RV too wide ! (1 Viewer)

J

jannie

Deleted User
Oh boy! Please help peeps. Took the RV to be registered at our local DVLA today and "it's tooooo wide" So we haven't used her yet. Guess you've all had the same prob? Hopefully. Talking about removing the wheel arch panels!!! What did you do?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ouch.... What RV is it? Wide by how much? and exactly how did they measure it?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Definitely need more info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

jannie

Deleted User
RV too wide

Ouch.... What RV is it? Wide by how much? and exactly how did they measure it?[/QUOTE
Hi Jim, It's a common Sunseeker Vovager, Gulfstream - seen loads on our little ol roads. They measured rear wheel arch to wheel arch and it is 102" When we measured her in the U.S. we measured the body width - 100" and we have found the Gulfstream spec since and it says it is 100".

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
john and sandy white had the same problem, but it has been sorted now, why not send him a pm and ask him if he has any advice he is a very knowledgable man:Smile:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Which DVLA office did you use Jannie?

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
hi Jannie

Don't delay - get in touch with Les and Jayne Botham of Ridgeset RV's - telephone number 01246 292804.

They are in direct contact with the RV Dealers Association - a dealers club set up to deal with exactly this situation.

Jayne from Destination RV is the Chair woman and is the leading Authority in the Country on the subject. Telephone: 01980 635063

Don't delay one moment - do it NOW! (well, at least wait until the morning)

OP
OP
J

jannie

Deleted User
RV too wide

We used the Norwich Office, in Norfolk. Does it make a difference?

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
We used the Norwich Office, in Norfolk. Does it make a difference?

Very much so I'm afraid.

We took RVs to Worcester DVLA where they insisted on measuring using a B&Q type tape measure which was flapping in the breeze (very accurate......not). They measured overwidth and we ended up taking off awnings.

Subsequent RVs we registered by post at Oxford DVLA (you can't even take a car into the centre of Oxford let alone a motorhome)...........registration docs arrived in the post by return, they didn't even look at them!

Do as Dick says and contact Les or Jayne - they know all about registering newly imported American RVs :winky:

OP
OP
J

jannie

Deleted User
Very much so I'm afraid.

We took RVs to Worcester DVLA where they insisted on measuring using a B&Q type tape measure which was flapping in the breeze (very accurate......not). They measured overwidth and we ended up taking off awnings.

Subsequent RVs we registered by post at Oxford DVLA (you can't even take a car into the centre of Oxford let alone a motorhome)...........registration docs arrived in the post by return, they didn't even look at them!

Do as Dick says and contact Les or Jayne - they know all about registering newly imported American RVs :winky:

Thanx for that. We unfortunately cannot change the DVLA office as the chassis No is now registered with Norwich, but I am interested in knowing what to do next. Who knows, maybe we CAN change offices regardless.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Very much so I'm afraid.

Hang on a mo ( Sorry Dick no pun intended) I thought the RVDA had agreed with the DVLA that awnings, awning toppers,handles,vents were to be treated as accessories so didn't count when measured..........thought it was body side to body side.

But then again nothing has ever been seen in writing well only within the American RV Magazine forum:whistle:

Paul (UK-RV) Now do you see why I still need to collect that evidence I've mentioned? :winky:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
john and sandy white had the same problem, but it has been sorted now, why not send him a pm and ask him if he has any advice he is a very knowledgable man:Smile:

:Eeek: When we took our Newmar to the DVLA in Sheffield in 2006 to be measured. They refused registration because it was on the over-sized list and they measured it as being over-sized. :whatthe:

However. When I went back in 2007. They just accepted the forms that I had filled in with all the measurements. Five days later my registration arrived in the post.

I was led to believe that the SMMT list that was used by DVLA had been chucked out of the window and was now NOT being used in the registration criteria.
RVDA had been negotiating with the DVLA to allow the continuing registration of US RV's. The ONUS of measuring and declaration of such RV's was to be put on the person registering.

That is what I did. :winky:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Jannie

The following Voyagers have ALL been ACCEPTED as UK Legal. THE RVDA can expand further.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C288 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8351
Year:
Base: Ford V10 / Chevrolet V8 6.8
Dimensions: 11176 x 2540 x 3658 (L/W/H)
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
European Type Approval No:
Group/Manufacturer:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C152 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8295 3-slides
Year:
Dimensions: 9347 x 2540 x 3658 (L/W/H)
DVLA Checked: Checked 27/04/06
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C287 Gulf Stream Sun Sport 8389
Year:
Base: Workhorse 8.1
Dimensions: 11786 x 2540 x 3658 (L/W/H)
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C286 Gulf Stream Sun Sport 8388
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C285 Gulf Stream Sun Sport 8379 3-slides
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C284 Gulf Stream Sun Sport 8378
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C153 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8357 3-slides
Year:
Dimensions: 10870 x 2540 x 3658 (L/W/H)
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C289 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8368
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C290 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8377
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C291 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8378
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C154 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8379 3-slides
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C292 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8388
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C293 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8389
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C155 Gulf Stream Vista Mini 1-slide
Year:
Base: Mercedes Sprinter Chassis Cab
Dimensions: 7265 x 2302 x 3225 (L/W/H)
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C283 Gulf Stream Sun Sport 8377
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C282 Gulf Stream Sun Sport 8368

Unfortunately with an outfit as big and diverse as the DVLA, there is always going to be the case of somebody not totally 'au-fait' with the current situation - especially if they are prone to be a little on the 'jobsworth' side.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Dick,

Have you got a similar list of Fleetwood Discovery RV's that I could have?

Just before the SMMT list was scrapped the Fleetwood Discovery 39S was in the approved side otherwise I wouldn't have bought one.

You will make me a very happy bunny if you can supply me with a list of already registered Discoveries..........Or should I camp outside Itchy Feet and wait for ALL the ones he's currently selling to pull out of the gates?

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Mick and Pat

You will make me a very happy bunny if you can supply me with a list of already registered Discoveries..........Or should I camp outside Itchy Feet and wait for ALL the ones he's currently selling to pull out of the gates?
HMMMMMM Miaow would that be the 40' ones???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards Pat

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
RVDA List:-

C321 Fleetwood Discovery 35H
Year:
Base: Freightliner XC / Cat 7.2
Dimensions: 10770 x 2591 x 3861 (L/W/H)
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C322 Fleetwood Discovery 39C
Year:
Dimensions: 11887 x 2591 x 3861 (L/W/H)
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C323 Fleetwood Discovery 39J
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C324 Fleetwood Discovery 39L
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C325 Fleetwood Discovery 39S
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

C326 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
Year:
DVLA Checked:
Action:
NCC Approved:
Group/Manufacturer:

SMMT List:-

C321FleetwoodDiscovery 35HFreightliner XC / Cat 7.2 10770 2530 3861
C322FleetwoodDiscovery 39CFreightliner XC / Cat 7.2 11887 2530 3861
C323FleetwoodDiscovery 39JFreightliner XC / Cat 7.2 11887 2530 3861
C324FleetwoodDiscovery 39LFreightliner XC / Cat 7.2 11887 2530 3861
C325FleetwoodDiscovery 39SFreightliner XC / Cat 7.2 11887 2530 3861
C326FleetwoodDiscovery 39VFreightliner XC / Cat 7.2 11887 2530 3861

Last edited:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Thanks John for that information, ideally what I would like are the registered numbers of a few Fleetwood Discovery RV's, there would be NO WAY the DVLA registration department could argue against those whereas the SMMT listed was scrapped and they could argue that it was scrapped because it wasn't correct.

Pat ( ruffingitsmoothly ) Errrrrrr which ones are those :Confused:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Sad: I doubt if you would get people publishing the Reg Number Mick. Most blank the plates to perhaps stop people cloning them or whatever. BTW. The 40 ft Discoverys are OVER 40ft. :Eeek:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi MickNPat

I took the list that I displayed off of the RVDA website - and before anybody pours heaps of abuse on my head - I really know very little more than that.

What I do know is that every single case of self-certification that I have heard of in the last six months has worked in our favour BUT that certainly does not mean that I have heard of every single import - probably about 1 in 3 of imports.

What I do know has been turned over on here time and time again BUT at the risk of being neutered, I will repeat it.

The reason that most RV's were turned down was based on overwide or over long readings.

I think the RVDA has turned the tables now so that wheel arch flairs and foreward and rearward facing bumpers are considered as safety gear AND THEREFORE DO NOT COUNT IN THE measurement tables. I say this for several reasons:

The bumpers are safety gear - I think that is obvious.

The wheel arch flairs are there for several reasons:

To hold in as much 'spray' water as possible coming off the tyres in wet weather.
To hold in as much road debris as possible (by spreading the width of the catchment areas - the flairs) such as stones etc., etc.,
To give some 'small' protection against a vehicle brushing up against the unprotected tyre at speed and therefore blowing it wide open.

That is why it has been "decided" time and time again by DVLA that they will measure every new model coming into the Country - unless that model has already been measured and approved and that measurement will be taken from the 'plane' of the exterior vertical wall on one side of the vehicle - to the 'plane' of the exterior vertical wall on the other side of the vehicle - or they will accept the measurements given by 'Self-Certification' as several people on here have already proved beyond doubt.

I have now retreated to my foxhole complete with tin-hat because even though I said that this info is what I believe to be correct there are worried owners out there who are going to demand that I show it written in blood on vellum - and of course, I can't.

As far as the Fleetwoods are concerned - I really do suggest you pick up the phone and speak either to TravelWorld, or Eric at Itchyfeet or Jayne at Destination RV. I haven't yet found any of them to be anything other than normal human-beings (irrespective of what 'UKRV' used to say) - I haven't heard from him lately so I wonder if he has gone back to the States (please?)

MrGorsky

Free Member
Feb 22, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Sorry to drag up an ooold thread, and also to dive in with this as my first post, but I've been Googling this width issue and there doesn't seem to be much mentioned after about 2008-9 anywhere...

Can anyone point me in the direction of any up to date information about this? Most of the local DVLA offices closed in 2013, so who now does IVA inspections? And are they as reliable, or do they turn blind eyes?

Anyhoo, I ask because I was looking at importing privately a Fleetwood Bounder from about 2005, the brochure says they're 102 inches wide, which of course is too wide for registereing (just), but I see them for sale in the UK already registered so there must be a way to do it!

I am very confused, and would appreciate any advice or pointers to further reading.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
How do the DVLA offices test for turning circle, as under EU law that effectively supercedes unacceptable length & overhang?

Dave

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They don't.
Im led to believe DVSA (ex D.f.T vosa ect) now all rolled into one are responsible for such testing DVLA is just a licencing Authority

Using an add-on to AutoCAD called AutoTrack

Also by the UN/ECE Regulation 36 test? claiming this test gives results that seem to say we comply
rather than when measured by the European Directive 96/53/EC. testing standard that we say is flawed giving incorrect figures
Our turning circle meters are slightly bigger than EU Meters;)
Interested to know in what context you ask

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back