Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
My microwave has just packed up in the van, i would like a combi oven but all of them i have looked at have been to deep to fit into the space that my last one fitted into.
Anyone know where i can get a shallower combi microwave from?
I have looked at the slimline ones but even they are too deep. The maximum depth we have to the back wall is 35 cm.
The microwave that was fitted in was a standard household one supplied by swift when we purchased van 2 and.a.half years ago so out had a.good run.
I am a little bit glad it's gone as i really wanted a combi.
W are never off hook up and usually have 16 amps but obviously will be lower when abroad.

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
combi

Hi we have combi:thumb: - wouldn't be without it but did struggle to get one to fit :Doh:- our space is 45cm ish depth and ours just fits depth with feet on the base but door sticks out - but only couple of inches - is perfectly safe and never moves and doesnt look odd.
Just a thought but could you fit wall brackets at the back to help with the depth - it would mean it would stick out though - just an idea.:Eeek:
Jaen x

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I don't actually think that animal exists TBH.

Plus if there is one, where's all that heat going to go? MUCH more than just a microwave.

Edit - just seen other reply - what did you do about venting?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
venting

Hi - vented top and bottom and sides - gets hot yeh but all comes out into RV and doesnt smell of what is cooking - bonus:thumb: - so turn heating down when cooking.
Have had one for 5+ years now.
Jaen x

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Anyone know where i can get a shallower combi microwave from?
I have looked at the slimline ones but even they are too deep. The maximum depth we have to the back wall is 35 cm.

Think it's very unlikely that you'll find a combi microwave to fit in a 35cm deep space - the fan at the back of the oven makes them bulkier by design. As a compromise, you should be able to find a microwave grill to fit quite easily - if that would be any use to you. Could also consider a Remoska as a possible oven replacement.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Found one that is 39cms and would stock out just slightly so we are going to go with that one, should be okay as a microwave had been fitted into that space anyway.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Found one that is 39cms and would stock out just slightly so we are going to go with that one, should be okay as a microwave had been fitted into that space anyway.

As Sedge mentions, just be aware of any extra space requirements for heat dispersal with a combi. Eg for the Panasonic Slimline Combi: Please note: for proper operation, the oven must have sufficient air flow i.e. 5cm at one side, the other being open; 15cm clear over the top; 10cm at the rear.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A microwave with a built-in grill, or a combi oven gets a LOT hotter than just a microwave so suitable venting should very much be a major consideration. Before you go about installing it, use it on your worktop in the house and see just how hot it gets and then you can decide if it is really safe to put it into an enclosed locker in a motorhome ... I wouldn't do it personally.

If you do decide to install it, however, ensure that ALL the surrounding carcass etc has some form of heat shield/barrier to prevent it getting hot whilst still allowing plenty of ventilation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
For the sake of safety i have decided we won't get a combi oven as there is not enough clearance to disperse the heat.
What about a halogen oven, store in existing gas oven bring out when needed?
We will Get a normal microwave as well to go in the space left by the broken microwave.
Can you defrost in a halogen oven?

Thanks everyone for the very helpful and safety conscious replies.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As far as I'm aware you can defrost stuff in a halogen oven, however you can also do it in a microwave oven too which might be easier. I would suggest, however, that you never defrost any chicken in this way, but instead leave it to defrost gradually in a fridge as that is by far the safest method due to the risk of salmonella.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
For the sake of safety i have decided we won't get a combi oven as there is not enough clearance to disperse the heat.
What about a halogen oven, store in existing gas oven bring out when needed?
We will Get a normal microwave as well to go in the space left by the broken microwave.
Can you defrost in a halogen oven?

Thanks everyone for the very helpful and safety conscious replies.

Halogen oven works well for us in our
Autosleeper Excelsior
we got the smaller one from andrew james on the internet.
works well for the two of us.

Roger & Sheila.:Smile:::bigsmile:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Hi - vented top and bottom and sides - gets hot yeh but all comes out into RV and doesnt smell of what is cooking - bonus:thumb: - so turn heating down when cooking.
Have had one for 5+ years now.
Jaen x

The key word here is "RV" (if it can be called a word!).

Most TVs I have hired are large in size so space will not be such a premium.

We had a combi microwave in the last MH for over 5 years (a Devon Monaco van conversion) which was used extensively. Unfortunately I cannot remember the make nor the size but I do know that with reasonable venting it never overheated. What I can remember is that it was a reasonably low powered cheap model (manager's special) from somewhere like Curry's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back