LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I used to have free web hosting with Microsoft which ended earlier this year. Office 365 was just too sophisticated for what I needed so didn't sign up with them.

Wish I could stop all the blessed emails I get daily from them now :Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why would anyone want to sign up for expensive cloud services controlled by a company which has its own agenda including imposing complicated Ts&Cs which are difficult to understand?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When you can get LibreOffice (open office) for free....:thumb:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
When you can get LibreOffice (open office) for free....:thumb:
I'm no expert Gromett but my people tell me that it is only free to individual users, small business users will have a charge for back up etc. the MS 365 will include any small business back up without charge. If you already own a copy of MS office then MS is offering 365 for a minuscule sum per month. This will include all patches updates done remote from your pc. 365 will have a number of benefits for users like loading speed storage, use on any computer that you have ect. ect.
Sounds like a big step forward to me.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Trust somebody else to back up files for me? I should coco :roflmto:

Trust that the files would actually be there when I want them and the version I want? :Eeek:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why would anyone want to sign up for expensive cloud services controlled by a company which has its own agenda including imposing [HI]complicated Ts&Cs which are difficult to understand[/HI]?
That sounds more like Apple than MS GJH.
Again Azure will have many benefits for small business.:thumb:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Trust somebody else to back up files for me? I should coco :roflmto:

Trust that the files would actually be there when I want them and the version I want? :Eeek:
You are no fall GJH and only a fall would rely totally on just one back up of important files. Remote back-up is just another tool in your armoury. :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm no expert Gromett but my people tell me that it is only free to individual users, small business users will have a charge for back up etc. the MS 365 will include any small business back up without charge. If you already own a copy of MS office then MS is offering 365 for a minuscule sum per month. This will include all patches updates done remote from your pc. 365 will have a number of benefits for users like loading speed storage, use on any computer that you have ect. ect.
Sounds like a big step forward to me.:thumb:

I think you have been misinformed there.

Libre Office is FREE in both senses of the word. Here is an extract from the license.
LibreOffice is licensed under the terms of the LGPLv3 (new contributions are dual-licensed under both LGPLv3+ and MPL). This means you're free to use it for personal and commercial use, you're free to copy it and give copies away, and you're free to modify and redesign the source code, and to create derivative works. For details, please read the licence below and/or visit the licensing FAQ.

As for the rest of your post, that is a judgement call. If you want to pay Microsoft a monthly fee, trust them with your data and let them update the software on your computer without your interaction go for it. I can see tears before bedtime though:Doh:

I have been using Libre Office and it's predecessor Open Office for over 10 years now exclusively and am happy to be off the treadmill of regular big spends on updates.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I used to have free web hosting with Microsoft which ended earlier this year. Office 365 was just too sophisticated for what I needed so didn't sign up with them.

[HI]Wish I could stop all the blessed emails I get daily from them now[/HI] :Sad:
They just want you to submit to the pleasures they have in store for you Janine. :winky:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think you have been misinformed there.

Libre Office is FREE in both senses of the word. Here is an extract from the license.

As for the rest of your post, that is a judgement call. If you want to pay Microsoft a monthly fee, trust them with your data and let them update the software on your computer without your interaction go for it. I can see tears before bedtime though:Doh:

I have been using Libre Office and it's predecessor Open Office for over 10 years now exclusively and am happy to be off the treadmill of regular big spends on updates.
I'll have to get back to you after I have spoken to my people:Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You are no fall GJH and only a fall would rely totally on just one back up of important files. [HI]Remote back-up is just another tool in your armoury.[/HI] :thumb:

We should all have adequate tools already without remote backup. Remote backup is just another excuse for whoever provides it to make money ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back