Waste water in winter - solution needed (1 Viewer)

Branston1080

Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Here's the issue, how do I manage my waste water tank in winter?
I work away from home in the week and I have just started using my motorhome as my accommodation.
I'm on a long term pitch and therefore not moving the van ( no service point anyway).
My tank is under slung but there is a heated vent to hopefully prevent it freezing. As I'm new to this and have no experience of winter camping I'm unsure of the best way forward.
Do I keep the tank closed and heated and drain and empty when required or should I keep the tank open so it just drains?
If I do the latter what's the best container to go for and how do I cope with freezing temperatures?
I know these are all probably ridiculous questions but I'm worried about freezing pipes/ damage.
Any suggestions welcome ::bigsmile:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
To avoid any problems, I would open the outlet on your waste tank, and let it drain into something else, a waste hog, bucket, other plastic container. This is cheaper option than heating the tank etc, and will save you worrying about it.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Have to agree with Darklord I use a bucket had no mechanical failure yet:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
always use a bucket in winter as a closed tank will just freeze solid preventing emptying and potentially splitting as the ice expands:thumb:

OP
OP
Branston1080

Branston1080

Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Bucket doesn't fit under

Thanks for the responses, it looks like the 'bucket' is the way forward!
Standard bucket too tall to fit under van.
Is it ok to attach a hose?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I would just use your tank heating!

Its the UK, not the Alps! Seriously, I think Knaus's solution to keeping your tank frost-free will be fine.
Our Chausson has an unheated underfloor waste tank, the bucket only comes out for ski trips.

Attaching a hose to your tank will just add another thing to freeze.

Do bear in mind the position of your waste valve though, if remote from the tank, it may freeze if the going gets tough.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Plenty of sites, especially CLs are quite happy if you run a waste hose from your tank into the hedgerow. .. (check with warden/owner first) .. Keep the waste valve open, ensure the hose drains empty and you won't have any problems..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If a bucket is too large to go under your van, use a washing up bowl and then just pour the contents into a bucket and chuck-it! :Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Have to echo the other comments on here, in freezing weather use a bucket or something similar, not a waste container like a wastemaster as you will not be able to empty it if it freezes. The taper in a bucket or washing up bowl allows it to be emptied even if frozen nearly solid.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
one of the floppy plastic trug things they expand ,

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The only problem I had using a bucket was a load of waste water, bucket-shaped lollipops cluttering up a C&CC site's waste diposal drain! :roflmto::roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back