What do you think? (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
I know this is another thread about A frames but every one I have read on MHF say's they are illegal in Europe. Searching the web ifound this statemant from Smart-tow.com.

What if I am stopped by Police in the EU and fined?We have never had one of our Smart-Tow Systems stopped in Europe. We are so confident in the legality of Smart-Tow that, as part of our Extended Warranty, we will pay the Fine*

Any one with any thoughts on this.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Paying the fine will be one thing! What if the local police prevent you moving with the A frame and there associated costs, who will pick up that bill. May be a long shot but better to check aheadof having a potential problem.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I know this is another thread about A frames but every one I have read on MHF say's they are illegal in Europe. Searching the web ifound this statemant from Smart-tow.com.

What if I am stopped by Police in the EU and fined?We have never had one of our Smart-Tow Systems stopped in Europe. We are so confident in the legality of Smart-Tow that, as part of our Extended Warranty, we will pay the Fine*

Any one with any thoughts on this.

Spain!!!! Nuf said :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, I would be happy enough dragging one all around Europe apart from Spain...

Bryan got nicked on the way down last year :Sad:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
If you are stopped and fined, you may well be required to separate you tow vehicle from your rig, it has happened to funsters, and reported on here. So ,do you have two drivers in your party, so you are able to continue your journey, should it happen to you?

Just a thought.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
If you are stopped and fined, you may well be required to separate you tow vehicle from your rig, it has happened to funsters, and reported on here. So ,do you have two drivers in your party, so you are able to continue your journey, should it happen to you?

Just a thought.

Nothing to do with the post but I have just seen your tractor and thought you may be interested in a discovery last year on my Uncle's farm. He agreed to buy a set of buildings from a local farmers widow and set about clearing them of old straw, years old is an understatement.
At the back was a small shed burried under all the rubbish and inside were a selection of crates. To heavy to lift manually he pulled the shed out and lifted the boxes with a JCB. After opening them up he discovered a flat pack Massey tractor with shipment documents from Liverpool docks, but it never left. He contacted a local enthusiast who, over a few months, built up this brand new tractor. All that was required were four tyres and bingo it is now working and his pride and joy.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
They may not be strictly legal, but the only place anyone is going to kick up a fuss is Spain.
I have an Aframe but now only use it in the UK as I find it unnecessary on the continent. I find it useful in the UK because parking almost anywhere is a nightmare and the sites are always miles from anywhere I want to go. On the continent I find you can always park, and especially in France there is always a site or aire (or both) within a walk of practically anywhere.

The comments about UK apply less to Scotland, especially North.:Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
They may not be strictly legal, but the only place anyone is going to kick up a fuss is Spain.
I have an Aframe but now only use it in the UK as I find it unnecessary on the continent. I find it useful in the UK because parking almost anywhere is a nightmare and the sites are always miles from anywhere I want to go. On the continent I find you can always park, and especially in France there is always a site or aire (or both) within a walk of practically anywhere.

The comments about UK apply less to Scotland, especially North.:Smile:

Agree with this opinion.

Also, what are the relative costs of tow bar purchase, towing a toad ( assuming you have a suitable vehicle already ) all around europe vurses a local hire car for a few days when you need one.

I am sure somebody on the forum would have calculated this so whats the thoughts?

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I also use an A frame when needed in the uK, but dont bother when abroad. You can nearly always find somewere to park, as said, aires, seafronts etc no problem.
Myself, and ive not done a cost analysis, what with the extra ferry cost, extra fuel, etxra tolls if used...its probably cheaper to hire a local car if it was needed, sometimes we use somethig just becuse we have it.
Sometimes you jsut need a little lateral thinking, recently in Amsterdam, it was cheaper for six of us to hop a cab, than use the trams !!!!!

Just an observation. Since the finacial squeeze started greedy UK campsite owners have NOT just enjoyed the extra revenue from increased visitor numbers, they have been slipping in chrges for parking trailers, keeping A frames just in front on the convenience stakes,....unless you go to spain.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back