Nov 6, 2012
Stockport
Funster No
MH
auto trail cheyenne 860d
Exp
since 2012
Hi all
Going on a ferry next year to either France or Spain, problem is not sure how you go on with a dog, will she have to stop in the motorhome if so France not to bad but Spain will be at leased 24hrs.
How do i go on ?.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Suggest you pay the extra & go through the Tunnel :thumb:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Hopefully someone will be able to advise you about using Ferries, all I can say ( and I don't mean to sound holyer than thou on this) is that I would have reservations about leaving my dog in the Van on a ferry.
I did go to Guernsey a couple of years ago with our friends and they had to leave their dog in the hold, it was very hot down there & I felt most uncomfortable about it all. I believe you can book a dog friendly cabin ( at a price !) on the ferries to Spain but I don't know any details.
If you choose France then we did the Tunnel, 35 mins & the dog stays with you in the Van, much better & peace of mind in my opinion.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we always do the short crossing, and our dogs fine we watched her on the last trip back because our van was outside, did not take her long to spot us. :winky::ROFLMAO:

Our next crossing is on the tunnel using Tesco Points. :thumb:

If you do the long crossing its either putting them in the kennels on board or if you use Brittany Ferries they have some pet friendly cabins, but you need to book early because they are limited numbers, and soon get taken. :Smile: Bob.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would not leave a dog in the van on the car deck. Apart from being unpleasant, noisy, hot in the summer and the unfamiliar movement, I have been told if there is a fire alarm there is some sort of automatic system that floods the car deck with something (possibly CO2) which could suffocate your dog (may not be true but I wouldn't risk it).
The tunnel every time for us, and if we really wanted the long crossing to Spain, we would have a dog friendly cabin, however its much nicer to drive through France and the costs are comparable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
If you go to France the dog stays in the vehicle as i believe the longest journey is no longer than 3.5 hrs. If you go to Spain you will have no alternative to either purchase a kennel (you are allowed a number of visits to tend to your dog's needs) or a 'dog friendly' cabin. The visits to the kennels are organised by the purser & all owners go down together. Not good as you may have upto 50 dogs all being let out (on leads) together.
The 'dog friendly' cabin, (a large 4 berth with a wipe clean floor) you can only lead your dog to & from the cabin to the dog exercise area. All other areas of the ship are out of bounds to your dog. In our experience the extra cost of the 'dog friendly' cabin is by far the best option as our dog was much more relaxed being with us, ete her food & was willing to spend a penny in the exercise area. We have also experienced the tunnel & this is by far the best option as no one has to leave the vehicle & your dog doesn't blink an eye!Hope this helps.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Our dog has gone to the big doggy home in the sky. We never bought a passport for her so she did not do the journey. However, we know our dog. More than that, we have arrived at Dover after a very long driving journey and wanted nothing more than to get our heads down for an hour or so. We slept in the Campervan and it was fine for us. Yes, the alarms in other vehicles do go off and they stay honking for quite a while, but we largely slept through it.

I would say it is up to how you know your dog. If it is in your MH for 1.5 hours and used to being left on its own then leave it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our dog has gone to the big doggy home in the sky. We never bought a passport for her so she did not do the journey. However, we know our dog. More than that, we have arrived at Dover after a very long driving journey and wanted nothing more than to get our heads down for an hour or so. We slept in the Campervan and it was fine for us. Yes, the alarms in other vehicles do go off and they stay honking for quite a while, but we largely slept through it.

I would say it is up to how you know your dog. If it is in your MH for 1.5 hours and used to being left on its own then leave it.

Just reading the above, are you saying that you stayed in your campervan whilst on the ferry and had a kip! :Eeek: As far as I know it is against policy to allow anyone to stay in the car decks during the crossing, not to mention it being unsafe.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
On Bilbao crossing this summer

Thanks but what if i want to cut down on the miles and go to Spain ?

We went up on the 'dog deck' several times, altho' we don't have one but we like them. There were about 10 kennels I think, and there did not seem to be any restrictions on owners visiting their dogs, getting them out and playing with them, in the dog walking/toilet area. This area was regularly hosed down by the crew. Although some dogs were obviously a bit distressed because of being shut in, it seemed to be a good facility. I assume if you have a dog friendly cabin, you can't walk them round the ship - we never saw any dogs in the passenger areas.

Catherine

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
On the Spanish ferry we placed our dog in the kennels on the top deck, you can go up and down to the kennels as many times as you wish, (I guess you could sit with the dog most of the time if you wished) no restrictions on visits at all, and walk dog on top deck.

When you get on the ship, you are taken to the kennels by a crew member and the same when you take the dog back to your MH.

Not bad at all, first time the dog wonders what it is all about, but after that they seem to adapt.

I must say that I am one for (unless I want to tour France and then Spain) getting straight to Spain so its the boat for me, get on, put dog in Kennel, and wake up next morning in Spain Simples :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
My dogs been on the Dover ferry, no problem, she loves it, better than being in kennels she just told me. :thumb:

Some of us can't use the tunnel due to my wife's disability so we get no choice, but when we go to get back in the van the bear wags her tail and is pleased to see us :thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
There was another dog in the van behind ours. He could not have been more chilled. He sat on the passenger seat. Laid down on the seat. Shut his eyes and slept. Did not move after that. Jane ::bigsmile:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
weve only done the short dover runs but our dog is fine being left, only you know how your dog is being left in the van some would eat the upholstry if left

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hi, My name is Alfie. That's me in the picture. my owners (waiting staff) take me everywhere as I'm a good traveller. I happily curled on on the back seat on the 320 mile trip to Cornwall when they tugged a caravan. I was rewarded with 2 weeks of new smells and new people to stroke me.
When the staff retired and bought a MH they took me to France via the Dover-Calais route. They walked me on the dockside prior to sailing and then I quite happily stretched out in my bed on the sailing over.
I realise that not all my 4 legged friends may like the travelling, but then I'm not sure I would want to be on a ferry all the way to Spain.

My staff adore me and couldn't leave me in kennels. I am no trouble and they walk me prior to leaving me in the MH. Oddly, no one tries the door. Must be the bowl of water they leave outside and the chain or me smiling back at them!

I've just worked it out, they save on kennel fees and get free security!! :Eeek:

Alfie

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Alfie

My name is Tazzy and I'm a cross Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier (aka a 'Chisel'). My step sisters, Lily (Patterdale Terrier) and Romy (cross Greyhound/Staffie) have seen your photo and think you are very nice, but are a bit worried as they're not sure if you're allowed in France and don't want you to get into trouble! :whatthe:

Broken Link Removed

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Thank you Tazzy for drawing my attention to the classifications. I'm am not actually being "imported" to France?:whatthe: just a visitor.
You will see that I'm clever enough to use a keyboard and am clever enough not to draw attention to myself by barking or biting people.
I am aware being a Staffie comes with a bad tag whenever my staff book a trip away or even walk me but that's usually due to being mistaken/assumed for being a pit bull and that's a cross I have to bear!
Strange we are never used as guard dogs if we are vicious, in reality we would let the intruder make a fuss of us as we just adore people, especially children. That's why the staff chose me, I don't bite, don't bark, do as I'm told, sit quietly on the beach and soak up the admiration and the sun.
BUT, LIKE ANY DOG, I COULD BITE, BUT PREFER BEING STROKED.

Bientot

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Dog on Ferry

Hi all
Going on a ferry next year to either France or Spain, problem is not sure how you go on with a dog, will she have to stop in the motorhome if so France not to bad but Spain will be at leased 24hrs.
How do i go on ?.

We have sailed to Santander several times with our dog.
Just book a kennel and you can visit your dog and exercise him (or her) at will.
Dog not allowed to stay in van.

Some sailings now have dog friendly cabins.

Cross channel ferries dog can stay in van.

Malc

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you Tazzy for drawing my attention to the classifications. I'm am not actually being "imported" to France?:whatthe: just a visitor.
You will see that I'm clever enough to use a keyboard and am clever enough not to draw attention to myself by barking or biting people.
I am aware being a Staffie comes with a bad tag whenever my staff book a trip away or even walk me but that's usually due to being mistaken/assumed for being a pit bull and that's a cross I have to bear!
Strange we are never used as guard dogs if we are vicious, in reality we would let the intruder make a fuss of us as we just adore people, especially children. That's why the staff chose me, I don't bite, don't bark, do as I'm told, sit quietly on the beach and soak up the admiration and the sun.
BUT, LIKE ANY DOG, I COULD BITE, BUT PREFER BEING STROKED.

Bientot

we take our dog all the time, he's a season traveller now. but we avoid the long crossings by personal choice.

on the point above about importing a dog, it also relates to visiting camp sites,,
its worth checking individual campsites as many of them dont allow any dogs in high season and MOST have a dog ctegory distiction cat 1 and cat 2 that are not allowed any time.
check the ACSI / camping cheques books and you will see what i mean. if your dog looks like a Cat 1 or cat 2 you may have to prove otherwise. i have been asked often what type of dog and they have looked at him to confirm. and he's a spaniel

Last edited:

Bowman

Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
We took our extremely large black Labrador Portsmouth - Le Harve in September an 8 hour night crossing (run lpg so couldn’t use tunnel). He stayed in the RV and slept and he’s the biggest baby ever thinks he’s a lap dog. Left plenty of food & water and he wasn’t a bit upset when we got back into RV, told him mummy & daddy were going to the shops and he knows he gets a treat if he’s a good boy ! You could go down with the purser if you were worried or wanted to walk him. They also loaded us last and off loaded us first.
We were a bit worried about the French dog restrictions because he has large square head, over 30kg (45kg) short hair and all the other things they say you can’t take. A lot of the French were interested in him because they were not used to seeing such a big dog. The vet charged us for two lots of worm injections and took ages to work out how much to give, they kept rechecking their math’s as he was the largest they’d seen.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My sister Lily (Patterdale) is very frightened of loud noises and bangs as she got a bad scare on a ferry trip (Dover/Calais) and hates going on them now, so we have to use the tunnel which is great as I get to stay with my Mummy and Daddy so can have a snooze on their bed with Daddy! :thumb:

My big sister Romy is a big fussy monster being a cross Staffie and licks Mummy and Daddy to death and thinks she is a little dog like me - I love to play fight with her even though she's 25kg and I'm only 5kg! :RollEyes:

Tazzy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... We were a bit worried about the French dog restrictions because he has large square head, over 30kg (45kg)

Wow! A 45kg dog with a 30kg head!!!:Eeek:

Bowman

Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
LOL... The French don't like dogs over 30kg.:roflmto:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Thanks to Minx for giving me due warning that my dog may be a banned breed and to the others for putting their views.
It seems that the thread has now drifted from the original post regarding travel for which I apologise, but without the question being asked I would have been in blissful ignorance so it is still about dogs.
I won't preach that my dog is special and should be exempt. I was well aware when we got him what to expect. In fact it's the choccy labs, collies and the little terriers that tend to lunge at his face. He just stands and looks at them with contempt but I'm well aware if he retaliated, he would win and that's the problem I believe. The Staffie is not listed in the UK as a dangerous dog.
I enclose an edited version of a French Embassy guide, here it says The S.B.T. is not listed as a dangerous dog?

...................................................................................................
France in the United KingdomFrench Embassy

Home French EmbassyConsulate general in LondonConsulate general in EdinburghScience and TechnologyCulture and language
» About France » Importing personal goods » Importing animals into France » Importing animals into France
Importing animals into France

Table of contents
· Requirements to enter France with your pet animal(s) (cats, dogs, ferrets)
· Pets (cats, dogs and ferrets) going to France on a temporary basis (i.e. later returning to (...)
· Dangerous dogs

Dangerous dogs in France are classified in 2 categories :
Category 1 : attack dogs - They are dogs whose appearance is of American Staffordshire terrier (pit-bulls), Mastiff (boerbulls) and Tosa types (i.e. without pedigree). It is prohibited to introduce these dogs into France.
Category 2 : defence and guard dogs – They are dogs of American Staffordshire terrier, Rottweiler, and Tosa breeds (i.e. with pedigree), and dogs of a Rottweiler type (without pedigree).

American Staffordshire Terrier breed Known until 1972 under the name of Staffordshire Terrier –
Not to be confused with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, which is not listed as a dangerous dog.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
We sailed Zebrugger to Hull last July. The journey must be over 10 hours as we ate and slept in the cabin.

Our dog spent the whole time in the MH. We'd walked her before going onto the boat and put some paper down just in case, but she was just fine.

She was glad to see us come the morning, but no more so than if we'd gone out for the day and were returning home.

Personally, I think she would be more at home in the MH than wandering around the boat as to her the MH is home and she feels comfortable and contented there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back