled with my last MH which because of its Sat dome was 3.3m high it always seemed to attract the higher Class 3 toll. I assume this was because the run in to the booth seemed to have hight sensors on?
But I now have a lower 2.6m high conversion and it is clearly Class 2.
So what is stopping me driving into a automatic cash lane or even a T lane with a pass and being classed as a Class 1? I assume there must be hight sensors again set a 2m?
Yes i know about challenging the class 3 so please don't reply on that its been done to death.
Its the way the tolls both maned and unmanned determine hight that interests me?
Peter

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]Not asking what class applies[/HI] to what, I understand that.
But when I traveled with my last MH which because of its Sat dome was 3.3m high it always seemed to attract the higher Class 3 toll. I assume this was because the run in to the booth seemed to have hight sensors on?
So what is stopping me driving into a automatic cash lane or even a T lane with a pass and being classed as a Class 1? I assume there must be hight sensors again set a 2m?
Yes i know about challenging the class 3 [HI]so please don't reply on that[/HI] its been done to death.
Its the way the tolls both maned and unmanned determine hight that interests me?
Peter

Is there a question in there anywhere?

The only one I can find is "So what is stopping me driving into a automatic cash lane"?

If that is it then I don't know!........:RollEyes:

OP
OP
Curtisden

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Motorway Tolls

Why are these forums populated with types that don' know the answer to a question but even so reply pointlessly to tell us so?
:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Yes i know about challenging the class 3 so please don't reply on that its been done to death.
Peter

If I remember rightly the auto tolls have barriers set at 2m so that might stop you getting through, never tried it myself. :ROFLMAO:

I always imagine they are there to stop exactly what you are suggesting.

OP
OP
Curtisden

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Motorway

If I remember rightly the auto tolls have barriers set at 2m so that might stop you getting through, never tried it myself. :ROFLMAO:

I always imagine they are there to stop exactly what you are suggesting.

No not preposing cheating.
No the 2 m Left hand lane is too low and for cars anyway.
Its what stops the unmanned toll lanes saying everything under 3m is class 1?
Peter

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
(snip)

Its what stops the unmanned toll lanes saying everything under 3m is class 1?
Peter

Presumably they use a variety of sensors.

from wiki

Inductive sensors embedded in the road surface can determine the gaps between vehicles, to provide basic information on the presence of a vehicle. Treadles permit counting the number of axles as a vehicle passes over them and, with offset-treadle installations, also detect dual-tire vehicles. Light-curtain laser profilers record the shape of the vehicle, which can help distinguish trucks and trailers.

more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_toll_collection

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
[HI]Why are these forums populated with types that don' know the answer to a question but even so reply pointlessly to tell us so[/HI]?

By referring to "these forums" I'm guessing you are including this one due to the reply you received here.

If you ask a sensible question someone will come along with a sensible answer (eventually).....:RollEyes:

But many "types" will come along with questions to your question (instead of answers), replies which make no sense, replies which are totally off topic, replies without answers, and they often will introduce FB pies and tales of gassing.

However, you will soon get used to this, as this is not just any old Forum....... this is FUN.!.......:thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Peter

Here's the reason you are not Class 1 (cars in the main) and will never be so...

Class 1 = Vehicles up to and including 2m in height

and here's the link Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Curtisden

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
By referring to "these forums" I'm guessing you are including this one due to the reply you received here.

If you ask a sensible question someone will come along with a sensible answer (eventually).....:RollEyes:

But many "types" will come along with questions to your question (instead of answers), replies which make no sense, replies which are totally off topic, replies without answers, and they often will introduce FB pies and tales of gassing.

However, you will soon get used to this, as this is not just any old Forum....... this is FUN.!.......:thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I have been using forums of one form or another for many years.
Caravan and motorhome forums seems to have more than its fair share of these types.
Its not fun its a waste of space to say I don't know repeatedly.
Silence is golden.

peyrilles

Free Member
Nov 13, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi
You are not allowed to go through the auto peage because of the hieght limit (2 meters) and
thes are reserved for cars only.
I would also doupt that useing the pre-payment scheme would be cost effective unless you plan to use the auto-route on a daily basis, the permit would be issued for your vehicle which is class 2 so you can't get round it that way.
I live in France and own an A class MH at 2.75 meters is allways counted as class 2 at the peage you should expect to be charged as class. 2 also.
Hope this answers your question

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
And another one makes the iggy list:ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I understand it's a laser, too. When it's unmanned, if you break the beam, then you are automatically Class 3. So then you have to do the press the button thing.

If it's manned, no idea if the beam is on or not, but in any event if you are only marginally over 3m and not a tag axle or anything else that falls into the higher class, they always charge Class 2 - but anyway - at 3.05m we always 'fail' the first and 'pass' the second.

As an absolute bonus we came off the A whatever nr Montlucon last July, and when we saw it was automatic my heart sank, we'd had to go into the office at the toll before Abbeville already that day as they tend NOT to answer the ruddy button - we've had to pay it twice now, ask the machine for a receipt, go in the office and wait and wait, eventually someone comes and annuls it and puts another debit through on your card.

Anyway the barrier at M charged us Class 1 ! I've never shoved a card into a machine that quick in me life and we almost left rubber on the tarmac to get through the barrier quick!!!

I expect they've mended it by now ..... :ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We had a tag thing this Summer going through France. We are class 2 but the sat dome took us just over 3 metres.

Most of the time we were fine, but on a few occasions the automated tolls wouldn't let us past. We pressed the button for help and they just pressed another button to make us class 2 and the barrier opened.

A little bit of hassle but better than rummaging for change all the time.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why are these forums populated with types that don' know the answer to a question but even so reply pointlessly to tell us so?

Caravan and motorhome forums seems to have more than its fair share of these types.
Silence is golden.

You'll find this happens a fair bit here, especially so in a thread like this one which goes unanswered for an hour. Unfortunately once a post slips off the front page unanswered it can easily disappear forever. Someone kindly taking the time to tell you they don't know the answer bumps the post back to the top of the front page, which means more people will see it and your more likely to get an answer. Which is exactly what happened.

If you are really worried about wasting our server space then why did you make yet another post to admonish that type of person .:Doh:::bigsmile:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Why have you retired?

Silence is golden.

I hope you don't mind Curtisden, but I am going completely off topic.

For me, you have a brilliant career awaiting to pop in and out of during retirement, training sales people.

Here are my experiences as a user of technical systems, writing specs and reviewing sales submissions, working for a technical company and being out in the field with the engineers assisting in installs and training users.

My experience of sales people was if they were asked a question about product capability and did not know the answer, they were far from silence is golden. They first said yes it would do anything the customer wanted and spent th next 20 minutes trying to con you into believing what they had no idea about.

The result was we were left to explain to the purchaser and user staff not only could the product not make gold bars from waste wood ash as promised by the salesperon, but that it was never ever likely to.

Space? Say you wanted a one page summary and you would get a binder full of the company info, what it had achieved and how it was the best in the world, with a three page summary.

So, you may be able to see where i am coming from.

A sales person keen on brevity and factual answers is many customers dream, get training them please.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
It's obvious

Peter

I see you have a six metre panel van. :Eeek:Now that is tall. It probably makes it class 4 at least, even without any laser sabre thingys.

JUST RELAX

OP
OP
Curtisden

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Motorway Tolls & Hight?

Just signed up for a French motorway tag and apart from the DD details no reference was made to class or hight of the transport.
It also said that the tag could be used on any car owned by the tag applicant.
So that means there are hight sensors at 2 m and 3 on all lanes.
So now just have to afford it. :Eeek:
Peter

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just signed up for a French motorway tag and apart from the DD details no reference was made to class or hight of the transport.
It also said that the tag could be used on any car owned by the tag applicant.
So that means there are[HI] hight sensors at 2 m and 3 on all lanes.[/HI]
So now just have to afford it. :Eeek:
Peter

a decent explanation of Fast Trak toll boths and how the height and type of vehicle is detected, .. item (4) is the infra red light curtain height detector http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FasTrak

Fastrak_toll_diagram.jpg

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Buying a tag will not change what they charge you ! Depends on what you are driving ! They have ways of measuring you :ROFLMAO: seems expensive looking at the site. Paying initially for tag plus the annual fees etc . We have never bought a tag since living here as we would not make enough use of it. Also bought here it goes with the vehicle so need to buy several.

Can see the advantage of not having to pay at each peage especially in a right hand drive. But cannot see a financial advantage but I wait to be corrected :Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have nothing to add to this thread!

Just get away with what you can and spend it on quality wine!:thumb:

OP
OP
Curtisden

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Motorway tag

Reason I want a tag is simple. Convenience! Not its cost at all.
The cost is a max of 10 euro pa regardless of how often you travel or less than 80p a month. The 20 euro tag fee is refundable.
I travel alone a lot and so it will help stop holding up the locals.
But even though I don't use motorways that often, when I do it's tends to be at night racing back to Calais. After swmbo has flown home early as usual to get back to the family.
The cost pa apart from tolls is less than the toll between Calais and Arras.:Doh:
Seems strange to drive a very expensive truck and worry about pennies?
But if saving cash is your buzz just look at the conversion % the credit card co's use. This lot only charge a 2% surcharge. Some cards are 5%+ so it may be cheaper.
p

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I see :Smile: I was just concerned that you might be under the impression that it would somehow circumnavigate the bigger charge for a bigger vehicle.

We use peage sometimes but really not enough to warrant a tag and certainly not for each vehicle . One motorhome, one car, one motorbike and one triumph spitfire !!

Also after 9 years here we have routes we prefer when traveling around.

Bon voyage en La Belle France :Smile:

OP
OP
Curtisden

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp