Free Member
Nov 14, 2012
Kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20 years
The Truma heater in my 2001 CI Riviera carries on sparking after the heater is lit , I am happy with removing and replacing the burner and micro switch , i see the switch is availiable seperately, is that the likely suspect? .the ignitor box produces strong regular sparks when tested on the bench but the spark is weaker and less regular when installed so i suspect that the earthing is poor, i suspect the high voltage earths in the micro switch and back to the ignitor box through the two low voltage leads, there is no where else for it to go.HAs anyone stripped and re-assembled a mico switch?.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It will be the ignitor box, which I suspect is automatic one. They are prone to failure, usually caused by either damp causing arcing or a dry joint. They are usually sealed. Though older ones are servicable.

OP
OP
B

bobbybear

Free Member
Nov 14, 2012
Kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20 years
Hi, thats what i fisrt thought but the unit sparks strongly and reliably off the van but reinstalling it makes things intermittent and weak,this points to a problem somewhere else, however the carrying on sparking may well be the box ,how does the switching off come about??.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hi, thats what i fisrt thought but the unit sparks strongly and reliably off the van but reinstalling it makes things intermittent and weak,this points to a problem somewhere else, however the carrying on sparking may well be the box ,how does the switching off come about??.

In simple terms it works by a thermo switch inside the ignitor box switching off when the thermo couple heats up, telling the ignitor that a flame is present.

The oil gunge that forms in the pipes will eventually dry out and form a 'grit' - this usually is the culprit for blocking gas jets, regulators and the like. It can be duisolved and blown out usuing and air duster can and some hot water in most cases unless very bad.

Your flame should be blue, if yellow or orange, there is dirt still present impedeing flow - you need around 30mb.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
truma

Why don't you call out an engineer? If its the ignitor thats faulty then its an easy fix, if not it could be much more complex.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
check everything is earthed properly not familiar with these but im aa gas eng on ng micro currrent passes through the flame to earth on the burners normally check leads connections and earth tags etc also the gap on electrodes unlikley to be the spark gen as thats working its just not getting the signal to stop reversed polarity can cause this but assuming it worked before and no electrics have been changed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back