Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Well we have been touring Spain for six weeks now and have seen many cars on trailers but only one A frame and he was pulled up by the police on the way to Malaga------- you have been warned

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
They might learn one day, I have heard all the gaff about paperwork etc, but if they say unhitch they have the last word. :Sad::Sad::Sad: Pete

rarin2go

Free Member
Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Travelled down Spain the other week with friends who have an a-frame and had no bother. We met plenty of police and some even came to their assistance in a town and at the ferry port and not a comment was made.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Travelled down Spain the other week with friends who have an a-frame and had no bother. We met plenty of police and some even came to their assistance in a town and at the ferry port and not a comment was made.

Hi
They were lucky 3 lots of my friends got fined this year, and told to unhitch, luckily all wives could drive, perhaps different branches of the police deal with A frames.
On an other thing, I got pulled last night near home for having my side lights and front fog lights on, the reason being one of my dipped headlight bulbs was gone (now replaced) I told him the reason and he let me on my way, saying it's going a bit misty now (So why did he stop me in the first place if it was misty which it wasn't) perhaps smelling for booze. Pete :thumb::thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Well we have been touring Spain for six weeks now and have seen many cars on trailers but only one A frame and he was pulled up by the police on the way to Malaga------- you have been warned

Is that right.... ? :Eeek:

I thought "A" frames were legal every where... :ROFLMAO:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Spanish road traffic law has ALWAYS outlawed the towing of any road vehicle by another. This is NOT in conflict with any "EU Law" as there is no such thing as EU law.
there are only "EU Directives" on certain matters....which EU member states agree to pass into their own domestic law, based upon their interpretation of that gneral Directive.
There has NEVER been an EU Directive on towing. it is up to each Member State to set its own law in this area. Spain outlaws the towing of one vehicle with another. In the UK the law is muddy and unclear.
Some people in the UK maintain that a car somehow miraculously transforms itself via some magic, into a trailer when attached to a tow bar....for the purposes of UK law only.
In Spain this arrant nonsense is not accepted. If it looks like a car, ir if performs like a car. if it has seats and an engine and is registered as a car, it is NOT transformed into a trailer just by adding a bit of steel bar to the front of the car.

Spain is/maybe breaking EU Law relating to the EC convension on visiting vehicles. If the visitors home country permits these devices then the visiting country is oblidged to allow passage.

Do not tow a car behind your motorhome in Spain. You will be breaking the law here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back