Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Hello all
The title shows the problem, my grey tank is emptying very slowly.
I have found an inspection hatch in the top but the tank is so long I can't get my big arm all the way inside.
When I put a hose pipe in on high pressure, I can dislodge the blockage for a while but then it finds its way back:Angry:
Is there something I can put into the tank to devolve it? It must be food or leaf or something.
Help please
Martin

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hello all
I have found an inspection hatch in the top but the tank is so long I can't get my big arm all the way inside.
When I put a hose pipe in on high pressure, I can dislodge the blockage for a while but then it finds its way back:Angry:
Is there something I can put into the tank to devolve it? It must be food or leaf or something.
Help please
Martin

Sounds as if whatever is blocking it can move around-so,if you raise one end of the van so that whatever it is comes to the end with the 'inspection cover' you should be able to see it and get it out ::bigsmile: maybe,hopefully.::bigsmile:

Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hello all
Help please
Martin

Hi Martin, I had the same problem a few years ago and it was caused by a build up of fat and other nice things we wash down the sinks. I half filled the tank with water and added some caustic soda. Went out for a short drive to rinse it about and then drained it out. The problem was solved after I pulled out a large piece of fat/food mix from the inspection hole. When finished rinse out the tank again and hopefully it should work.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Soon after I got my van a black plastic disc about the size of a 10p piece came out from the grey tank into the bucket. I'm guessing it fell into the tank at some point during construction. Just wondering if you've got something like that lurking?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sounds like you have alot of crud building up. You will need to get some bio washing liquid in there or similar - works well, go for the aldi 5 litre one. You can use in your loo too!

Let that soak overnight, and it should clear. You may need to check your traps and clean them too, as they may be blocking also.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Reverse flushing always works for me. I just push a hose up as far as it will go then let the tank fill, you may even find the lump of crud in your tank after.

Don't let HID flush so much fat drown the drain -- that's if you are brave enough to tell her. :hardhat:

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I thought caustic soda might harm the plastic:Sad:
I think I need to try it, I suppose any other sink unblocked should work too.
I would use coke, but then what would I put in by JD:winky:
Is caustic soda or normal sink unblocker ok for the traps as well ?

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
The only reason I am so cautious is because when we had the B&B, we had a commercial dishwasher that was emptying slowly, so down went the drain unblocker, and disintegrated the internal hoses:cry:
Cost £200 to repair:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The only reason I am so cautious is because when we had the B&B, we had a commercial dishwasher that was emptying slowly, so down went the drain unblocker, and disintegrated the internal hoses:cry:
Cost £200 to repair:Doh:

Caustic soda is fine with plastics, it's the main chemical of most drain unblockers and some oven cleaners.. . but it does generate quite a bit of heat, hence your melted dishwasher hose..

I also had some misfortune with it.. It is great for cleaning fat from frying and chip pans.. I left it too long and it attacked the aluminum .. damn near ate through the pan :roflmto:

Mix in the sink, then drain down to the tank, run fresh water to clear it from the pipes and fill the tank.. .. leave overnight then drain out..

NB **follow the instructions on the packet and please wear safety glasses, or better still safety goggles and also rubber gloves, it can cause severe skin burns..**

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
once you have cleared the problem, remember to keep a small bottle or similar to tip cool oil/fat into, and plenty of kitchen roll to wipe plates off before washing. Also if you can use sink strainers as loose hair from washing it going down the drain will also help the fat to collect in lumps

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sound like a grease 'ball'.

only way into the tank is via a sink or shower drain so the 'item' should be small enough to pass out the outlet pipe/tap.

a grease ball will build up over time and could be too big to pass out.

you have access to the service 'hatch' so try a couple of pans of boiling water and bio liquid through the hatch..cold/warmish water wont dissolve grease.

leave a few minutes then drain down.
probably need to repeat a few times.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Martin
I use a bottle of coke that seems to get all sorts of rubbish out. Pete

Doesn't the bottle cause a bit of a blockage? ::bigsmile:

joking apart-there is a product by Thetford for this problem-it is Thetford Grey Waste Freshener.It dissolves grease etc and certainly makes our sinks drain more quickly and has cleared our Grey Tank of a black coating that it had when we got the van.
If the blockage is being caused by a non-dissolvable something,then you will have to find a way of getting that 'something' within reach of the inspection hole.::bigsmile:

Mike.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Doesn't the bottle cause a bit of a blockage? ::bigsmile:

joking apart-there is a product by Thetford for this problem-it is Thetford Grey Waste Freshener.It dissolves grease etc and certainly makes our sinks drain more quickly and has cleared our Grey Tank of a black coating that it had when we got the van.
If the blockage is being caused by a non-dissolvable something,then you will have to find a way of getting that 'something' within reach of the inspection hole.::bigsmile:

Mike.

Hoop's I never thought of that, but I did put a bottle of coke, not a coke bottle. Pete :winky::winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back