lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi I'm looking for info on must see and do things in Brugge, I have been for a few days and only did the centre of town.
The info is for my mum and dad who are going over for a few days end of Nov for the Xmas market, they are taking their car so can get about a bit. My dad is interested in war stuff if that helps.
My dad would also like to know if there are any big supermarkets selling wine and beer at a reasonable price.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Bars: Brugse Bertje; De Garre; Vlissinghe
Must dos: Ice sculptures/bar [on at the station in late November/December]; climbing the Belfry; playing 'spot the litter' on a walking tour through the streets [v difficult]
Eating: pick a restaurant off the main square and try it - we've rarely been disappointed.

Bruges is a guilty pleasure for me: it's so twee and tourist-oriented but manages to retain its own character. Have yet to take motorhome there, but hope to do so in spring.

bullrush

Free Member
Aug 11, 2012
gosport
Funster No
MH
Rapido c class
Exp
20 yrs
Brugge trip

Brugge is a lovely town with so much to see, try and get there on market day in the square. Its a town with so many sites to see that its best just to explore yourself. The Aires and Motor Home parking area is only about 1/2 a mile from town and there are even places available iin the summer season

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
any big supermarkets selling wine and beer at a reasonable price.

Reasonable price is certainly one thing we did NOT see in Brugge. I don't recall anything like a big supermarket in the centre.

If ever there's a place that needs GPS it's Brugge with it's masses of one way streets.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have visited Brugge many times, it is a lovely city. However i must say that we were a little disappointed with the Xmas Market there. If I were to go again I would hop on a train to Brussels where the Xmas market in the Grande Place is far superior.

Brisey

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the replays we have used the aire a couple of times and it is on our recommendation that my mum and dad are going. I had heard the Xmas market was meant to be really good will mention to them about getting train to Brussels.

Brian my dad will have his sat nav with him but he can get lost coming home from the supermarket so I don't hold out much hope for the arriving back here :ROFLMAO:.

Thanks again
Gerry

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Not what you asked for but...................

Watch 'In Bruges' It's a cracker of a film and in get you in the spirit :ROFLMAO:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

We went to the Christmas Market in Brugge last year and like Brisey was disappointed. I love Brugge though.

As for supermarkets there is an Aldi, Lidl and I think a Carrefour on the main road near camping Memlin. There is also a city Carrefour (bit like Tesco express) in the city (near to the cheap fag place)

Sonja

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Gerry, this next item may not suit mum & dad but might just be of interest to those of you who fancy a tour but could do without the walking.

I was there in August and this was being haled a success.
Segway Tour in Bruges

It did look a lot of fun..........:thumb:...Griff

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
If ever there's a place that needs GPS it's Brugge with it's masses of one way streets.

Bruges has done all it can to dissuade visitors from taking their cars inside the ring road! I suspect the one-way system is allied to this objective. It makes it a lovely city to walk or cycle around, and well worth the slight inconvenience for those that have to use cars [or motorhomes] within it.

If your parents are interested in buying excellent beer at wholesale prices by the crate, I'd recommend a trip to Drank Centrale at Krombeke [http://www.drankcentralenevejan.be/] An experience in itself, the beers there work out at between one and two Euros a bottle. You pay 4.5 Euros deposit on a crate + 24 bottles, but this does give you an excuse to go back there again!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If you have access to a car then i think i www.dewielen.be in Blankenberge is beter €15 per night inc electricity.

DeWielen camping hs just made new places for Motorhomes so plenty of room

Mel

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Don't know if I mislead slightly my mum and dad have car but no motorhome they are staying in hotel but thanks for the info on campsite

Popeye I wouldn't trust my dad on a bike never mind one of them :ROFLMAO:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi I'm looking for info on must see and do things in Brugge, I have been for a few days and only did the centre of town.
The info is for my mum and dad who are going over for a few days end of Nov for the Xmas market, they are taking their car so can get about a bit. [HI]My dad is interested in war stuff[/HI] if that helps.
My dad would also like to know if there are any big supermarkets selling wine and beer at a reasonable price.

If Dad rented a Segway he could always satisfy his desire for "War Stuff" by mowing down a few Gerries, Gerry...........Griff :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
On your way back to the ferry/tunnel there is a large Cora supermarket at Couderkerke. I think its in France rather than Belgium but close to the border. Take care if you fill up the MH at their petrol station as the canopy is low at the exit end. I had to back out once.

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
brugge

Hi griff,
Your gps co ords posted many moons ago for the aire are bang on thanks.
The motorhome parking now has signs for overnight as well so thats an additiona 24 spaces with elec.
Couple of things, water is available on the coach park near the admin office and each pitch has a grid if you just want to get rid of a bucket of grey water .
The toilet emptying is worth paying for, an auto electric door then you get your shoes, hands and cartridge all washed at once :ROFLMAO:
Phil

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Reading with interest as the wife and I are going in December also staying in hotel taking car.Does anyone know the train cost and time taken to get to Brussels or where to get info? I could drive but don't know what parking is like so train could be best bet.Also we are taking tunnel anything worth looking at on the drive to Brugge as we are going early morn and cant get room until the afternoon.We will be away for 4 full days 3 nights so any suggestions on what to see do would be great thanks in advance Paul

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]Hi griff,
Your gps co ords posted many moons ago for the aire are bang on thanks. [/HI]
The motorhome parking now has signs for overnight as well so thats an additiona 24 spaces with elec.
Couple of things, water is available on the coach park near the admin office and each pitch has a grid if you just want to get rid of a bucket of grey water .
The toilet emptying is worth paying for, an auto electric door then you get your shoes, hands and cartridge all washed at once :ROFLMAO:
Phil

Thank you for mentioning it Phil, sorry I should have mentioned the (free) water in the bus depot (80yds away).

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Brugge

Hi Griffe
The free water is ok but do it at night in the dark and dont over do it, the whole place has close circuit tv. Every pitch has a grid in front of to cope with occaisional river flooding. The odd 10 litre bucket at night saves too drops.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back