Caravaner about to change to Motor Home (1 Viewer)

Barrynorthern

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi been caravaning for 20 years but now kids have moved on we feel a motor home would suit us better. Having read up on Aires etc I am a bit more confident that we prefer the open road as opposed to longer camp site stays. I like driving and having stayed in seven hotels in Europe this year I prefer my own comforts. So I may be asking many questions and hope to meet like minded people on my travels. I have yet to buy a home but will be at next years NEC. I am semi retired? Finished early due to great offer so for a while at least I intend to do what most people say they will do but never actually get around to it?which is tour and live life a bit, walk, cycle, scuba, and tour. I like the history of Europe, battle fields, nice vistas, things to photograph and good company. Food and wine are also high on my list. I also want to travel more in the winter months hence I feel a motor home may help us to achieve that, not happy towing over winter.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Welcome to Fun

What a sensible move, especially at a time when so many caravanners we have met have been the victims of purchasing stolen ones with chips in them.

We hope you enjoy motorhoming and theres loads of people on here to help

Our leader Jim has produced a motorhome buying guide. Its worth its weight in gold. make sure you lay across the beds to see that you fit, because they can be deceiving.

If you are cooking for more that 2 of you take a fresh chicken and make sure it fits in the oven - yes these are different sizes too and make sure your butts can fit on the toilet seat (take it from someone who is now a size 24 - it does make a difference

Good luck and looking forward to seeing you at a meet once you have your new purchase

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We did exactly what you're doing earlier this year, also caravanned for 20 years, and have loved every minute so far. We have been to France 3 times in April, June & September, and rallied & used CL's in this country. No problems so far and learned a few things along the way.

Hope it goes as well for you ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We did this two years ago and haven't regretted it at all.
Certainly we missed the additional space in the caravan for the first few days but it's a case of adjusting to how you move around (in our case one at a time!).
The benefits far outweigh the losses as far as we're concerned. We have great days out in it as well as some fantastic trips touring wonderful places. A few times we have used it has a longer term base as we did the caravan and that worked well too. Just used our bikes to go out or public transport.
Enjoy the fun of choosing!
... and welcome to the fun. :Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi been caravaning for 20 years but now kids have moved on we feel a motor home would suit us better. Having read up on Aires etc I am a bit more confident that we prefer the open road as opposed to longer camp site stays. I like driving and having stayed in seven hotels in Europe this year I prefer my own comforts. So I may be asking many questions and hope to meet like minded people on my travels. I have yet to buy a home but will be at next years NEC. I am semi retired? Finished early due to great offer so for a while at least I intend to do what most people say they will do but never actually get around to it?which is tour and live life a bit, walk, cycle, scuba, and tour. I like the history of Europe, battle fields, nice vistas, things to photograph and good company. Food and wine are also high on my list. I also want to travel more in the winter months hence I feel a motor home may help us to achieve that, not happy towing over winter.

Hi and Welcome to MHF...I hope your new motorhome is the best thing since slice bread and is all you wanted when you get it...just think nothing is perfect there always something you missed or need ... .as others have said you will miss the space that a caravan gives you...but you will soon adjust to life in a motorhome...
French aires...if you intend to try these out.... leave most of the baggage at home, sun loungers, aqua roll,awnings, carpets, etc: and lots of other items that you would use normally on a Irish / English / Spanish campsite at home, save and use these items for when you do intend to stop on campsites....
Travel light-ish...one or two bikes a couple chairs small table, electric cables & plugs , water hose pipe and tap connectors various,... a small outside cooker if you like cooking outside ...
Most people stop on Aires from one to three days and then move on...some Aires may only be allowed 24 hours some up to 72 hours some there may not be a limit at all...but think about other fellow motorhomers wanting to stop only to find some are stopping on Aires long term....always leave the night stop cleaner than you found it:thumb:...

You may want to go down the refillable gas route if you intend to travel in France/Spain/Portugal in the winter months.

Motorhomefun is like a computer .... All the information is there you just need to input the problem and download the answer:thumb: there may be a bit of silly harmless chat ....replies:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: you will love it
Safe Journeys
Mel

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
:welcome:

We caravaned for 30 years and have had our motorhome for just over a year and its brilliant I just wish we had changed before.
I spent months following this forum and looking at dealers and online before I got mine and I have not regretted my final choice, remember that sometimes its best to get a lightly used 1 - 2 year old one at a big discount from new and with the added advantage of extras that have been fitted by the first owner.
Look, Look and Look again and list all your priorities before you buy to ensure what you get ticks every box

Good hunting

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
It is quite a change from the Caravan holidays you are probably used to.
Instead of radiating out in your car each day to visit nearby places you will probably find on the continent that the places you want to visit are within walking, cycling or public transport reach.
It is what I term a 'touch and go' existence, moving on frequently to places that you would have gone off to in the car. The advantage here is you are only going one way so it is like doubling your MPG. You will need to get used to living without that awning room as the Aires/Stelplaz do not permit it. I am not even sure that the weight trade off of a roll out awning is worth while.
On the subject of weight do examine the payload that is available on 3.5 tonne motorhomes, some are just not practical for an extended trip with bikes, solar panels and gas tanks (the real essentials).
We always travel with full water tanks, particularly in the winter months as some of the normal fill up places turn it off during the cold weather.
Finally befriend a Dutchman wherever you see them. They are great linguists and will willingly help you out with information in English on the stopover and routes to travel to see whatever interests you.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
It is quite a change from the Caravan holidays you are probably used to.
Instead of radiating out in your car each day to visit nearby places you will probably find on the continent that the places you want to visit are within walking, cycling or public transport reach.
It is what I term a 'touch and go' existence, moving on frequently to places that you would have gone off to in the car. The advantage here is you are only going one way so it is like doubling your MPG. You will need to get used to living without that awning room as the Aires/Stelplaz do not permit it. I am not even sure that the weight trade off of a roll out awning is worth while.
On the subject of weight do examine the payload that is available on 3.5 tonne motorhomes, some are just not practical for an extended trip with bikes, solar panels and gas tanks (the real essentials).
We always travel with full water tanks, particularly in the winter months as some of the normal fill up places turn it off during the cold weather.
Finally befriend a Dutchman wherever you see them. They are great linguists and will willingly help you out with information in English on the stopover and routes to travel to see whatever interests you.

Completely agree with this, except perhaps to say there are benefits in being 3500 or less if you can (lower tolls, higher speed limits, less restrictions on roads / lanes you are allowed in etc).

We changed from a caravan 6 years ago and have since been on quite a number of trips of 8/9 weeks to places ranging from the S point in Europe (Tarifa) to the N (NordKapp), and also to E Europe. Its wonderful, and in my view you just could not do it with a caravan.
That said, if what you want is to go to a place and stay for weeks, then a caravan has its benefits!

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you keep to around the 6 metre length, it is cheaper on the ferries and you can park them in car parks easier bearing in mind you will be a similar size as an ambulance or Tesco delivery van , and if like us do a lot of walking you can still get down a lot of country roads, if you get a cycle rack fitted you will increase your transport options .

There is also the fuel saving of being smaller and lighter , Our MH is based on Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd and we get 28 to 32mpg and even 37 mpg in Holland but that is cos there are no hills of course . We tend to keep to 2000 rpm about 55mph , chill out and enjoy the ride ..

Enjoy the search ...:thumb:

Last edited:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We changed to motorhome after 20 odd years in a caravan. Before our first trip we transfered all our caravan paraphernalia to the van .... and removed it on our return. Its a different way of life. We used to go somewhere for a week and explore in the car with a permanent base. This summer we spent 5 weeks on the continent with never more than 2 nights in any one place.
Similarly the continental experience is different from the UK. Here campsites tend to be rural and out-of-the-way. On the continent there are many aires placed very centrally with a brief stroll to the heart of a town.
Treat it differently and you'll love it. Someone far wiser and imaginative than me said,
"A caravan is for holidays, a motorhome is for adventures."
(and with a better memory than me as I can't remember who it was.)
Enjoy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
(snip) ...Someone far wiser and imaginative than me said,
"A caravan is for holidays, a motorhome is for adventures."
(and with a better memory than me as I can't remember who it was.)
Enjoy.

Obviously this 'wise person' had never been to Morocco where he would have seen plenty of caravns. .. We also toured all over Europe with a Landy and caravan, had plenty of adventures .. and saw many places with the Landy that most motorhomes wouldn't dare go ..

Adventure is a state of mind.. not what you own.. or what you do it in... :winky:

One such couple in Morocco ... http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=109

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the fun, much very good advice given in this thread. Motorhoming is different, its much less hassle. You don't need to carry as much, you are more mobile.
Enjoy. don't forget to check out the chatroom.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Welcome to Fun and good luck in your search, just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer

Peter

OP
OP
B

Barrynorthern

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Reply tp all posts

Thanks for your input, I think what you all say is what I have been thinking and I believe I am making the right choice? Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back