LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Following on from previous threads regarding build quality on new high end motorhomes I was wondering what the owners thought about the quality of the newer vans compared with there older models.
What I have noticed is what used to be a cheaper older quality built van in Germany is now becoming an expensive buy. Is it that the Germans have realised that the newer models are not up to scratch.
The older Hymer 694 and the older S class Hymers could be bought in Germany for very little money a few years ago, but now are in short supply and making premium money.
I know there are a few members on fun that keep there older vans and sing the praises of them and I am happy to say am one of them, but is it through sentimentality that we run them or are they better built than the newer models.
The reason I ask this question is that a few weeks ago I was contacted by someone who wanted a similar van to what I have and having spoken to him many times since, I received a phone call from Majorca where he had found a German registered one and was on route back to the UK with it.
Some are obviously prepared to go to extreme lengths to find what they consider quality.
What are your views on these older slower behemoths that quite possibly will outlive the owners.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The older vans were converted with good quality timber and plywood. Using simple things like gravity drops to lock drawers meaning there is no sprung loaded catch to wear out or break. Using proper timber for cupboard doors and furniture means that screws stay put for years and even something comes adrift real wood means proper repairs can be made easily. IMO Modern motorhomes that rely heavily of chip board and moulded plastic just don't come close.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
They are certainly screwed to gether better and a lot less to go wrong :thumb: BUT there are a lot of tired wood/varnish ones around screaming for a good rub down and re varnish or better still French polish.I much prefer the modern laminated finish to the boards rather than varnished ply.They may well never wearout but a lot look very tired.:winky:Again a lot of the floral seatings are old hat but then again they last even though tired-No idea how long modern cream fabs will last :Eeek:but they do make a modern van look brighter :thumb:It all comes down to personal taste-on our van we thought of more practical things like heavy darker colours for saets etc and to my mind it has paid off simply because after 6 yrs the seating still looks new.
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I feel I can contribute a little to this thread.

I have a 1987 Hymer 660S and a 1996 Iveco Turbo Daily (intercooled) "shed built," "rough as old Shag tobacco," camper.

The Hymer is a completely different driving experience and needs a completely different "mind set" to enjoy it. Slow, gentle, get there when we do attitude.

And I believe there is an important, additional consideration to make when thinking of owning an old motorhome...

Can anyone fix them properly and economically?

Here in rural Portugal there are hundreds of small, owner run garages well used to working on the old Mercedes chassis as there are still so many of them in every day use. The general practice is to repair parts where possible rather than replace with new and at around €15 an hour for labour, it makes the running of such an ancient vehicle much more affordable.

I am about to have my rear brakes (shoes) looked at before my Christmas/New Year Tour and my man will look at the wear on the shoes and if too much he will reline them himself in house. It is what he is used to doing.

As for the interior looking old fashioned and "dark". GOOD.

I HATE modern designs with their "light, spacious interior (bullsh*t) style." I prefer my handles to stay on the drawers and cupboard doors rather than be found in my hand.

Content over Image for me... everytime...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I just knew you would be along on this one JJ :thumb:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Difficult subject, my experience is more with yachts, however a similar evolutionary process seems to have taken place.

There are still quality yachts being built but with modern materials and construction techniques, they appear lighter and possibly more flimsy but in fact are equally as durable as their predecessors and in many cases probably more so. Then there are those which are now being produced rather than built, they are designed down to a price and whilst they may use quality branded fittings, the actual design and construction has to be compromised, the differences show in lack of detail to hidden finishes
and poor quality materials. Though the manufacturers and the owners of these products will vociferously claim that modern production technology is far superior to traditional methods and this allows for lighter structures with equal strength. Emperor's new clothes indeed!

When we began looking at motor homes we looked at the second hand market and viewed quite a few. We then started looking at new motor homes and again looked in detail at various marques.

Rightly or wrongly, I deduced that with some manufacturers the progress to adopting modern materials and construction techniques has not been smooth or trouble free, it seems that there were low points where the quality of the product diminished significantly for a period.

We ended up buying a new Hymer, we found the finish to be attractive and the quality of the materials and construction very good, close examination shows attention to detail. I have no concerns about the longevity or durability, it compares well with the older S classes I have looked at although, the construction of the fittings is obviously lighter.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Difficult subject, my experience is more with yachts, however a similar evolutionary process seems to have taken place.

There are still quality yachts being built but with modern materials and construction techniques, they appear lighter and possibly more flimsy but in fact are equally as durable as their predecessors and in many cases probably more so. Then there are those which are now being produced rather than built, they are designed down to a price and whilst they may use quality branded fittings, the actual design and construction has to be compromised, the differences show in lack of detail to hidden finishes
and poor quality materials. Though the manufacturers and the owners of these products will vociferously claim that modern production technology is far superior to traditional methods and this allows for lighter structures with equal strength. Emperor's new clothes indeed!

When we began looking at motor homes we looked at the second hand market and viewed quite a few. We then started looking at new motor homes and again looked in detail at various marques.

Rightly or wrongly, I deduced that with some manufacturers the progress to adopting modern materials and construction techniques has not been smooth or trouble free, it seems that there were low points where the quality of the product diminished significantly for a period.

We ended up buying a new Hymer, we found the finish to be attractive and the quality of the materials and construction very good, close examination shows attention to detail. I have no concerns about the longevity or durability, it compares well with the older S classes I have looked at although, the construction of the fittings is obviously lighter.
Good points there. Having fooled around with boats in the past I agree with what you say. Its the new innovative materials that seem to cause the problems when first used.
Also new mechanical designs that very quickly require replacement and become expensive to fix.
I don't understand why MH builders have to put so many joins in the bodywork which inevitably lead to leaks. It is just as easy to make a one piece fibreglass wrap around roof as it is to put four or five sections up there with sealing strips that will require resealing. I sometimes wonder if they are made as a disposable item.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Following on from previous threads regarding build quality on new high end motorhomes I was wondering what the owners thought about the quality of the newer vans compared with there older models.
What I have noticed is what used to be a cheaper older quality built van in Germany is now becoming an expensive buy. Is it that the Germans have realised that the newer models are not up to scratch.
The older Hymer 694 and the older S class Hymers could be bought in Germany for very little money a few years ago, but now are in short supply and making premium money.
I know there are a few members on fun that keep there older vans and sing the praises of them and I am happy to say am one of them, but is it through sentimentality that we run them or are they better built than the newer models.
The reason I ask this question is that a few weeks ago I was contacted by someone who wanted a similar van to what I have and having spoken to him many times since, I received a phone call from Majorca where he had found a German registered one and was on route back to the UK with it.
Some are obviously prepared to go to extreme lengths to find what they consider quality.
What are your views on these older slower behemoths that quite possibly will outlive the owners.

My opinion....Mmmm..on the new motorhomes.. well the interior is certainly NOT.....they are not made of solid wood or even owt like... .what looks like a veneer 1/4"to 3/8" ply on styro foam on the outside wall ....think again....it is something like a 1/32" to 1/16" hardboard type material with a paper looking veneer glued on to the styro foam......fine for lightness..BUT nothing can be screwed to it:Doh:.
The insides are full of glitz, glam and fancy bits of none practical items... most of them you don't need unless you want to impress the neighbours:Doh:.......
The outside... most new motorhomes do look fine.......
My opinion a lot of unnecessary items could be removed...which would reduce the weight...

On our motorhome it had three places for a TV's.....two fitted to very heavy mechanism that holds the TV,.. bedroom,... midpoint above the fridge & freezer and one above the dash board that drops down...the motorhome is only 7.4m:Doh:..... ......these are fine on a 12m (40') 10 ton RV....not on a euro van...you only watch one tv.............
I took the others out

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I traded a G reg A class Pilote for an 02 Autotrail C I Carioca, there is no comparison between the two, the Pilote was of a much sturdier build, Real wood, still had the original lino, ceramic tiles on the work bench, (a Pilote thing by all accounts)

But ! no power steering, and that god awful Flaying around, Knuckle busting Gear Stick:ROFLMAO:

Win Some Lose Some:Doh:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
My opinion....Mmmm..on the new motorhomes.. well the interior is certainly NOT.....they are not made of solid wood or even owt like... .what looks like a veneer 1/4"to 3/8" ply on styro foam on the outside wall ....think again....it is something like a 1/32" to 1/16" hardboard type material with a paper looking veneer glued on to the styro foam......fine for lightness..BUT nothing can be screwed to it:Doh:.
The insides are full of glitz, glam and fancy bits of none practical items... most of them you don't need unless you want to impress the neighbours:Doh:.......
The outside... most new motorhomes do look fine.......
My opinion a lot of unnecessary items could be removed...which would reduce the weight...

On our motorhome it had three places for a TV's.....two fitted to very heavy mechanism that holds the TV,.. bedroom,... midpoint above the fridge & freezer and one above the dash board that drops down...the motorhome is only 7.4m:Doh:..... ......these are fine on a 12m (40') 10 ton RV....not on a euro van...you only watch one tv.............
I took the others out

There is one thing I will say about buying a new Motorhome....You / we do....state what you / we want, and they build to yours / our requirements ...to a limit....and of course you are on a new vehicle engine and chassis...
and 3 to 5 years warranty
Buying a older Motorhome is a compromise ...
You buy what is on the market to as close to what you want...
OK..... all the faults on some may be ironed out when you get it..BUT they may also be lot what other people have traded there van in for because of all the problems they have had...yes on some you may get 6 months or even 12 months of some kind of warranty

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Further to my last post I should say that I like the finish on the new boarding:Smile: just for information boards are now only 3 mm (1/8TH INS) and furniture board's are either 12 mm or 18 mm lightweight board's
I don't think that it comes down to materials so much, more down to the workforce that simply do not have or need the skills that were required yrs ago.Each person knows how to do a small portion of work and basically does not care if it's right or wrong ::bigsmile:
Terry

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Motorhome or shed

The bodywork and interior of my 1994 Hymer is great and as the layout is right for us why change. It is all of a quality which can be worked with. However the Peugeot gear box on the Fiat base is now obsolete and it becomes increasingly difficult to get replacements. The thousands of base Ducatos and Relays of that era are mostly long gone and scrap yards as a source of spares are being replaced by metal recyclers who break everytbing down to base materials and are no longer interested in saving useable parts. A recent problem with my differential meant the garage had to get a new part manufactured in a local machine shop. I am happy driving my van for a few hours a day at 80 - 90 km p h but it does need to keep moving. I am aloud to stay on this aire for 2 nights only. I can not allow the van to turn into a shed. I do miss my shed though.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
A very interesting subject and worthy of many replies.
As the owner of 11 motorhomes I can honestly state quality is now just a word spread about in manufacturers advertising. My present van is fine when it comes to workmanship but every problem I have encountered has been with the fittings, catches, seals, windows etc. I think we have now finished with quality and only have something that is manufactured to a price tthat's gives maximum profit. Repairs are now a thing of the past and a fitter only needs how to replace something, simple.
A typical example is my visit to my Renault dealer last week for a rear axle replacement recall on my Master van self build. The technician found that two wires had been chewed through by a rodent and required repair. The said wires were behind the engine and noticeable from above. I asked for a price and the shock of £200 appeared silly. After picking myself up I asked why the high price and the reply was a new harness was required to that area, leave it I said. I then visited a very long standing Auto Electrician who just laughed and did the job for £8, no need for a harness. As he said dealerships were making his business brisk as most modern fitters only trained in replacement and not repair.
This is all part of our throw away culture which has caused goods to only last a few years.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I have recently joined this forum and currently hoping to make the change from a caravan to MH. Having asked snowbirds advice I have looked at mobile.de and found a few older Hymers at a price within my projected budget (which is not very much!!) I have compared them with similar vehicles for sale in the UK and they seem to compare favourably on price even taking travel to Germany into account.

In terms of build quality, from what I have read, Hymer do seem to beat our caravan hands down. The caravan walls have no inner framework at all. The inner wall insulation is 3/4 inch jablite (styrene) which is glued to the ally outer wall and there are small metal plates glued to the inside of the jablite. The securing screws for the caravan fixtures and fittings are screwed into these metal plates so the caravan is held together by glue and self tappers into styrene foam. I know this because I was daft enough to tackle the job of removing damp from one side of the van.

Anyway, when I have sold my caravan and my beautiful Range Rover I will be off to Germany in search of a late 1980s/early 1990s Hymer 600s or 654s.

Incidently, I have to thank the members of the forum for the help and advise so far.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Typically is the old school auto electrician. I was quoted silly money to replace the startermotor and alternator on my old American Tiffin. After I picked myself up from the floor I contacted one of the old school auto electricians in Stoke who rebuilt the pair for around £50.
The mechanic I use is of the old school with low overheads and does a good job for sensible money. Not only that he is one of the few that is prepared to tackle older vehicles and obscure oddball jobs which I regularly give him, ie fitting extra fuel tanks etc.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Re Old Hymers versus New Hymers

Hi all.

As a 99 model, does it come into the "old" category? I think so, but not in the same "old" category as the solid wood MHs that are referred to. Saying that though, our E690 (same age as Jim & Sian's B544) hasn't suffered any interior or exterior defects, other than one, which according to Peter Hambilton, was the result of a design fault with certain "E" and "S" class models, with the integrated bike racks. He and his team carried out the essential repair, and fitted a modification to prevent the problem appearing again. Also, we've had roof seals replaced as part of ongoing maintenance, due to ageing, and not because there was a problem.

This is our first MH, and after seven of it's thirteen years of ownership, we are very pleased with "her".
Everyone who has been in her, comments on the superb layout, and two owners of much newer "S" class Hymers commented on the better build quality, compared to their MHs.
I once read that after the year 2000, Hymer began to lose their way, when it came to build quality. The "PUAL" wall and roof construction used since around 1997, (which is impervious to water), is certainly a great achievement on the shell build quality. Interior fixtures and fittings appear to let the newer Hymers down.

Old, and loving her. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi all.

As a 99 model, does it come into the "old" category? I think so, but not in the same "old" category as the solid wood MHs that are referred to. Saying that though, our E690 (same age as Jim & Sian's B544) hasn't suffered any interior or exterior defects, other than one, which according to Peter Hambilton, was the result of a design fault with certain "E" and "S" class models, with the integrated bike racks. He and his team carried out the essential repair, and fitted a modification to prevent the problem appearing again. Also, we've had roof seals replaced as part of ongoing maintenance, due to ageing, and not because there was a problem.

This is our first MH, and after seven of it's thirteen years of ownership, we are very pleased with "her".
Everyone who has been in her, comments on the superb layout, and two owners of much newer "S" class Hymers commented on the better build quality, compared to their MHs.
I once read that after the year 2000, Hymer began to lose their way, when it came to build quality. [HI]The "PUAL" wall and roof construction used since around 1997, (which is impervious to water),[/HI] is certainly a great achievement on the shell build quality. Interior fixtures and fittings appear to let the newer Hymers down.

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.

Hi Jock and Rita... I hope you are both well... :thumb:

I know how everybody hates a "smarty pants" and I risk that hate now by saying that I believe the "PUAL" wall construction material used by Hymer has been around since 1976... :Blush:

Link Removed

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi all.

I once read that after the year 2000, Hymer began to lose their way, when it came to build quality. The "PUAL" wall and roof construction used since around 1997, (which is impervious to water), is certainly a great achievement on the shell build quality. Interior fixtures and fittings appear to let the newer Hymers down.

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.
Hi, Jock&Rita, We have recently bought an S520 Yr 2000, with the built-in cycle rack, can you tell me the problem with the rack? and also what is the repair? is it something I can do or is it down to the pro's.
thanks in advance,
Cheers,Dave:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock and Rita... I hope you are both well... :thumb:

I know how everybody hates a "smarty pants" and I risk that hate now by saying that I believe the "PUAL" wall construction material used by Hymer has been around since 1976... :Blush:

Link Removed

Hi JJ,

We are both well thanks, and hope the same applies to your good self. :thumb:

Hey, what's one digit in the wrong place and one upside down between friends, eh? :roflmto:

davejen said:
Hi, Jock&Rita, We have recently bought an S520 Yr 2000, with the built-in cycle rack, can you tell me the problem with the rack? and also what is the repair? is it something I can do or is it down to the pro's.
thanks in advance,
Cheers,Dave
Hi Dave,

I don't want to hijack Dave's (Snowbird's) thread, but the problem I refer too, tends to cause the rotting away of the wooden outer floor underneath, as it meets the rear wall, at the end of the chassis, and it's usually the corners that go first. I consider it to be a professional job, and in our case, the new materials only cost £45, but the labour costs at Peter Hambilton's ran in excess of £500. :Eeek: That said, he and his team did a smashing job.
If you want to know more, please PM me, and I'll oblige.

BTW, I spotted an E650 on a trade stand at one of the Warner shows this year. I poked around underneath at the rear, and it was rotten at the rear corners. A few months later, we were parked up to a young couple who had bought the very same MH from the very same trader. They were so pleased, as it was their pride and joy, but purchased without a warranty to keep costs down. I didn't have the heart to tell them what I had found on their MH, on that very weekend they purchased it at the same show. :Sad::Sad::Sad:

BTW, before posting this, I've just checked your profile, and pleased to know that the young couple wasn't you and Jen. Phew. :Smile:

Cheers,

Jock.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi JJ,

We are both well thanks, and hope the same applies to your good self. :thumb:

Hey, what's one digit in the wrong place and one upside down between friends, eh? :roflmto:

Hi Dave,

I don't want to hijack Dave's (Snowbird's) thread, but the problem I refer too, tends to cause the rotting away of the wooden outer floor underneath, as it meets the rear wall, at the end of the chassis, and it's usually the corners that go first. I consider it to be a professional job, and in our case, the new materials only cost £45, but the labour costs at Peter Hambilton's ran in excess of £500. :Eeek: That said, he and his team did a smashing job.
If you want to know more, please PM me, and I'll oblige.

BTW, I spotted an E650 on a trade stand at one of the Warner shows this year. I poked around underneath at the rear, and it was rotten at the rear corners. A few months later, we were parked up to a young couple who had bought the very same MH from the very same trader. They were so pleased, as it was their pride and joy, but purchased without a warranty to keep costs down. I didn't have the heart to tell them what I had found on their MH, on that very weekend they purchased it at the same show. :Sad::Sad::Sad:

BTW, before posting this, I've just checked your profile, and pleased to know that the young couple wasn't you and Jen. Phew. :Smile:

Cheers,

Jock.

Hi, Jock, thanks for the info, will go to van tomorrow and check underneath, we got 3 mths warranty with it so if there's a problem will be in touch with supplier. Will let you know when we know . Thanks again,
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just goes to show, a little shared information can save you an awful lot of money, not to mention the aggravation and stress it can save.
Thanks for that info Jock :thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi, Jock, thanks for the info, will go to van tomorrow and check underneath, we got 3 mths warranty with it so if there's a problem will be in touch with supplier. Will let you know when we know . Thanks again,
Cheers, Dave:thumb:
Thanks Dave.

Yes, I'd be interested to know how you get on please. :thumb:

Snowbird said:
Just goes to show, a little shared information can save you an awful lot of money, not to mention the aggravation and stress it can save.
Thanks for that info Jock undefined
No problems Dave.

It is such a common fault, that as soon as I mentioned the model number to Peter Hambilton, he knew straight away what the problem might be. He has repaired that many "E" and "S" classes of the same era, with the same fault. I consider him to be the best independent Hymer engineer in Britain, and that's probably why his books are always full, taking months to get an appointment. Two former Hymer agent's workshop staff, didn't have a clue about the problem, when contacted, and yet Peter Hambilton knew. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Hi all.

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.

Hi Jock and Rita,

I am new to the forum and about to convert from a caravan to a motorhome. We are hoping to buy an early 1990ish Hymer 654S or 600S from Germany and wondered if the fault you mention is likely to effect a van of that age. Any other tips on what to look out for would also be much appreciated

thank you in advance
Bill & Sue.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock and Rita,

I am new to the forum and about to convert from a caravan to a motorhome. We are hoping to buy an early 1990ish Hymer 654S or 600S from Germany and wondered if the fault you mention is likely to effect a van of that age. Any other tips on what to look out for would also be much appreciated

thank you in advance
Bill & Sue.
Hi Bill & Sue.

Please don't be too alarmed by my previous posts. The problem I refer to, is only related to those "E" and "S" class Hymers, with the built in bike rack, that folds out from the rear wall. They range roughly, from around 1995 to about 2000. According to Peter Hambilton, Hymer were well aware of the design fault, but chose to deny that there was a problem.
Hymer AG never did respond to 2 x emails from me reference the problem, but they responded immediately to my email booking in for a service at their HQ workshops in Bad Waldsee. :Doh: And yet, all my emails were received by the same service department. :Angry:

As for other tips on what to look out for, basically you are looking for a used, but not abused model. Also, one that has been stood unused for some time, may well have more problems than one that is still in current use. Check out the front and rear roof seals if you can. The state of the interior roof lining, will be a good clue, if you cannot get onto the roof area. Buy a decent damp test meter, and check every nook and cranny, but bear in mind that some of these meters are very sensitive, ie, applying the probes to the palm of the hand, will send the needle off the scale. :winky:

Righty Ho, back on topic, ie, Old Hymers v New

Cheers for now,

Jock.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Bill, The way I see it you are looking at the older S class with the one piece fibreglass roof. That being the case, unless someone has drilled into the roof to fit solar panels, the only problem you are likely to encounter on the roof is vents that need re sealing.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Hi Bill & Sue.

Please don't be too alarmed by my previous posts. The problem I refer to, is only related to those "E" and "S" class Hymers, with the built in bike rack, that folds out from the rear wall. They range roughly, from around 1995 to about 2000. According to Peter Hambilton, Hymer were well aware of the design fault, but chose to deny that there was a problem.
Hymer AG never did respond to 2 x emails from me reference the problem, but they responded immediately to my email booking in for a service at their HQ workshops in Bad Waldsee. :Doh: And yet, all my emails were received by the same service department. :Angry:

As for other tips on what to look out for, basically you are looking for a used, but not abused model. Also, one that has been stood unused for some time, may well have more problems than one that is still in current use. Check out the front and rear roof seals if you can. The state of the interior roof lining, will be a good clue, if you cannot get onto the roof area. Buy a decent damp test meter, and check every nook and cranny, but bear in mind that some of these meters are very sensitive, ie, applying the probes to the palm of the hand, will send the needle off the scale. :winky:

Righty Ho, back on topic, ie, Old Hymers v New

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Hi Jock, Thank you for the tips. Hadn't thought about if the van had been standing for a while. I have had some tips from Dave (snowbird) as well so should be well prepared. I do have a decent damp meter and learned the hard way about using it even when buying from a trusted dealer. Made that mistake when I bought our current caravan!:Doh:
Anyway, thanks again, all the best
Bill

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Hi Bill, The way I see it you are looking at the older S class with the one piece fibreglass roof. That being the case, unless someone has drilled into the roof to fit solar panels, the only problem you are likely to encounter on the roof is vents that need re sealing.

Thanks Dave, This really is a great forum. It is good to get the info before parting with any money :Smile: One of the vans I have seen has a solar panel, which I thought would be very useful so that will be something else to look at very carefully. I really do not want to go down the road of clearing out damp again. I don't mind lesser works but major jobs I want to avoid. I want the MH out on the open road, not in my back garden being repaired!

cheers
Bill

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There are many things that have to be taken into consideration when choosing a motorhome, be it new or old.
Firstly..If you are not able to do small jobs yourself and rely on a main agent to do all your repairs and maintenance this can prove costly with an old van. If on the other hand you are capable and as I do enjoy tinkering, then this adds another dimension to your hobby.
Although I love to travel in the van, there is hardly a day goes bye that at some point am not tinkering with something in there.
One thing with older quality built vans is that at least you can work on them. The new vans today will not allow this as everything is electronic and its easy for the untrained to cause more problems than they started with.
Older "agricultural" style engines can be worked on without specialist tools by anyone that owns a bike spanner and bed spanner and parts are available on most street corners.
Traditional materials were used in them, many passed on from boat and coach builders who knew there trade and not some new and untried and untested material that claims to be lighter and stronger.
There is a very important thing to remember by anyone thinking of purchasing an older quality van, and that is resale value. Most if not all quality built vans if looked after will still be worth what you paid for them when you do decide to sell. Many of the older Sclass Hymers are making more money now than they were 5 years ago. Personally I have never lost a penny on all the vans I have owned over the years. If I had bought new from a dealer, I dread to think how much I would have lost. OK I would have had some security from the dealer, but then again, it would depend on what dealer I used as to the quality of the guarantee. As in most things in life, its horses for courses. Enjoy what you have and use it as it was intended, travelling not sitting in front of the house looking pretty.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
All understood and appreciated Dave, I have rebuilt the entire offside inner wall of our Swift Challenger caravan due to damp, repaired the outside of the body where we had alluminium rot and have replaced piezio with electronic igniters ( having already repaired the piezio ones :Smile:) I used to be a diesel mechanic so I should be okay on the engine and running gear.
The company I worked for was a small family firm and the 'old man', the real boss, taught me an awful lot about 'fixing' things and how to make tools and some components. That said, I would still rather be out on the open road (driving on the right:winky:) than working on the vehicle.
I come from a time of make do and mend and still tend to practice that philosophy. Sorting out problems on the go does not really bother me either, there always seems to be something to do while you are away!

Sheepskin

Free Member
Oct 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
on Snowbirds advice, i bought an RMB 670 Silver Star. I was the guy in Majorca !!

My reasoning is that i had set a budget of £10,000 to purchase, now in the UK for £10,000 you simply do not get much, so i felt it was worth looking further afield to Germany i was after an RMB, or S Klasse Hymer or FFB Tabbert old school but quality.

I bought my RMB after some ruthless haggling !!!! for 12500 Euros or £10204 pounds, so over budget from the start !!! that included the ticket from Palma to Barcelona which the previous owner paid for.

I took a week off work and treated the return as a holiday staying on Aires all the way home, my costs were 180 euros for Diesel and £103 for Dieppe to Newhaven, that was it apart from my food which i would have had in the UK anyway.

Now i am pretty good with my hands, so i have set a budget of £1000 for any repairs or upgrades. So far i have spent £700 but that includes 3 new skylight hatches, 2 new leisure batteries, and a 100w Solar System with MPPT controller, underseal, checker plate, etc, etc

I think the key is to be able to do most of the work yourself, because motorhome dealer labour rates at 50 to 70 per hour are going to hurt. So far i have spent 16 hours, well that would be at £60 per hour £960 !!! it soon mounts up. The whole project will probably be 100 hours plus, so £6000 for labour alone !!!!

the RMB like the old Hymers, is built on a Mercedes truck chassis that do not really rot, with motors and gearboxes that can do 500K without problems, the actual RMB body is seriously substantial, so no problems there.

My theory is that as long as you make certain the roof is all sealed up watertight, with all these old vans you should be fine.It is a lot of van, for not a lot of money

Depreciation and dealer workshop rates are the real killer, Buy a £50K motorhome today and in 10 years time it will be worth £20K if you are lucky. So £30k loss over 10 years or £3k a year, or £60 per week. That is a lot of money. Then because it is new you are locked into main dealer service to maintain the warranty. My last van was a Knaus 630 Traveller, i bought in Germany for £8000 had 3 great years out of it, and sold for £12000, i then decided to go sailing in the Med for 3 years used this money and bought a Colvic Victor 41ft "Graveyard" yacht in Turkey, for £10,000 spent the other £2000 on the yacht and a lot of elbow grease !!!! lived on the yacht for 3 years visited nearly all the Greek isles, the Black sea, Lebanon, Israel, the Turkish coast and sold for £25,000.

The key is to try and buy right! like a dealer would

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back