Fiat gearbox (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Has anyone else had problems with fiat gearboxes on the new Ducato we had ours replaced after a tapping noise we had only done 800 miles from new :Blush:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Has anyone else had problems with fiat gearboxes on the new Ducato we had ours replaced after a tapping noise we had only done 800 miles from new :Blush:

Is it an X250 euroV please. I have done 5000 miles on mine since March and i have not noticed anything so far.

Was it an obvious tapping noise?

OP
OP
Mart grump
Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ours is a Ducato 42 multijet 2.3 The noise could only be heard from outside no problem with driving . Adams moray who replaced the gearbox said they had seen this before with fiat Ducato

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can you please say what motorhome you have and the registration year, this is a bit concerning to say the least!!! :Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry to hear of your woes.. Glad your dealer managed to sort it out ok for you and your back on the road :thumb:

BUT....

May I just offer a word to others about such problems .. DONT PANIC ! :winky: ..........

Somewhat hard to explain but please stay with me !!

One of the most reliable motorcycles Honda ever made is the Blackbird

Yet if someone asks me ( as they do ! ) what are common problems I can list a fair few..
They are not ACTUALLY common problems, merely problems that I see a lot of.

So what is the difference then ?

Stepping back and putting it all in perspective, the 'common' problems are really quite rare.. It is only that I deal with the bikes daily and in a world wide environment that I see the issues regularly. In reality, with lord knows how many tens of thousands of the bikes out there ( built from 1996 to 2008 and a VERY popular model ) the problems are quite few and far between

To put as simply as possible, while the poor chap who had to replace the gearbox may consider it a common problem, his view will be very skewed, as the failure rate is probably less than 1 in 25,000 vans ( same gearbox on MANY panel vans don't forget, and they are a VERY popular chassis all over the world )

And he does not get to see all the thousands of vans that do NOT have a problem with the gear box.. Why should he ! No one would take a perfectly working vehicle to a dealer and moan there is nothing wrong with it ::bigsmile:

All I am saying is folk should not panic or be overly concerned..
As the old saying goes, one swallow does not make a spring.

OP
OP
Mart grump
Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a swift kontiki 669 on a 12 plate . I heard the noise when I was moving our motorhome I have also spoken to our local fiat dealer they told me they have had a large number of these cases in the commercial sector

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The 669 is a massive twin rear axle van do they make that with a 2.3 and not fit the 3,0 litre?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I took the time earlier today to check out a few of the forums that the white van boys use just in case..

Not a single mention..

On the other hand, Richard ( Scotties on here ) has just had his gearbox replaced on his transit based 58 plate low transit based Deffleth due to a rather nasty leak.. Again, a couple of mentions but in the over all scheme of things.. ??? Not common

As I said, someone who does the work gets a rather skewed view..

There are maybe 10,000 users on here, an awful lot have the same base chassis.. Apart from the judder thing how many have had gearbox failures ?

There was a batch of 3000 gearboxes that had a first motion shaft problem but that was a few years ago
What HAS come to light from my searches is that some vans had gearbox bolts left loose from the factory...

Now me being always massively sussy about what ANY dealer says, I am wondering if that was what your problem was and it caused wear to the input shaft which combined would account for a nasty clicking noise.. And NO dealer would admit to finding loose gear to bell housing bolts on an almost new vehicle !!

I stand on my original premiss :Smile:

Perhaps the dealer is telling you it is common to try to make you feel better about it, and not feel you have been bang unlucky ?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
What HAS come to light from my searches is that some vans had gearbox bolts left loose from the factory...

This was the subject of a Fiat recall. I had my van checked at a local truck garage but the gearbox bolts were secure.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks for the info Maz :thumb: ( your input kinda proves I have actually been checking rather than just typing and bullplopping !! LOL !!! )

OP
OP
Mart grump
Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for the info on geerboxs really appreciated ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Go online and look at Fiat Ducato Reviews, not good reading but it seems the norm for all modern vehicles. All far to technical. Mine has not even got a cat. Simpler the better.

WORRY IS LIKE A ROCKING HORSE.. IT GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO DO BUT GETS YOU NOWHERE.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back