Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Any ones thoughts on what has occurred over Europe, Spain in particular
We leave England on the ports mouth Bilboa ferry on 5th January, I tend to ignore things like this - newspaper hype, but Pete is a bit cautious
Other people's thoughts would be welcome
regards

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Didn't look like newspaper hype on TV. There are a lot of angry people out there.

Desperate people will turn to crime even if not in their nature. Keep your doors locked.

What a mess.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I spend a long time at my house in Spain, in Spain at the moment, living here you tend to see another side. Sure they have problems and sure they demonstrate (as we do in the UK) and yes it gets a bit "Sticky" sometimes and you see the police hitting people with battens- but that happens in the UK and most European countries.

Outside of the "demonstration zones" all is as normal, no problem at all, yes as somebody has just pointed out crime does go up ....as it does in the UK and other Euro Countries - but bolt your doors is a bit OTT its as if to say that you wouldn't do that in any case.

It seems to me that nothing is happening in Spain that wouldn't happen in the UK- remember the riots in the UK, well Spain is not in that position, far from it. IMO

My advice, get on the boat and come and enjoy!!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Spanish demonstrations can be pretty noisy, loads of them carrying drums and whistles But they are normally well policed. Once while visiting Salamanca we knew protests were going to happen on a particular day but thought we'd get out of town while they were all in bed. 6:30am saw us whizzing through deserted streets then we turned a corner and were confronted by several hundred demonstrators gathering for the big march. They were mostly peaceful, a few bins had been thrown around but no one was interested in us and the police helped us get out of there way.

If we had tried to get through town just half an hour later we would not have bumped into the demonstrators as the cordons were in place by then.

I would not worry, demos are normally well publicised and happen in the centre of major cities so they are easily avoided as long as your not there before the police:Smile:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Didn't look like newspaper hype on TV. There are a lot of angry people out there.

Desperate people will turn to crime even if not in their nature. Keep your doors locked.

What a mess.

This is abject scaremongering. We are in Spain & the vast majority is absolutely safe & calm. Just take normal common sense precautions.

maggio

Free Member
Jul 5, 2012
limousin
Funster No
MH
challenger
Exp
riots in spain

Hi,
We are planning to spend winter in spain, but it would be fair to say that we have similar concerns to slverdreamers. We are aware that a number of "camping carist" do carry certain items of "self protection toys".....pepper spray etc... Given the political and economical circumstances in spain and portugal right now can anyone offer any advice on this travel aspect; or will the more traditional methods of alarm systems and secure locks suffice? if so what security items would be considered a must?

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Hi,
We are planning to spend winter in spain, but it would be fair to say that we have similar concerns to slverdreamers. We are aware that a number of "camping carist" do carry certain items of "self protection toys".....pepper spray etc... Given the political and economical circumstances in spain and portugal right now can anyone offer any advice on this travel aspect; or will the more traditional methods of alarm systems and secure locks suffice? if so what security items would be considered a must?

Please read my previous post, I live here and it is very, very normal to hear some of the posts you would think this is Afghanistan. Life travels on as normal, the only pepper you will need is for your dinner.

You will need the same security as you would before the dreaded crisis and the same as you would need in ANY other European Country.:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Apart from normal sensible precautions you would normally take don't worry and certainly don't worry about what you see on tv.

We were in Barcelona a few weeks ago when the riots were happening. Yes it was noisy and they threw some paint at a few banks doors, can't blame them for that, but we never felt threatened or in danger. We were surprised to see most Spanish people just ignoring it and carrying on with their normal way of life, shopping, sitting in pavement cafes and chatting away so we did the same. When we watched the news that evening on tv we were amazed to see the media made it look terrifying and would have stopped us visiting if we'd seen that first and it actually nothing like they portrayed.

Carry on with your plans and dont worry :thumb:

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Battens

Hi Billy 23,
Sorry for the delay in making this post, but I have out of the country and off-line for a fewq days.
You don't mention what size the battens were with which people were hit. Being banged around the head with a 2x2 can be very dangerous - and definitely painful!

Bob

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
As already posted, it is doubtful it will affect you unless you join in of course. There have had riots here and there have been riots in france in the past when we have been there - didnt affect us at all

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
read what the folk in the country have to say! rather than listen what the news media have put out, as i have experienced in my past, all the media are is a load if scare mongers mainly to sell there product, in our world its propaganda,so go and enjoy your travels and your life, and just make precautions as you would in the UK,:thumb:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Hi Billy 23,
Sorry for the delay in making this post, but I have out of the country and off-line for a fewq days.
You don't mention what size the battens were with which people were hit. Being banged around the head with a 2x2 can be very dangerous - and definitely painful!

Bob

Of course it is dangerous, I suppose what I was trying to say is that the police in Spain- when they have to "Deal" with some sort of trouble know that if they get a bit Mmmm what shall we say .. perhaps hard in the way they deal with it, they are very unlikely to be taken to court, reprimanded or find the picture in the newspapers for they action they have taken. And it would seem to me that the Spanish people know that and what they are getting into...and what may happen.

And I pointed out that the same thing happened in the UK, so that doesnt mean that you need Pepper spray and that the country is falling apart. It is as normal here as it is in the UK, no let me correct that, it is MORE normal here that the UK.

The police here are very good and easy to get on with but if you mess with them, they really don't seem to me to pansy around.

After all if I was Surrounded by many hundreds or thousands of angry people and they started to attack me, I tend to think that I would start belting a few with my batten, 2x2 or bigger:Smile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Well we have been in Spain now for about six weeks,all the way down to Malaga where we are at present and the only thing we know of riots is what we have just read on here.

Press hype ignore it.

OP
OP
S

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Riots in Spain.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer, yes that is one I thought.

We are still getting on the ferry and looking forward to it.

Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back