Free Member
May 18, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
Since 2008
Good evening all, I have a little problem which I am sure one of you very bright people out there will know the answer. Whilst driving my Autotrail motorhome we can't use anything in the habitation area. This is very cold during the winter months and STMBO can't watch a video, so can someone let me know how to change this.:Sad:

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
[Good evening all, I have a little problem ]

Some things you should discuss with your wife in private:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I had a quick look at your wiring schematics on the Sargent website. I couldn't figure out from the drawings what you have to modify.

I do know that some Funsters have modded their Sargent wiring and will be able to tell you what to do.

Hopefully this will keep the thread near the top and someone will be along soon!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Good evening all, I have a little problem which I am sure one of you very bright people out there will know the answer. Whilst driving my Autotrail motorhome we can't use anything in the habitation area. This is very cold during the winter months and STMBO can't watch a video, so can someone let me know how to change this.:Sad:

I'm confused .... is your wife sitting in the rear and wanting to watch a video? Is your van the twin inward facing settee type? If so, they it is not advisable for your wife to be sitting in the rear whilst you travel.

If I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick I stand to be corrected! :RollEyes:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Yes it can be done, rather simple proceedure to go for the snip.,,,

As I was explaining to another funster not so long ago. The not being ableto use 12v in the rear is part of the bizzarre NCC building regs, but all right to drive one from across the water n the same way.

I added a switch in to mine to allow me to keep it undone and just simply switch if the wife and kids want to lay on our forwad facing sofa's and watch some films, or nip and lay on the bed in the back or even use the toilet and flush :reel:

The only issue I have is telling you which wire to cut. That's not for me to do im afraid, its for you to find. But this is how I found mine.

Went to the sargeant unit. Looked behind it, put the electric step out and then started by pulling a fuse out. Start the engine and see what happen'd , step stays out, im in the right block, step goes in move to the next fuse. I done this till the step stayed out, then found there were about 4 wires to the back of the fuse. narrowed it down to the 25% mark.
got it in 2, :thumb: snipped it, ran a bit of wire creating a switch and now when I switch the switch, everything works in the back of the van as if the engine was not running :thumb::thumb:

Just have to obviously make sure you start your engine, then flick the switch so the step retracts. :thumb:

idea was I could run the van with out needing to make any adjustments and allowing the B2B charger to do its job whilst we ate tea.

Oh then, someone just came and told me what colour it was to cut. :Sad: could of save me a lot of time but hey ho, probably be different on your van to my Bessie anyhow. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Yes it can be done, rather simple proceedure to go for the snip.,,,

As I was explaining to another funster not so long ago. The not being ableto use 12v in the rear is part of the bizzarre NCC building regs, but all right to drive one from across the water n the same way.

I added a switch in to mine to allow me to keep it undone and just simply switch if the wife and kids want to lay on our forwad facing sofa's and watch some films, or nip and lay on the bed in the back or even use the toilet and flush :reel:

The only issue I have is telling you which wire to cut. That's not for me to do im afraid, its for you to find. But this is how I found mine.

Went to the sargeant unit. Looked behind it, put the electric step out and then started by pulling a fuse out. Start the engine and see what happen'd , step stays out, im in the right block, step goes in move to the next fuse. I done this till the step stayed out, then found there were about 4 wires to the back of the fuse. narrowed it down to the 25% mark.
got it in 2, :thumb: snipped it, ran a bit of wire creating a switch and now when I switch the switch, everything works in the back of the van as if the engine was not running :thumb::thumb:

Just have to obviously make sure you start your engine, then flick the switch so the step retracts. :thumb:

idea was I could run the van with out needing to make any adjustments and allowing the B2B charger to do its job whilst we ate tea.

Oh then, someone just came and told me what colour it was to cut. :Sad: could of save me a lot of time but hey ho, probably be different on your van to my Bessie anyhow. :thumb:

good post,

one thing though, how much current goed through the switch? is it just controling a relay? you must make sure any switch fitted can carry the maximum power consumed

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
good post,

one thing though, how much current goed through the switch? is it just controling a relay? you must make sure any switch fitted can carry the maximum power consumed

Interesting, I never thought too hard about it, I have fused it though with a 20amp fuse, which is what it is fused with in to the Sargent unit if that makes sense. No problems thus far :thumb:

But worth pointing out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back